Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Plans Anne Bancroft Tribute  (Read 3961 times)

itiparanoid13

GSN Plans Anne Bancroft Tribute
« on: June 08, 2005, 04:43:00 PM »
Pretty exciting for the B&WO fans, GSN will be showing 2 hours of black and white programming in tribute of Anne Bancroft's passing on June 12th starting at 12PM and ending at 2PM.  The shows will be one episode of Password and three episodes of What's My Line.  Episode detail can be found at Buzzer! in my sig.

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 07:12:40 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Jun 8 2005, 03:43 PM\']Pretty exciting for the B&WO fans, GSN will be showing 2 hours of black and white programming in tribute of Anne Bancroft's passing on June 12th starting at 12PM and ending at 2PM.  The shows will be one episode of Password and three episodes of What's My Line.  Episode detail can be found at Buzzer! in my sig.
[snapback]88316[/snapback]
[/quote]

Gotta give GSN credit for doing something like this, after just dropping the Saturday night classic blocks.

CaseyAbell

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 09:19:37 AM »
GSN's press release is here, with  details about each show. As for the axing of the Saturday night block, that didn't come as any surprise given the recent downward spiral in GSN's prime time ratings.

By the way, I notice that GSN is now claiming a 57 million household availability instead of 56 million. It will be interesting to see if the Amazing Race acquisition helps to get the network onto some more systems.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 09:21:37 AM by CaseyAbell »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 09:59:22 AM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 09:19 AM\']By the way, I notice that GSN is now claiming a 57 million household availability instead of 56 million. It will be interesting to see if the Amazing Race acquisition helps to get the network onto some more systems.[/quote]
Incremental growth like that is probably more attributable to Direct TV expanding its reach than smaller cable systems suddenly deciding they HAVE to have Extreme Dodgeball.  Still, it's all about awareness for these marginal services.  Outdoor Life is going to get a ton of publicity over their Survivor package, and GSN should see at least some other-than-ratings benefit from acquiring Race.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

CaseyAbell

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 10:05:13 AM »
No doubt the tiny increase in claimed availability doesn't reflect anything big in new system deals. Don't laugh about Dodgeball, though. It's one of the very few shows on the network that draws a non-geriatric audience, as Multichannel pointed out in its recent story. And this is a network that needs all the help it can get in demos.

Household availability has to be a big reason that OLN and GSN both bid so high for these reality shows. Both networks are stuck in the 50s and 60s and want to move up to the 80s and 90s with the big boys. If Survivor and Amazing Race perform well, the system operators will notice. If they don't perform well...$16 million just went down the drain.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 10:13:10 AM by CaseyAbell »

The Pyramids

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 09:43:33 AM »
I'll say its surprising considering how one year ago President Reagan's tribute was shown at two in the morning CST.

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 02:02:21 AM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Jun 11 2005, 08:43 AM\']I'll say its surprising considering how one year ago President Reagan's tribute was shown at two in the morning CST.
[snapback]88670[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, I can't understand how with all the people that have passed away, they decided to do a daytime tribute with Anne Bancroft.