Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Yet Another Trip to MT&R New York  (Read 2453 times)

That Don Guy

Yet Another Trip to MT&R New York
« on: August 08, 2003, 09:12:12 PM »
So anyway, I was in New York City for a few days in early August, and I thought I'd check out the library at MT&R.  The problem is, unless you're looking for a specific title, it's hard to find anything, as typing \"game show\" into the computer doesn't seem to want to return any matches.  \"Game\" had 250 hits - mainly sporting events, but a handful of game shows; I think What's My Line? led the list.

Anyway, here were my four:

\"NBC's All-Star Dream Machine, Day 1\" - the first day of a Wheel of Fortune Tournament of Champions, with five players from the hour version (late 1975, early 1976) and four from before the hour-long version started.  I assume the episode was from right after they went back to the half-hour version, especially as the wheels were 500-1000-1500.  There was one thing that confused me: Chuck said that one of the contestants, Rob Mandel, won $21,000 in November, but I definitely remember his big win being on the last show of 1975 (I assume he meant that it was taped in November).

A generic Gambit from either 1976 or late 1975; the tape ended right at the closing plugs, but they did say that the cars were 1976 model.  (And I always thought Elaine only showed the first card of the first game of a match in advance, but Elaine showed the first card of each game, although it's possible that it was added later in the run.)
Here's a Gambit question: Wink mentioned a game on the Gambit Galaxy board called \"Stop or Go\", but nobody hit it, and they never showed it.  Anybody out there know how it worked?  (And there was also a bonus for any couple getting an Ace in the end game  - in this case, a trip to Monte Carlo; was this a regular thing, or a one-off?)

A 1950s-era Name That Tune - nobody famous like John Glenn in it, but I had never seen that version (and I think it was the only NTT they had).

The \"sixth season premiere\" of G.E. College Bowl, with Temple at UC-Santa Barbara.  I put \"sixth season premiere\" in quotes because it was an NBC episode, produced in color (however, there was a credit for the kinescope (although they didn't call it that) process used at the end), and Robert Earle (instead of Allen Ludden) hosting, but I thought CBS ran the show for longer than six years (my copy of EOTVGS is in a box getting ready for a house move).  The familiar theme was not used at the beginning, but was at the end.

Here's something strange that happened at MT&R, in case it happens to you as well: one of the tapes just stopped about 8 minutes before it was supposed to end, as if the recording had just stopped.  When I tried reloading it, I got a \"this recording is busy\" message a couple of times, but when I did reload it and fast forwarded to the stop where it had stopped, the tape continued normally.  Don't assume that a tape ends early.

-- Don

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 06:47:55 PM »
A generic Gambit from either 1976 or late 1975; the tape ended right at the closing plugs, but they did say that the cars were 1976 model.  (And I always thought Elaine only showed the first card of the first game of a match in advance, but Elaine showed the first card of each game, although it's possible that it was added later in the run.)

She always showed the first card of each game from the beginning.

Here's a Gambit question: Wink mentioned a game on the Gambit Galaxy board called \"Stop or Go\", but nobody hit it, and they never showed it.  Anybody out there know how it worked?  (And there was also a bonus for any couple getting an Ace in the end game  - in this case, a trip to Monte Carlo; was this a regular thing, or a one-off?)

\"Stop or Go\" might've been like one of the \"top or bottom\" cards that had the contestants choose between the top or the bottom of the card for one of two prizes--one example being \"McDonalds or Maxim's?\", where they could win either a trip to the nearest McDonalds or a trip to Maxim's restaurant in Paris.  (I also think another card was \"Burbank or Bermuda?\" or something like that.)

I'm not really sure about that (or the ace bonus) because admittedly I was watching \"Wheel\" at 11 a.m. ET back then--if I didn't have to go to class.

A 1950s-era Name That Tune - nobody famous like John Glenn in it, but I had never seen that version (and I think it was the only NTT they had).

They had a Glenn/Eddie Hodges show when I visited the Museum last year--either here at the very beginning or on the old board I posted a detailed description of the episode and how it seemed to be a little tainted.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2003, 07:02:45 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Aug 8 2003, 08:12 PM\']Here's something strange that happened at MT&R, in case it happens to you as well: one of the tapes just stopped about 8 minutes before it was supposed to end, as if the recording had just stopped.  When I tried reloading it, I got a \"this recording is busy\" message a couple of times, but when I did reload it and fast forwarded to the stop where it had stopped, the tape continued normally.  Don't assume that a tape ends early.
[/quote]
I've had it happen as well, in the middle of the Wheel ep. you described...usually wait about 30 seconds to retype in the show code, and it'll be just fine.  I've also had that problem when trying to fast forward through commercials.

One other thing, on the High Rollers ep. (where Ruta walks into the chandelier), the screen is black for a few minutes, but you can hear the opening bars of the theme song (complete with audience clapping in rhythm). After about 15 seconds, you finally get video, the HR logo disappearing. Has anyone else gotten this, or is it just another glitch that's corrected if you restart?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

uncamark

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 12:17:29 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Aug 11 2003, 05:47 PM\']\"Stop or Go\" might've been like one of the \"top or bottom\" cards that had the contestants choose between the top or the bottom of the card for one of two prizes--one example being \"McDonalds or Maxim's?\", where they could win either a trip to the nearest McDonalds or a trip to Maxim's restaurant in Paris.  (I also think another card was \"Burbank or Bermuda?\" or something like that.)[/quote]
After further thought, something tells me that \"Stop or Go\" was a post-end game mini-game, like the \"Beat the House\" one hand of classic blackjack for $2,500 (and the cash jackpot for any 21) that was a Gambit Board prize.  (\"Gambit Galaxy\" only referred to the prize package that appeared frequently, which was often the highest-value item on the board.)  Elaine dealt a card and then continued to deal cards up to some maximum.  The first card was worth $100 and then the value went up with each card--but if a card with the same value (say, a second jack) came up, they lost everything and the game was over.  Therefore, the couple had the option to stop or go after every card--hence, \"Stop or Go.\"

At least it *sounds* sensible to me.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 12:20:55 PM »
There should be more fast food nearby

There's a really good Italian place a few blocks away, but I forgot which street it was on.......

That Don Guy

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2003, 09:49:07 PM »
\"Stop or Go\" might've been like one of the \"top or bottom\" cards that had the contestants choose between the top or the bottom of the card for one of two prizes--one example being \"McDonalds or Maxim's?\", where they could win either a trip to the nearest McDonalds or a trip to Maxim's restaurant in Paris.  (I also think another card was \"Burbank or Bermuda?\" or something like that.)

Burbank was the city in the \"Anniversary Dinner\" prizes (three cards per game; on the couple's next wedding anniversary, they won a trip to the city hidden behind the card - two of them were usually in Europe, and the third was always Burbank).

-- Don

uncamark

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2003, 06:09:36 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Aug 15 2003, 08:49 PM\']
"Stop or Go" might've been like one of the "top or bottom" cards that had the contestants choose between the top or the bottom of the card for one of two prizes--one example being "McDonalds or Maxim's?", where they could win either a trip to the nearest McDonalds or a trip to Maxim's restaurant in Paris.  (I also think another card was "Burbank or Bermuda?" or something like that.)

Burbank was the city in the "Anniversary Dinner" prizes (three cards per game; on the couple's next wedding anniversary, they won a trip to the city hidden behind the card - two of them were usually in Europe, and the third was always Burbank). [/quote]
 The couple goes over to the Smokehouse and has a Colortini or two with Tom Snyder.  :)