Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Michael Jackson verdict?  (Read 2777 times)

zachhoran

Michael Jackson verdict?
« on: June 13, 2005, 10:16:36 PM »
Did/would the MJ verdict coming out this afternoon warrant cutting into a game show? As it's an entertainment story and not as pressing as a weather alert or a Bush pep rally, discuss.

jasonatsmtc

Michael Jackson verdict?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 10:20:34 PM »
All i can say is...ok im speechless...
I dont personally know what happened in these cases, but i thought he mustve been guilty...at least from what I heard from the media..
Oh well...another page turned in the sad history of our judicial system...

catkins522

Michael Jackson verdict?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 10:22:24 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 13 2005, 09:16 PM\']Did/would the MJ verdict coming out this afternoon warrant cutting into a game show? As it's an entertainment story and not as pressing as a weather alert or a Bush pep rally, discuss.
[snapback]88931[/snapback]
[/quote]

However, this IS a major celebity event, just like OJ Simpson.  If I were the CEO at CBS, I'd show it.

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

Chelsea Thrasher

Michael Jackson verdict?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 10:26:35 PM »
It's been shown that most US viewers flock to Celebrity Trial-related matters like ants to a picnic - any major media outlet with a news division would have to be slightly off their rocker to pass up the sensationalistic tablotainment that is this type of event.

MCArroyo1

Michael Jackson verdict?
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 10:28:39 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 13 2005, 09:16 PM\']Did/would the MJ verdict coming out this afternoon warrant cutting into a game show? As it's an entertainment story and not as pressing as a weather alert or a Bush pep rally, discuss.
[/quote]
Exactly.  From an ethical standpoint, this is a stupid story to begin with, and SHOULDN'T be force-fed down viewers' throats no matter what network they tune in to.  In the perfect world, it'd be relegated to the last ten minutes of some regular newscast.  It's just another story only making headlines because it involves a singer everybody's heard of.

But it just wouldn't make sense from a financial perspective.  Celeb-obsessed fans make up a good chunk of the world's population (I'm just not one of them), and they'd just change the channel to another one showing the results of the trial.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 11:54:25 PM by MCArroyo1 »

BrandonFG

Michael Jackson verdict?
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 10:33:05 PM »
[/quote]

Yes, it's a celebrity's court case (overblown as it is), and considering the height of MJ's fame (nevermind the fact that he hasn't had a really good song since the early-90s), it's big enough to interrupt a game show. This case has been the top story for months now, and to not give the results of the pivotal moment would defeat the purpose of the whole trial. And it's not like game shows were the only thing interrupted; the announcement came in Norfolk around 4:30, and interrupted "Extra," "Montel," and "Oprah," yes Oprah. So it's not like the fanbois here were the only ones missing their show.

Besides, if a network wants to get ratings and gain credibility as a news source, you're damn right they're going to interrupt Meredith or Alex. Folks will get over it, and if they don't, then they need to realign their priorities.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Michael Jackson verdict?
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 10:43:33 PM »
to not give the results of the pivotal moment would defeat the purpose of the whole trial
Wait, I thought the purpose of the trial was to find him guilty or innocent.

tyshaun1

Michael Jackson verdict?
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 10:45:13 PM »
[quote name=\'jasonatsmtc\' date=\'Jun 13 2005, 10:20 PM\']All i can say is...ok im speechless...
I dont personally know what happened in these cases, but i thought he mustve been guilty...at least from what I heard from the media..
Oh well...another page turned in the sad history of our judicial system...
[snapback]88934[/snapback]
[/quote]

You actually took what the media said at face value? And on top of that, you said you didn't keep up with the case, but you call it sad day for the justice system? Trust me- this was NOWHERE near an open and shut case like OJ.

Tyshaun

BrandonFG

Michael Jackson verdict?
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 10:54:51 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jun 13 2005, 09:43 PM\']
to not give the results of the pivotal moment would defeat the purpose of the whole trial
Wait, I thought the purpose of the trial was to find him guilty or innocent.
[snapback]88941[/snapback]
[/quote]

OK, let me rephrase that. ;-)

Of course the trial is to find him guilty or innocent, and they found him the latter. (Oh, shit I should've used a spoiler! Oh well what the hell)

What I should've said was to not give the results of the pivotal moment after all the overblown media coverage would've defeated the purpose of covering the trial.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Michael Jackson verdict?
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 11:02:16 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jun 13 2005, 07:54 PM\']What I should've said was to not give the results of the pivotal moment after all the overblown media coverage would've defeated the purpose of covering the trial.
[/quote]
Which basically says that the media made it a story because they wanted it to be, not because it was actually a story.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GS Warehouse

Michael Jackson verdict?
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 11:19:19 PM »
Isn't most everything in reruns now anyway?  If so, I'm not missing anything, and that's all I'm saying.