Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Play the game of Double Dare  (Read 8820 times)

The Ol' Guy

Play the game of Double Dare
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2005, 06:28:54 PM »
I probably should have made my comment clearer (it's been a long day, the brain cells are fried)...yes, the isolation booth idea stays. The design of them seemed excessive back in the day - overdone. The camera shutter-type booth window mechanics didn't grab me, either. But like everything else, can't have everything looking like the same ol', same ol'..so I'll give them points for trying. Maybe a more side-by-side booth set for tighter shots with a good barrier between them, and when one rings in to answer - the other booth goes dark, and if the player is right, they can see the next clues for the dares on a personal monitor in their booth? It'll take just a second to open the sound and flip on the light in a dared contestant's booth instead of a longer wait for the mechanical window cover to open. Just thoughts for what they're worth...

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2005, 07:11:16 PM »
Better yet, something I saw on "Hometime" or one of those home improvement shows a few years ago.  They've got windows with embedded LCD's in them--when the LCD's are charged in one way, the crystals line up and become essentially invisible, making the window clear.  When a switch is thrown, the polarity of the crystals changes, and the window takes on a frosted look.  On "Hometime" they used it for a bathroom window in place of hanging curtains, but it would probably work pretty well as the windows on an isolation booth.
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

TimK2003

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 07:34:40 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Jun 23 2005, 01:35 PM\']Nope, it was $100 to Dr. What's-his-name, or nothing.  No bonus for a first-clue win, or for having all of them get it right.  In '77, that could have been good money, but I doubt it.
[snapback]89837[/snapback]
[/quote]

Anybody know if the spoilers got additional compensation for appearing on the shows beyond the money won in the Spoilers Round?  Since they're better associated as regular or semi-regular 'celeb' than a civilian, I would think they got paid some sort of minimum scale wage, no?

uncamark

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2005, 07:06:46 PM »
Back then, Maxene Fabe wrote that these were the perceived problems with the first "Double Dare":

1.  Having those players in the isolation booth most of the time (you only got out if you won).  I would've had Alex do the interviews with everyone standing out front and then have them enter the booths (with models to open the doors, which I'm sure Alex would've liked).

2.  Too many contestants who looked like the host, complete with moustache.  Not a problem for "J!", but a problem in 1976 daytime when all of the other shows were predominately female in contestant profiles.

3.  The host.  He was more Stiff Alex than he was on "Classic CONE-centration."

The solution that they came up with was have Johnny O cue the audience to react more.  Guess they thought that to have the audience screaming "DARE!  DARE!" when going for a Dare or "awwwing" on wrong answers would make the male contestants in the isolation booths act "TPIR" crazy.  Not to mention yelling "PLAY!" or "PASS!" on every end game clue reveal.  Didn't work.  They did have a guy who twiched and screamed a lot become a champion, so CBS featured him in promos.  Still had a moustache, though.

I loved the format of the show--I just thought that they hoked up things more than they needed to.  And I still think the show could work, if it was done right (and yes, I know they'd have to change the title--my choice would be "High Risk").  It still may've been a game show version of too hip for the room--a common criticism of so many of Jay Wolpert's concepts.

sshuffield70

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2005, 07:26:52 PM »
What the hell is wrong with calling it "Double Dare" just because another network slimed up the title?  I guess no one here remembers "Lost"?

uncamark

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2005, 08:07:06 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jun 27 2005, 06:26 PM\']What the hell is wrong with calling it "Double Dare" just because another network slimed up the title?  I guess no one here remembers "Lost"?
[snapback]90253[/snapback]
[/quote]

MTV Networks has trademarked "Double Dare."  I would assume that "television program" is one of the categories that they've trademarked it in--and "DD 2000" has still only five years old.

Also, if a title is used for two different genres (see early 80s cop show "Double Dare"), that would get by more than being used for two separate formats in the same genre over a close period of time.  That and the fact that the producers of that reality show "Lost" may not've trademarked the title is why the current drama series can use that title.

If someone has a better explanation on title registration, it would be appreciated, especially on my end.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2005, 01:03:36 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 27 2005, 07:06 PM\']Back then, Maxene Fabe wrote that these were the perceived problems with the first "Double Dare":

3.  The host.  He was more Stiff Alex than he was on "Classic CONE-centration."[/quote]

I'm confused.  Maxine Fabe wouldn't have said that Alex was stiffer than he was on CC, since CC was a decade or so from debuting when her book came out.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2005, 01:23:40 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 27 2005, 07:07 PM\']If someone has a better explanation on title registration, it would be appreciated, especially on my end.
[snapback]90257[/snapback]
[/quote]
All right.  Who wants to volunteer to write an explanation of title registration on Mark's end?

Mike Tennant

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2005, 01:25:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jun 28 2005, 12:03 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 27 2005, 07:06 PM\']Back then, Maxene Fabe wrote that these were the perceived problems with the first "Double Dare":

3.  The host.  He was more Stiff Alex than he was on "Classic CONE-centration."[/quote]

I'm confused.  Maxine Fabe wouldn't have said that Alex was stiffer than he was on CC, since CC was a decade or so from debuting when her book came out.
[snapback]90274[/snapback]
[/quote]
I think Fabe said Alex wasn't right for the show, maybe even that he was too stiff.  The bit about CC was editorial comment from Mark.

uncamark

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2005, 04:22:08 PM »
All right. Who wants to volunteer to write an explanation of title registration on Mark's end?

Are you going to be here all week?  :)

I think Fabe said Alex wasn't right for the show, maybe even that he was too stiff. The bit about CC was editorial comment from Mark.

Correctamundo.  Perhaps "HR" would've been a more proper comparison (and Fabe had the revised version on her "Only 40 Shows That Really, Really Worked" list, along with "Pro-Fan"--wha?), but I didn't want to bring into play that whole Alex-tippling-on-the-last-show old wives' tale. [Joe Pyne] And will you old wives just shut up? [JP]