Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Price Is Right  (Read 17936 times)

Don Howard

The Price Is Right
« on: May 26, 2005, 10:16:33 AM »
Television's most exciting hour of fantastic prizes is zipping by at the speed of the Concorde these days because of the length of the commercial breaks. While viewing the tape of the Million Dollar Spectacular which ran in mid-April (I was hanging out with Five-O when it first ran and am just now playing back the VHS), it was zip-zip-zip. The announcement of the Showcase winner's record breaking total was mentioned seemingly as an afterthought because Bob had to sign off and get out. Even the million-dollar spin seemed rushed. They would've had to chop-ho heavily in the editing bay had the $1M been won. And I can't remember the last time Bob was able to deliver opening remarks at the start of The Hour Of Power.
Since we know the time for spots will never be reduced, should they scale the number of pricing games played to four--two each half hour with the Showcase Showdown played by two contestants per segment instead of three? The first commercial could be called for after the bids have been made on the first Contestants' Row item. "We'll find out the actual retail of that surfboard and play our first pricing game after these words".
What say you?

Jimmy Owen

The Price Is Right
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 11:08:16 AM »
A few years ago (and it might have been on ATGS) I suggested a fabulous 90-minute Price Is Right with no real changes except a slightly slower pace and more commercials.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

CarShark

The Price Is Right
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 11:15:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'May 26 2005, 09:16 AM\']And I can't remember the last time Bob was able to deliver opening remarks at the start of The Hour Of Power. [/quote]
I thought he stopped doing the monologues a long time ago.

Since we know the time for spots will never be reduced, should they scale the number of pricing games played to four--two each half hour with the Showcase Showdown played by two contestants per segment instead of three?
I don't think that's really necessary. If I were to guess, I'd say that most games run between two to four minutes. I think careful planning could help free enough time for some interaction. Since Hole in One always takes at least six minutes to play as does Three Strikes (on a good day), it behooves The Powers That Be to make up for it. That's probably why some shows have skipped SP games all together.

My fix? Get the one-bids done with faster! There was a week of shows about a month back where the average time for one-bid rounds was around 20 seconds! That week had more interaction than any other, and that includes Barker's constant rambling about how fast the bids were coming! We're back to normal now, with people asking what the bids are more than once a round, the staring into space, and my personal fave, the Back to Barker Stance.

If it starts to get any more ridiculous, I say cut the one-bids. I know, I know. People are going to say, "That's the way it's always been done." To which I say, "That's not much of an argument." Times have changed since 1972, and the game should be able to as well. This strict following of a format is definitely more harm than good. Besides, I think it's safe to say that people only get really excited when playing for cars and cash and never for dining room groups (judging by their oh-so-fake facial expressions), and that they don't care too much about the ugly, overpriced baseball glove chair that they just won or the supply of Zim's Crack Creme that came with it.

The extra time would also allow for more playings of longer, more expensive, and arguably better car games like Pathfinder, Hole in One, Ten Chances and Temptation (instead of Money Game at Mach 2). This would also allow for more playings of very rare games like Shell Game, Joker, and Poker Game. That seems like more than a fair trade-off to me. Also, everyone would be spared the frustration of watching the sea of stupidity Contestants' Row can be. No more $420s. No more $...69s. No more one-unders. That's so much good right there.

People might also say, "But that's the only tie to the original PiR with Bill Cullen." To which I say, "So what?" Most people don't even know that a pre-Barker Price existed, anyways. Also, from all of the episodes I watched (plenty of them), I could say that the "one-bid only" round was the most disliked. I often heard an audible groan whenever it was that time, likely because of the obvious advantage the fourth bidder got. It's easily expendable.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 11:25:14 AM by CarShark »

Ian Wallis

The Price Is Right
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 12:28:54 PM »
Television's most exciting hour of fantastic prizes is zipping by at the speed of the Concorde these days because of the length of the commercial breaks.

I was looking at the DVD set of "Seinfeld's" fourth season, which was just released.  I noticed the box stated that the episodes are 1-2 minutes longer than the syndie eps and haven't been seen in full since their original airing.  (For the record, the first three seasons all say the same thing too).  I was really surprised by this statement - I had thought by the mid-90s there was no need to edit for syndication anymore because of the increased time for commercials in prime time.  For '60s and '70s shows, there's quite a bit chopped off of the syndie eps, but I didn't think '90s episodes needed to be edited further.  

Eventually "Price" may have to change the format if commercial time keeps increasing.  I hope they still have six pricing games though.  If it's reduced to four, it will give fewer people a chance to get up on stage.  This format's worked well for years and - I guess I'm just resistant to change!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Neumms

The Price Is Right
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 04:51:06 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' date=\'May 26 2005, 10:15 AM\']
My fix? Get the one-bids done with faster! There was a week of shows about a month back where the average time for one-bid rounds was around 20 seconds! That week had more interaction than any other, and that includes Barker's constant rambling about how fast the bids were coming! We're back to normal now, with people asking what the bids are more than once a round, the staring into space, and my personal fave, the Back to Barker Stance.

[snapback]86589[/snapback]
[/quote]

It seems about time for them to invest in an off-camera display so contestants can just read what everyone else bid. Maybe Barker could invoke a three-second rule as Dawson did on FF. Some of the idiots won't get to bid then, but it's a small price to pay.

