Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interesting Bit of News From the Perfesser  (Read 12358 times)

ilb4ever2000

Interesting Bit of News From the Perfesser
« on: June 12, 2005, 02:09:57 AM »
In a story Beverly posted on TVgameshows.net about Ronald Reagan's WML? segment appearing on Game Show Moments Gone Bananas 4, he makes this mention:

Reagan's famous I've Got a Secret episode may not air again on GSN. The network is in the process of extracting all of its Goodson-Todman shows with cigarette logos and signage on the sets.

I hope you happened to record some of those. Personally, I find this ridiculous. It's a part of TV history. I'd hate to think 50-year-old shows would inspire anybody to start smoking. Did someone complain? Does that mean we won't see Two for the Money or Judge for Yourself?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 02:13:36 AM by ilb4ever2000 »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 02:19:36 AM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 01:09 AM\']Did someone complain? Does that mean we won't see Two for the Money or Judge for Yourself?
[/quote]
Probably a group of right-wing liberals or some idiotic group of conservatives.  The same special interest groups that whined when the Batman/Robin "queer" question comes up.

Anything related to smoking or the "family" is deemed offensive these days-while other crap like 2 lesbians making out on a talk show is OK.
Anyone have a spare pack of Winston Light 100s?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 02:20:27 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 02:26:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 01:19 AM\']Probably a group of right-wing liberals or some idiotic group of conservatives.  The same special interest groups that whined when the Batman/Robin "queer" question comes up.
[snapback]88729[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think you mean left-wing liberals, don't you?

Anywho, here's a quote from this article from April 25, 2005 at Wink Martindale's site about game show parodies in ads:

Brand and product names and logos were so interwoven into the fabric of the shows, Mr. Cronin said, that GSN is unable to rerun series like "I've Got a Secret" that were sponsored by cigarette brands, because it would break the rules barring tobacco advertising from TV.

Did they just discover these rules?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 02:28:49 AM by ilb4ever2000 »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 02:54:53 AM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 01:26 AM\']Did they just discover these rules?
[/quote]
In the past, they got around these rules by airing anti-smoking messages. I haven't seen those for quite some time.

That doesn't explain how on an episode of Home Improvement, they get away with smoking pipes around the poker table; or on Match Game, they smoke...I suppose they aren't technically advertising for the tobacco companies, but they are still promoting it.

And thanks for the political correction.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 01:59:15 PM »
If it was worth the trouble, the technology to eliminate the offending sponsor probably exists.  After all, they put superimposed ads in TV coverage of live sporting events these days.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

sshuffield70

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 02:04:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 12:59 PM\']If it was worth the trouble, the technology to eliminate the offending sponsor probably exists.  After all, they put superimposed ads in TV coverage of live sporting events these days.
[snapback]88745[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't give 'em any ideas.  They might actually try to promote another show that way. ;)

The Pyramids

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 03:59:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 01:19 AM\'][quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 01:09 AM\']Did someone complain? Does that mean we won't see Two for the Money or Judge for Yourself?
[/quote]
Probably a group of right-wing liberals
[/quote]

Now I know why so many members sat out the recent post about political leanings of g.s. personalities.

I will agree that the thing about old cigarette sponsors is ridicolous.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 05:41:55 PM by PaulD »

Winkfan

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 04:33:21 PM »
I hope you happened to record some of those.

I already did when they aired some years before. I guess this means they'll be skipping over some of the To Tell the Truth episodes sponsored by Marboro and Salem, as well as some Password episodes also brought to us by Salem.

Does that mean we won't see Two for the Money or Judge for Yourself?

In the words of Hal March, "YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!" And besides, there could be a tinge of "political in-correctness" in Herb Shriner's jokes, as well.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Edie McClurg of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:56:01 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 05:33:21 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 03:59 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 01:19 AM\'][quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 01:09 AM\']Did someone complain? Does that mean we won't see Two for the Money or Judge for Yourself?
[/quote]
Probably a group of right-wing liberals
[/quote]

Now I know why so many members sat out the recent posy about political leanings of g.s. personalities.
[snapback]88753[/snapback]
[/quote]

Was that supposed to be funny?  'Cause it wasn't.

Don Howard

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 05:56:05 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 02:59 PM\']Now I know why so many members sat out the recent post about political leanings of g.s. personalities.
[snapback]88753[/snapback]
[/quote]
I sat out because I didn't know the answer. How Larry Blyden and Blake Emmons voted is their business and theirs alone. Speaking of smoking, how about the way our genial host started lighting up and sucking away as soon as each episode of What's Going On ended? He's not waiting 'till the camera's off, he's draggin' away NOW!!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 05:58:34 PM by Don Howard »

xibit777

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2005, 06:11:05 PM »
Whether it says Marlboro in color or in black and white, the brand names are the same now as they were then, and it is advertising and it breaks the law.  I'm not surprised that GSN is doing this.

What I am surprised about is how they got away with doing it for this long without being heavily fined.

There is no law against smoking on camera.   That is why it's ok for the MG panel to do it.

Anyway it's kind of funny because who is really up at 2am or whenever B&W airs to see this anyway?  No kids are up this time of night.  I think they're just doing it out of legality reasons.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2005, 06:59:04 PM »
[quote name=\'xibit777\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 03:11 PM\']What I am surprised about is how they got away with doing it for this long without being heavily fined.
[/quote]

Look back through the thread.

wschmrdr

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2005, 07:07:42 PM »
I do hate these days of supposed political correctness. If anything, what it is doing is trying to discriminate against actual beliefs in general. But, I'm not going to get into idealistics of politics, since that's not the topic.

Comedy Central seems to do a "secret stash" on Sunday mornings at 1AM ET, where they show unedited versions of movies, and put a disclaimer before going back to air that this is going on and parental discretion is advised. Couldn't they do something similar with the Black & White Overnight's, especially since the show is being done at 3AM ET?

If that isn't going to suffice, then how bout getting out the picture scrambling machine? Wherever it says Winston or Salem or such, just scramble the picture over it. Then, if they say Winston or Salem or such, get out the bleeper. Unless of course that would mean totally changing the tapes. I wouldn't want that to happen, since black and white television is always a work of art, and not just something dumb to fool with.

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2005, 07:12:31 PM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 06:07 PM\']If that isn't going to suffice, then how bout getting out the picture scrambling machine? Wherever it says Winston or Salem or such, just scramble the picture over it. Then, if they say Winston or Salem or such, get out the bleeper. Unless of course that would mean totally changing the tapes. I wouldn't want that to happen, since black and white television is always a work of art, and not just something dumb to fool with.
[snapback]88782[/snapback]
[/quote]

GSN used to blur the Cavalier Cigarette signs on IGAS. Maybe they could try doing that again?

It seems GSN had a lapse in judgment (or memory) since they decided to air those Winston IGAS episodes (with no blurring or 30-year-old anti-smoking PSAs, BTW). I guess someone finally called them on it.

xibit777

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2005, 07:29:22 PM »
Why is it ok to air them if they air anti-smoking messages?   Cigarette companies can't make commercials for their product then at the end say "oh by the way, no one should smoke".   Seems odd to me that GSN was ever allowed to air them.

I think it would be too much work for them to blur out every cigarette company name and bleep every mention of it.  They would never go through all of that just to air some shows during B&W when probably very few viewers watch.