Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game shows with live music  (Read 6821 times)

SamJ93

Game shows with live music
« on: June 05, 2005, 07:54:09 AM »
Being an avowed music geek, I like to note (no pun intended) which shows featured live performers.  Hey, everyone needs a hobby...The ones I know, off the top of my head...

-Name That Tune
-Face the Music
-The Gong Show
-The $1.98 Beauty Show
-Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego

I'm sure there are others.  Also, what was the most recent show to have live music?  "Extreme Gong" comes to mind for some reason, but I'd rather it didn't.

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 08:10:35 AM »
My best guess is Maury Povich's "Twenty-One" from five years ago.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 08:32:27 AM »
"The Pop 'n Rocker Game" immediately comes to mind. Get a question right about Culture Club, and here they are....IN PERSON!!!!

dmota104

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 09:13:34 AM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'Jun 5 2005, 06:54 AM\']Also, what was the most recent show to have live music?  "Extreme Gong" comes to mind for some reason, but I'd rather it didn't.

--Sam
[snapback]87863[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, along the same thought of talent competitions, and depending on how you want to view it, American Idol and the just-debuted Hit Me Baby One More Time each have a live band.  Granted, both shows' themes are recorded.

But, if you're just going with standard Q&A/game show fare, then the Maury Povich-hosted Twenty-One was the last to have a live band.  It was led by Tom Scott, who was also the bandleader on Pat Sajak's short-lived CBS late night show.

wschmrdr

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 12:35:27 PM »
I know they play the recording of the theme on World/Carmen at the end, and a couple other things, so I wouldn't call it totally live. However, some of the things that they did were probably live. I never attended a taping, but you can notice some mouth timings are off.

They use recordings of music because the production probably doesn't want to have to stop tape due to a viola player screwing up. (Probably the reason things are also done electronically now) I'm sure back in the 50's and 60's it provided a lot of jobs for the starving musicians. I prefer the live music because it's usually much better than the recordings used.

uncamark

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 03:53:31 PM »
[quote name=\'dmota104\' date=\'Jun 5 2005, 08:13 AM\'][quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'Jun 5 2005, 06:54 AM\']Also, what was the most recent show to have live music?  "Extreme Gong" comes to mind for some reason, but I'd rather it didn't.

--Sam
[snapback]87863[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, along the same thought of talent competitions, and depending on how you want to view it, American Idol and the just-debuted Hit Me Baby One More Time each have a live band.  Granted, both shows' themes are recorded.

But, if you're just going with standard Q&A/game show fare, then the Maury Povich-hosted Twenty-One was the last to have a live band.  It was led by Tom Scott, who was also the bandleader on Pat Sajak's short-lived CBS late night show.
[snapback]87870[/snapback]
[/quote]

You can also add "Dancing with the Stars" to the list--there's a shot of the conductor at the top of the show and the band and singers were live in the original British version.  Since the first show's long roll didn't run, we don't know if Laurie Holloway's leading the band, as he does on "Strictly Come Dancing."  (With all of the other Brits involved in the production, it could be...)

HairMetalLives

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 03:57:37 PM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Jun 5 2005, 08:35 AM\']I know they play the recording of the theme on World/Carmen at the end, and a couple other things, so I wouldn't call it totally live. However, some of the things that they did were probably live. I never attended a taping, but you can notice some mouth timings are off.
[snapback]87892[/snapback]
[/quote]

I though that all of the musical clues were recorded and then Rockapella lip-synched, but I could very well be wrong.

FeudDude

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 04:40:33 PM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jun 6 2005, 03:57 PM\']I though that all of the musical clues were recorded and then Rockapella lip-synched, but I could very well be wrong.
[snapback]88029[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think Rockapella's ad-libs during the loot/warrant/crook round were done live.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 05:00:24 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Carmen Sandiego came on long before Povich "Twenty-One."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TunaHead

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 08:22:11 PM »
This is definitely an interesting topic... As I recall, most of the work on Carmen by Rockapella was done by a recording... However, loot/warrant/crook was live. The skits were also live, but the music was not done live. This includes the theme, and any of the other songs. I just reviewed a tape where they sang Zombie Jamborie on the show, compared it to a recording I have, and it matches.

HairMetalLives

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 10:36:25 PM »
[quote name=\'FeudDude\' date=\'Jun 6 2005, 12:40 PM\']I think Rockapella's ad-libs during the loot/warrant/crook round were done live.
[snapback]88040[/snapback]
[/quote]

You're right; I forgot about those. They were live.

wschmrdr

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 05:07:27 PM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jun 6 2005, 03:57 PM\'][quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Jun 5 2005, 08:35 AM\']I know they play the recording of the theme on World/Carmen at the end, and a couple other things, so I wouldn't call it totally live. However, some of the things that they did were probably live. I never attended a taping, but you can notice some mouth timings are off.
[snapback]87892[/snapback]
[/quote]

I though that all of the musical clues were recorded and then Rockapella lip-synched, but I could very well be wrong.
[snapback]88029[/snapback]
[/quote]

Maybe they simply used pre-recorded segments to make it as live-musicy as possible. The theme was DEFINITELY lip-sync.

When they asked Elliott to do the cues for the 2nd round by himself, DEFINITELY live. I'll agree with you on the other ones being live, since they responded "You're Welcome" with Greg saying Thank You.

Yes, Carmen came before "21", but they both have live music associated with them.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2005, 05:13:55 PM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Jun 7 2005, 02:07 PM\']Yes, Carmen came before "21", but they both have live music associated with them.
[/quote]
Thank you for that, but the question the OP had asked for the MOST RECENT show to have live music featured.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robair

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2005, 07:58:08 PM »
And this might well be the answer.

"BIG DEAL". Remember that 2002 FOX revival of "Let's Make a Deal" with live music from Big Bad Voodoo Daddy?

How soon you all forget? (I think it post-dated "Twenty-One"...)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 07:59:06 PM by Robair »
--Robair

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005, 08:06:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Jun 7 2005, 07:58 PM\']"BIG DEAL". Remember that 2002 FOX revival of "Let's Make a Deal" with live music from Big Bad Voodoo Daddy?[/quote]
Big Deal was in 1996.  I can't believe it's been almost a decade either.