Another way to save time would be to assume after a few decades on the air Barker could dispense with reading the Showcase and Showdown rules.

cmjb13

The Price Is Right
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 05:05:39 PM »
I think if anything you'd see a more quick games being created and played.

A solution would be to eliminate the live to tape aspect of the show. If the show goes a bit long, so be it. Just edit it down for TV if needed.

Downside of course, is more work (for staff) and more money (for studio time).

At least it would come off a bit better on TV. The live audience doesn't care. It goes fast enough as it is.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

DrJWJustice

The Price Is Right
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 05:53:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'May 26 2005, 09:16 AM\']Since we know the time for spots will never be reduced, should they scale the number of pricing games played to four--two each half hour with the Showcase Showdown played by two contestants per segment instead of three? The first commercial could be called for after the bids have been made on the first Contestants' Row item. "We'll find out the actual retail of that surfboard and play our first pricing game after these words".
What say you?
[snapback]86580[/snapback]
[/quote]
You're coming dangerously close to Pearson-izing the show with this.

joshg

The Price Is Right
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 06:41:26 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 26 2005, 01:05 PM\']I think if anything you'd see more quick games being created and played.
[snapback]86619[/snapback]
[/quote]

'Double Double Prices' anyone? Because of the nature of the format, we're stuck with games that are quick and games that take f-o-r-e-v-e-r when stupid people play. Yes, on some days Bob sounds like he's late for a bus, but at his age aren't we lucky that he can still remember all the different rules to the games? Although, the other day he did forget that the prize is revealed before the dollars and cents items in 'Hi-Lo'. (and boy did Bart scramble to cover that).

Speaking of car games, is 'Money Game' the shortest game to play? None of the other car games spring to mind.

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

xibit777

The Price Is Right
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 06:43:55 PM »
We can all say what we want, but absolutely NOTHING drastic is going to happen to the show as long as Barker is still around.  He only has a few years left if even that much.  There is just no way he would change anything about the show the last few years.  

After he retires, that might be another question.  I would hope they do something to address this issue after he retires.  It's getting pretty ridiculous now.  They're taking one huge fun part of the show out (the contestants) by rushing.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Price Is Right
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 07:03:27 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'May 26 2005, 03:41 PM\']Speaking of car games, is 'Money Game' the shortest game to play? None of the other car games spring to mind.
[/quote]
I gotta think Line 'Em Up would go faster than Money Game.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

roadgeek

The Price Is Right
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 07:19:11 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' date=\'May 26 2005, 10:15 AM\']If it starts to get any more ridiculous, I say cut the one-bids.
[snapback]86589[/snapback]
[/quote]
Problem there is, how would you assign each player to his/her pricing game without the one-bids?  While I'm in Fantasyland, I'll throw this out (my apologies for ripping off Greed): just consolidate all the one-bids at the beginning of the show.

1) Right now, nine contestants are in Contestants' Row each episode -- just call all nine of them up together at once during the intro.

2) Everyone secretly bids on the IUFB.

3) The six people closest to the ARV (without going over, of course) win, and get to play the pricing games.  If more than three players overbid then, I don't know... either drop the "overbid rule" or have them fight a deathmatch in a cage.  Whatever floats your boat.  :)

4) The six players play their pricing games.  The closest bidders play for more valuable prizes.

clemon79

The Price Is Right
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 07:30:02 PM »
[quote name=\'roadgeek\' date=\'May 26 2005, 04:19 PM\']Problem there is, how would you assign each player to his/her pricing game without the one-bids?  While I'm in Fantasyland, I'll throw this out (my apologies for ripping off Greed): just consolidate all the one-bids at the beginning of the show.

1) Right now, nine contestants are in Contestants' Row each episode -- just call all nine of them up together at once during the intro.

2) Everyone secretly bids on the IUFB.

3) The six people closest to the ARV (without going over, of course) win, and get to play the pricing games.  If more than three players overbid then, I don't know... either drop the "overbid rule" or have them fight a deathmatch in a cage.  Whatever floats your boat.  :)
[/quote]
What's the difference between this and just calling six people down and having them play the six games in the order they were selected? Ya know, kinda EXACTLY HOW THEY DID IT on the Doug Davidson version?

roadgeek

The Price Is Right
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 07:55:53 PM »
There's very little difference... but it's able to keep the Contestants' Row, and orders the contestants according to the one-bid.

clemon79

The Price Is Right
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 08:29:02 PM »
[quote name=\'roadgeek\' date=\'May 26 2005, 04:55 PM\']There's very little difference... but it's able to keep the Contestants' Row, and orders the contestants according to the one-bid.
[/quote]
My point is, you said:
[quote name=\'roadgeek\' date=\'May 26 2005, 04:19 PM\']Problem there is, how would you assign each player to his/her pricing game without the one-bids?
[/quote]
...and I'm saying that axing that feature altogether evidently hasn't been a problem for them in the past.

The Pyramids

The Price Is Right
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 08:32:56 PM »
I think I'm going to be the minorty here but I like the fast pace 'TPIR' of today.

I like how quick, to the point games like 'One Right Price' keeps the show moving and keep up w/ the audience. I like Bob's quick seque to the first item up for bid and on and on.