Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Price Is Right  (Read 17924 times)

Jimmy Owen

The Price Is Right
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2005, 08:43:24 PM »
Something they could cut out is the descriptions of items for which they don't receive promotional consideration.  The other day they showed a jar of Jif peanut butter with Rich never mentioning the brand in his copy.  This leads me to believe it could have been any old peanut butter, so why even give it a close up?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 08:44:57 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Unrealtor

The Price Is Right
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 09:06:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 26 2005, 07:43 PM\']Something they could cut out is the descriptions of items for which they don't receive promotional consideration.  The other day they showed a jar of Jif peanut butter with Rich never mentioning the brand in his copy.  This leads me to believe it could have been any old peanut butter, so why even give it a close up?
[snapback]86658[/snapback]
[/quote]

It would make it pretty obvious which products were paid for, and, if you're alternating between two different cameras for the product shots, as most of the games do, you don't have a lot of time to get set up for the next shot.

My thought, though this would destroy a good bit of the the live-to-tape aspect, would be to cut the one-bids down to the bid, and no "what are the bids?," no turning to the audience, no "Karen? Karen? KAREN...," etc. Ideally, no more than 15 seconds between the end of the prize copy and the contestant on his/her way up the stairs.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

joshg

The Price Is Right
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 09:17:51 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 26 2005, 03:03 PM\']I gotta think Line 'Em Up would go faster than Money Game.
[snapback]86637[/snapback]
[/quote]

Doh! Forgot about that one. You're right, Line 'Em Up moves somewhat swiftly along. Ten Chances is painful when an einstein is playing. Pocket Change is fun, except when people don't get the concept of picking an envelope and not peeking inside. What about Cover Up? That isn't too rough, unless the contestant is taking numbers from the wrong columns.
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

hines2000

The Price Is Right
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2005, 11:50:25 PM »
I would take roadgeek's idea and do it at the start of each HALF - call 4 people to come on down and bid on a prize. After the bids are "locked-in" the player closest without going over plays first, next closest second, etc. If more than one player has over-bid then the closest wins - giving priority to the players who underbid.
Example: prize value is $1200... player A bids $1100, player B bids $1400 (in 5.71 seconds), player C bids $1400 (in 6.49 seconds), player D bids $1300. First game is played by player A ... second by player D ... third by player B and player C (along with the remaining player from the other half) gets a consolation prize. By the way, any player who bids exactly right wins a $1,500 bonus (split if more than one player gets it exactly right and plays a pricing game).

Eric

quote from roadgeek:

Problem there is, how would you assign each player to his/her pricing game without the one-bids? While I'm in Fantasyland, I'll throw this out (my apologies for ripping off Greed): just consolidate all the one-bids at the beginning of the show.

1) Right now, nine contestants are in Contestants' Row each episode -- just call all nine of them up together at once during the intro.

2) Everyone secretly bids on the IUFB.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Price Is Right
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2005, 11:57:50 PM »
A: Because it disrupts the flow of a thread.

Q: Why does top-posting suck?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
The Price Is Right
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2005, 12:33:58 AM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'May 26 2005, 07:32 PM\']I think I'm going to be the minorty here but I like the fast pace 'TPIR' of today.

I like how quick, to the point games like 'One Right Price' keeps the show moving and keep up w/ the audience. I like Bob's quick seque to the first item up for bid and on and on.
[snapback]86657[/snapback]
[/quote]
When you get a little older, you'll learn it's better to do some things slowly...it's better in the end.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 01:40:09 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The Price Is Right
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2005, 01:43:44 AM »
The ideas put forth seem to complicate the format more than they would help.

I say, if you're going to make a change, cut the one-bids.  Everyone knows (or should know) the proper strategy.  I would rather see good players play a game wrll than watch Frat Boy Frank fumble for how long, asking what the bids are, asking what the highest bid is, then settling on $420.  Yah hoo.

I watch TPIR for the games.  If I had my druthers, they'd cut the SCSD and Showcases, but I know they won't.  Just pitch the one-bids.
Travis L. Eberle

zachhoran

The Price Is Right
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2005, 07:37:42 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'May 27 2005, 12:43 AM\']
I watch TPIR for the games.  If I had my druthers, they'd cut the SCSD and Showcases, but I know they won't.  Just pitch the one-bids.
[snapback]86709[/snapback]
[/quote]

How about editing out the overbids and booed SCSD spins. That is something more feasible for TPIR to do than ditch the one-bids, seeing how well that worked on TNPIR94.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 07:38:10 AM by zachhoran »

BrandonFG

The Price Is Right
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2005, 08:16:53 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 27 2005, 06:37 AM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'May 27 2005, 12:43 AM\']
I watch TPIR for the games.  If I had my druthers, they'd cut the SCSD and Showcases, but I know they won't.  Just pitch the one-bids.
[snapback]86709[/snapback]
[/quote]

How about editing out the overbids and booed SCSD spins. That is something more feasible for TPIR to do than ditch the one-bids, seeing how well that worked on TNPIR94.
[snapback]86717[/snapback]
[/quote]

If there's more than one overbid, then maybe. No to booed SCSD spins. It's actually an old tradition that I'd like them to keep.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

The Price Is Right
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2005, 09:26:02 AM »
The one-bids must stay.  That's what bothered me about the Davidson version.  Because all games are not of equal value; some people play for a motor home and some a washer dryer.  I'd rather have the players win the right to get on stage than have the producers select who is going to play what game.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Price Is Right
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2005, 12:41:04 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 27 2005, 04:37 AM\']That is something more feasible for TPIR to do than ditch the one-bids, seeing how well that worked on TNPIR94.
[/quote]
If you think the lack of one-bids are what killed TNPiR'94, then you're a.....

oh, never mind. You're already Zach.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

wschmrdr

The Price Is Right
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2005, 02:11:13 PM »
A few ideas:

Most of the contestant's row time taken is because the contestants think they can just depend on the audience. How about we keep the audience quiet for contestant's row and give the contestants a 5-count to get their bid in? Then it'll seem like the contestants are playing and not the audience.

Here's one: How about dump the Showcase Showdown? After everyone plays their pricing games, the top 2 winners go to the showcase, just like old times sake? You might want to modify it a little bit so the contestants playing stuff like clock game and poker game aren't instantly screwed because they don't play for 16,000+. Maybe have the top winner from $8000+ potential games and the top winner from <$8000 potential games go to the showcase (with of course wild cards in case one or both do not have winners).

Jimmy Owen

The Price Is Right
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2005, 02:21:42 PM »
Would doing the showdown once a show with six players be faster than twice a show with three?

cmjb13

The Price Is Right
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2005, 02:29:44 PM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'May 27 2005, 02:11 PM\']How about we keep the audience quiet for contestant's row and give the contestants a 5-count to get their bid in? Then it'll seem like the contestants are playing and not the audience.[/quote]
Sometimes it's quiet enough without even asking them to be quiet.

Here's one: How about dump the Showcase Showdown?
I would think that they would never get rid of the wheel.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

cmjb13

The Price Is Right
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2005, 02:31:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 27 2005, 02:21 PM\']Would doing the showdown once a show with six players be faster than twice a show with three?
[snapback]86734[/snapback]
[/quote]
Eliminating the tape down, setup & removal of the 2nd showcase, should save some time.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS