Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Burt Reynolds and Marc Summers  (Read 11646 times)

johnnya2k3

Burt Reynolds and Marc Summers
« on: May 26, 2005, 07:58:41 PM »
I'm sure you've seen the video of Burt Reynolds "playfully" slapping a WCBS-TV producer in the face while interviewing him at the New York premiere of the "Longest Yard" remake with Adam Sandler and Chris Rock, which he's in. Of course, he starred in the original 1974 version that catapulted him to stardom.

Now this incident reminds me of The Tonight Show in 1994, when Burt sort of played around with Marc Summers and spilled some water from his mug on him; a clip of it -- as well as Marc's comments on that -- was played on Inside Edition yesterday. Anyone recall that?

Jonathan Allen

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 08:08:10 PM »
No, but TPIR's Anitra and Burt had a wee bit of an altercation in the original movie.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 08:12:57 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

dazztardly

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 09:32:09 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'May 26 2005, 06:58 PM\']I'm sure you've seen the video of Burt Reynolds "playfully" slapping a WCBS-TV producer in the face while interviewing him at the New York premiere of the "Longest Yard" remake with Adam Sandler and Chris Rock, which he's in. Of course, he starred in the original 1974 version that catapulted him to stardom.

Now this incident reminds me of The Tonight Show in 1994, when Burt sort of played around with Marc Summers and spilled some water from his mug on him; a clip of it -- as well as Marc's comments on that -- was played on Inside Edition yesterday. Anyone recall that?

Jonathan Allen
[snapback]86651[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm surprised Marc didn't clocked Burt. He came close. I would have loved to see that. :)

-Dan

Johnissoevil

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 02:52:35 PM »
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' date=\'May 27 2005, 09:32 AM\']Yeah, I'm surprised Marc didn't clocked Burt. He came close. I would have loved to see that. :)

-Dan
[snapback]86723[/snapback]
[/quote]

Now how's *that* for a physical challenge?  :-)
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 04:35:18 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'May 26 2005, 07:58 PM\']I'm sure you've seen the video of Burt Reynolds "playfully" slapping a WCBS-TV producer in the face while interviewing him at the New York premiere of the "Longest Yard" remake with Adam Sandler and Chris Rock, which he's in. Of course, he starred in the original 1974 version that catapulted him to stardom.

Now this incident reminds me of The Tonight Show in 1994, when Burt sort of played around with Marc Summers and spilled some water from his mug on him; a clip of it -- as well as Marc's comments on that -- was played on Inside Edition yesterday. Anyone recall that?[/quote]
I'm not going to remove the thread or anything, but you made a specific point in your header that this was game show related.  I know, because what you said was "Yes, it's game show related."  What on earth makes you think this is so?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 04:35:38 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 04:37:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'May 27 2005, 03:35 PM\']What on earth makes you think this is so?
[/quote]
Because Pat O'Brien told him so.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 07:44:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'May 27 2005, 04:37 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'May 27 2005, 03:35 PM\']What on earth makes you think this is so?
[/quote]
Because Pat O'Brien told him so.[/quote]
Well, alright then.

BTW, since this is appropriate to a discussion of The Longest Yard and not to game shows (making it, therefore, doubly appropriate in this thread), Eddie Albert has died at the age of 99.  Y'all know him as Farmer Douglas on Green Acres, but I remember him as the evil warden in the Burt Reynolds flick.  Legend has it that Albert was told to base his performance on then-president Nixon!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 07:47:57 PM by Matt Ottinger »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 07:58:35 PM »
According to Alex McNeil's "Total Television," Eddie Albert was one of the hosts of the 50's daytime game "On Your Account."

Another interesting tidbit, In the 1978 movie "The End," Burt Reynolds father was played by Pat O'Brien.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 05:22:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 27 2005, 03:58 PM\']According to Alex McNeil's "Total Television," Eddie Albert was one of the hosts of the 50's daytime game "On Your Account."

Another interesting tidbit, In the 1978 movie "The End," Burt Reynolds father was played by Pat O'Brien.
[snapback]86761[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes, but not THAT[/i] Pat O'Brien (who was a TV reporter in Chicago at the time); the one who played Knute Rockne and starred in "Some Like it Hot". He died in 1983.

Jonathan Allen

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 10:22:50 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'May 28 2005, 05:22 AM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 27 2005, 03:58 PM\']According to Alex McNeil's "Total Television," Eddie Albert was one of the hosts of the 50's daytime game "On Your Account."

Another interesting tidbit, In the 1978 movie "The End," Burt Reynolds father was played by Pat O'Brien.[/quote]
Yes, but not THAT[/i] Pat O'Brien (who was a TV reporter in Chicago at the time); the one who played Knute Rockne and starred in "Some Like it Hot". He died in 1983.[/quote]
Wow, not only a WHOOSH for the original poster, but proof that he's still checking out his thread and yet not answering the *cough cough* moderator's question about why he claimed his original comment is game show related.

Don Howard

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 10:27:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'May 28 2005, 09:22 AM\']Wow, not only a WHOOSH for the original poster, but proof that he's still checking out his thread and yet not answering the *cough cough* moderator's question about why he claimed his original comment is game show related.
[snapback]86789[/snapback]
[/quote]
I suspect that's because he's realized he's busted. No connection whatsoever aside from the vague Marc Summers reference.
Keeping this further from the realm of game shows, did Glenn Scarpelli have a role in The Longest Yard? If not, did his father take him to see it at the local cinema?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 10:30:04 AM by Don Howard »

johnnya2k3

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 02:42:23 PM »
All right; there IS a connection to this. Burt made a few game show appearances early in his career; I remember seeing a clip when he was asked to spell "cummerbund". Don't know what show was that from, but one of the Most Outrageous Game Show Moments specials also ran an "It's Your Bet" clip that featured Burt.

Oh yeah...he and the late Bert Convy co-executive produced "Win, Lose, or Draw."

Jonathan Allen

GS Warehouse

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 02:54:30 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'May 28 2005, 01:42 PM\']... I remember seeing a clip when [Burt] was asked to spell "cummerbund". ...
[snapback]86803[/snapback]
[/quote]
I just read a column on Yahoo! Sports that says if the NHL doesn't settle their labor dispute by next month, the 2005-06 season will be cancelled.  I can just imagine ESPN filling the time with something like Burt Reynolds' Celebrity Spelling Bee.  Ppllbt.  If we want spelling, there's already Lingo.

uncamark

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 04:37:44 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'May 28 2005, 01:54 PM\'][quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'May 28 2005, 01:42 PM\']... I remember seeing a clip when [Burt] was asked to spell "cummerbund". ...
[snapback]86803[/snapback]
[/quote]
I just read a column on Yahoo! Sports that says if the NHL doesn't settle their labor dispute by next month, the 2005-06 season will be cancelled.  I can just imagine ESPN filling the time with something like Burt Reynolds' Celebrity Spelling Bee.  Ppllbt.  If we want spelling, there's already Lingo.
[snapback]86807[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, considering that the umpteenth repeat(s) of the World Series of Poker pulled better numbers for the ESPN Family of Networks than the NHL...

Could be worse.  Could renew "Roommates."  BOO-yah!

tyshaun1

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 05:00:25 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 31 2005, 04:37 PM\']Could be worse.  Could renew "Roommates."  BOO-yah!
[snapback]87226[/snapback]
[/quote]

It can be worse, the name of the show is "Teammates". booyah.

If canceling the '06 season gets me another season of "Stump The Schwab", I'm down with it.

Tyshaun