Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Celebrity Sweepstakes  (Read 3957 times)

Don Howard

Celebrity Sweepstakes
« on: June 10, 2005, 12:40:47 PM »
I must preface my comments by thanking the Cool Of Britness for plunking those four Celebrity Sweepstakes segments on your site for us. We are all in your debt. Thank you.
Boy, this is a show I miss. And it could be brought back with the same format maybe giving the players a $100 stake and making the wagers $10, $20 or $50 with $200 being permitted on the favorite. And in this age of the self-contained show {no straddling, no returning champs} it'd fit right in.
As for the civilian players, they didn't really seem to do much except wager and smile and win the money. Were Dave and Hilary just exceptions or did all the players in your memory (I realize we're going back close to 30 years here) seem to be "just there"?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 12:41:25 PM by Don Howard »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Celebrity Sweepstakes
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 01:46:54 PM »
I must disclose that this is the only parts of the show that I've ever seen either, but CS doesn't appear to be much of a strain on the brain.  Pick a star, pray that they're right.  Do it 12 more times, roll credits.  They don't have to answer the questions, or do anything else, except for the interviews at the top of the show.

Then again, I've only seen those four clips, so there might be something I don't know about.  What am I saying, "might"...
Travis L. Eberle

Jay Temple

Celebrity Sweepstakes
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 02:11:01 PM »
It even lends itself to the requisite celebrities-for-sweeps edition.  Get eight celebs that week instead of six, and each day two of them play for charity.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Celebrity Sweepstakes
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 02:40:15 PM »
I must preface my comments by thanking the Cool Of Britness for plunking those four Celebrity Sweepstakes segments on your site for us. We are all in your debt. Thank you.

Cool of Britness, Coolbritguy82, close enough. :-D

On the contestants, it was certainly not a "strain on the brain," but it was fun seeing the celebrities actually be quizzed on their general knowledge without any help designed to dumb things down.

We're keeping our eyes peeled for more episodes, because I'm betting there are at least a couple more. If it were to be brought back, I'd leave the format alone.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 02:42:19 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Celebrity Sweepstakes
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 03:35:19 PM »
I always liked it myself. At the VERY least, it's no more insipid for the players than the Gold Standard of idiotic game shows, Street Smarts.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DrBear

Celebrity Sweepstakes
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 04:20:00 PM »
With the lack of "game-worthy" celebs, I don't know. If you're going to have a Q&A with odds, bring back the 'Who, What or Where' game. And I doubt if that would fly because most folks can't be bothered with math.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

uncamark

Celebrity Sweepstakes
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 04:31:32 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Jun 10 2005, 03:20 PM\']With the lack of "game-worthy" celebs, I don't know. If you're going to have a Q&A with odds, bring back the 'Who, What or Where' game. And I doubt if that would fly because most folks can't be bothered with math.
[snapback]88607[/snapback]
[/quote]

And Ronnie Greenberg pretty much did away with odds when he brought "3Ws" back as "The Challengers" 15 years ago.  Fifteen whole years ago.

calliaume

Celebrity Sweepstakes
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 10:41:15 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' date=\'Jun 10 2005, 01:40 PM\']On the contestants, it was certainly not a "strain on the brain," but it was fun seeing the celebrities actually be quizzed on their general knowledge without any help designed to dumb things down.

We're keeping our eyes peeled for more episodes, because I'm betting there are at least a couple more. If it were to be brought back, I'd leave the format alone.
[snapback]88588[/snapback]
[/quote]
Let's hope.  Just seeing the finale was a suprise - the last time I talked to Jim MacKrell, he only had one episode in his collection (from 1975).

Neumms

Celebrity Sweepstakes
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 10:32:10 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Jun 11 2005, 09:41 AM\'] the last time I talked to Jim MacKrell, he only had one episode in his collection (from 1975).
[snapback]88673[/snapback]
[/quote]

Name-dropper! Let me ask you and the group . . . why didn't McKrell get any other shots? He was terrific, as far as I can remember. And what else did he do besides the occasional Carson sketch?

Ian Wallis

Celebrity Sweepstakes
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 08:56:35 AM »
Name-dropper! Let me ask you and the group . . . why didn't McKrell get any other shots? He was terrific, as far as I can remember. And what else did he do besides the occasional Carson sketch?

He also hosted the syndicated "Quiz Kids" in 1978.  To date, I've never seen that show.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

Celebrity Sweepstakes
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 09:20:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jun 13 2005, 07:56 AM\']

He also hosted the syndicated "Quiz Kids" in 1978.  To date, I've never seen that show.
[snapback]88836[/snapback]
[/quote]

He also hosted Barris's Game Game in 1969. In the 80s, he hosted a few pilots(Split Decision, The New Dream House) and announced on Sweethearts and Couch Potatoes(part of the run)

tyshaun1

Celebrity Sweepstakes
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 12:39:01 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 13 2005, 09:20 AM\']In the 80s, he hosted a few pilots(The New Dream House)
[snapback]88839[/snapback]
[/quote]

Was this the same Dream House that Bob Eubanks ended up hosting?

Tyshaun

uncamark

Celebrity Sweepstakes
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 02:05:05 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 13 2005, 08:20 AM\'][quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jun 13 2005, 07:56 AM\']

[snapback]88836[/snapback]
[/quote]

He also hosted Barris's Game Game in 1969. In the 80s, he hosted a few pilots(Split Decision, The New Dream House) and announced on Sweethearts and Couch Potatoes(part of the run)
[/quote]

McKrell also did warmup for "Couch Potatoes" during Joe Alaskey's stint (Marc Summers would occasionally mention him).  Therefore, when Alaskey left and they decided not to have the guy next door commenting, McKrell was the obvious replacement for announcer.

zachhoran

Celebrity Sweepstakes
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 06:53:03 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jun 13 2005, 11:39 AM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 13 2005, 09:20 AM\']In the 80s, he hosted a few pilots(The New Dream House)
[/quote]

Was this the same Dream House that Bob Eubanks ended up hosting?

Tyshaun
[snapback]88857[/snapback]
[/quote]

It was pitched at the 1987 NATPE convention for syndication, as per a picture and article in the second and last issue of TV Game Show Fever magazine.

calliaume

Celebrity Sweepstakes
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 09:52:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 09:32 PM\'][Name-dropper! Let me ask you and the group . . . why didn't McKrell get any other shots? He was terrific, as far as I can remember. And what else did he do besides the occasional Carson sketch?
[snapback]88805[/snapback]
[/quote]
Jim wanted to get into acting (and he did; he's done quite a few roles), but NBC didn't want him as a host if he was also going to act.

One credit missing is the one episode of Genesis he did for Pax in 2000 - that was why he got in touch with me.  (Also to correct me on my assumption that Celebrity Sweepstakes fed the celebs the answers to questions in advance; apparently they did not.)