Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game shows with live music  (Read 6287 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game shows with live music
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2005, 08:31:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Jun 7 2005, 04:58 PM\']"BIG DEAL". Remember that 2002 FOX revival of "Let's Make a Deal" with live music from Big Bad Voodoo Daddy?
[/quote]
I thought so...that was 1996. I was still working at the TV station in California when that aired.

(and to further illustrate my ongoing crusade against using the IMDB as a reputable source, "Studs" is listed in his filmography, but "Big Deal" is nowhere to be seen.)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 08:31:43 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2005, 08:39:25 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 7 2005, 08:31 PM\']
(and to further illustrate my ongoing crusade against using the IMDB as a reputable source, "Studs" is listed in his filmography, but "Big Deal" is nowhere to be seen.)
[snapback]88196[/snapback]
[/quote]

The flap with Tina Wesson and "Lost" at IMDB should be a great example of why you don't use IMDB as a source.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2005, 08:40:04 PM »
Honestly, if you were DeCarlo, would you want that on your resume?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TimK2003

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2005, 09:36:12 PM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'Jun 5 2005, 06:54 AM\']Being an avowed music geek, I like to note (no pun intended) which shows featured live performers.  Hey, everyone needs a hobby...The ones I know, off the top of my head...
[snapback]87863[/snapback]
[/quote]

Here's A Few More:

PERSONALS -- Stormy Sacks did most of the music cues live at the Sheraton Hotel lounge.

HOLLYWOOD SQUARES (Davidson version) -- Some of the music cues were done live by Stormy Sacks once again, and if memory serves me right when I saw a taping back in the 80's, he was actually performing the closing credits live-to-tape.  (Then again, using a synthesyser it's pretty much programmed to play the whole theme already).

IT TAKES TWO (Clark 90's version) -- Mark Northam did most of the in studio music during the show's stunts.  The open, close & commercial cues were pre-recorded by Mark.

And didn't CAMOUFLAGE (Campbell 80's version) have someone doing the synthesized music live when contestants were tracing?

TimK2003

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2005, 09:42:53 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 7 2005, 08:31 PM\'](and to further illustrate my ongoing crusade against using the IMDB as a reputable source, "Studs" is listed in his filmography, but "Big Deal" is nowhere to be seen.)
[snapback]88196[/snapback]
[/quote]

Honestly, if you were DeCarlo, would you want that on your resume?

Once people read his IMDB, they usually say his missing show out loud anyways!!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 09:44:24 PM by TimK2003 »

uncamark

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2005, 12:28:33 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Jun 7 2005, 08:36 PM\']And didn't CAMOUFLAGE (Campbell 80's version) have someone doing the synthesized music live when contestants were tracing?
[snapback]88208[/snapback]
[/quote]

If my ears heard right, Milton DeLugg and the boys provided all of the music live, except for the inserted fee plugs (and that music could very well have been "Little Russian Song," the standard first fee plug break cue on late 70s Barris shows).

ChuckNet

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2005, 08:25:31 PM »
If my ears heard right, Milton DeLugg and the boys provided all of the music live, except for the inserted fee plugs (and that music could very well have been "Little Russian Song," the standard first fee plug break cue on late 70s Barris shows).

No, they actually used a canned version of the main theme for the fee plugs. But other than that, all the music on Camouflage was indeed live (and apparently, the orchestra changed after the first coupla wks, since the music was played at a faster tempo on the premiere than it was on later eps).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

davemackey

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2005, 11:55:38 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jun 8 2005, 08:25 PM\']

No, they actually used a canned version of the main theme for the fee plugs. But other than that, all the music on Camouflage was indeed live (and apparently, the orchestra changed after the first coupla wks, since the music was played at a faster tempo on the premiere than it was on later eps).

[snapback]88344[/snapback]
[/quote]
There was a different drummer for the first few episodes of "Camouflage" - Steve Schaeffer, who filled in for a couple of weeks of "Gong" in early 1978. Thereafter, it was Delugg mainstay Mark Stevens doing the job. The other band members were bassist Ray Neapolitan and guitarist Billy Neale.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2005, 11:36:52 AM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Jun 5 2005, 11:35 AM\']They use recordings of music because the production probably doesn't want to have to stop tape due to a viola player screwing up.[/quote]

You sure that's the reason?

It couldn't be because it's MORE EXPENSIVE to use in-studio players?
czambo@mac.com

tvrandywest

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2005, 12:51:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 07:36 AM\']It couldn't be because it's MORE EXPENSIVE to use in-studio players?
[snapback]88423[/snapback]
[/quote]
YES, that's the reason. That's what brought about the sad day when Tom Scott recorded all his tracks and the live band was dropped from Twenty One.

Played as part of the audio mix of a game show there's no way you could hear a viola player's mistake. In fact there is a bad trumpet note prominent in one of the TPiR recorded tracks. Stan Blits played it for me when we were discussing whether or not there was any synthesizer faking for the instruments. He proved his point!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Passepartout

• Happy Halloween 2021
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2005, 11:59:54 PM »
During the first season of the Lange Dating Game, there was a live band supplying the music. Forget the name of the band, but it starts with an R.
2021 Happy Halloween

zachhoran

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2005, 08:21:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Passepartout\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 10:59 PM\']During the first season of the Lange Dating Game, there was a live band supplying the music. Forget the name of the band, but it starts with an R.
[snapback]88519[/snapback]
[/quote]

The Regents

Clay Zambo

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2005, 04:42:20 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 11:51 AM\'][Played as part of the audio mix of a game show there's no way you could hear a viola player's mistake.[/quote]

I was thinking that.

The last time I attended a TPiR taping, I was amazed at how little I could hear of the music--or the announcer, for that matter.
czambo@mac.com

JepMasta

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2005, 03:40:03 AM »
sorry to revive a dead thread, but I remember "Idiot Savants" had a live band called "The Mentalists"  Also the live music on "Singled Out" and "Remote Control"

B~

ChuckNet

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2005, 06:25:42 PM »
Also the live music on "Singled Out" and "Remote Control"

RC's was supplied by Steve Trecasse(sp?), while Jon "Piano Boy" Ernst did so for SO (and later served in the same capacity on Peer Pressure).

« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 06:27:55 PM by ChuckNet »