Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Eddie Timanus profile on The Health Network  (Read 4076 times)

thgames65

Eddie Timanus profile on The Health Network
« on: August 06, 2003, 01:19:12 AM »
Caught the tail end of a segment on Jeopardy! Masters contestant Eddie Timanus on the basic cable channel The Health Network tonight.  The title of the program is called Health Specials, and the theme appeared to be \"Beating the Odds.\"  They followed him on his job at USA Today, showing how he is able to report on sporting events with the assistance of a sighted person.  For his hobbies, showed a couple of clips from J! along with showing him bowling (!) using a handrail to guide him on the approach, but the actual lane/gutter area is as usual.  It looks like this show might be replayed on Wednesday, if anyone is interested in trying to catch it.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2003, 06:53:46 PM »
That guy is simply amazing and very inspiring, even though I don't think he tries to be.  I wouldn't be surprised if he knew how to drive.

Brandon Brooks

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2003, 06:56:50 PM »
That guy is simply amazing and very inspiring, even though I don't think he tries to be.  I wouldn't be surprised if he knew how to drive.

Eddie just takes everything in stride with no remorse and no regrets and I don't think would have it any other way.  He is a continual inspiration and someone I'm very happy to know.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 08:22:08 PM »
Please let him know that we'd love to have him as a member here.  For those of you who don't know, Eddie was an occasional contributor to the Usenet group.  I'm not sure, however, whether the special software he uses is advanced enough to read a message board like this, which is probably a lot more complicated than a Usenet server would be.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dmota104

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 06:41:59 AM »
In search of a feel-good story for the holidays on my radio show, I had Eddie join me on RockTrax via telephone from his USA Today office.

The interview aired several weeks after his original $69,700 five-day reign as champ.  Wish I had it still on tape -- darn machine didn't record it!  :(

Timsterino

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003, 07:30:08 AM »
Wow, did I admire Eddie on Jeopardy! He just amazed me. Every show he was on was awesome to watch.  Just to memorize the categories and available dollar amounts was amazing. Not withstanding that he kicked butt despite his obstacles.

Tim :-)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2003, 07:30:25 AM by Timsterino »

SteveRep

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 11:52:41 AM »
That sighted person -- for most of the time -- would be his father, Chuck. You couldn't wish to meet two nicer, more down-to-earth people .... ever.

I met Chuck when doing volunteer work at one of the DC-area public TV stations (one that isn't PBS, if you can imagine that) and then met Eddie at the lacrosse Final Four one year at the U of Maryland.

He winds up with a better understanding of the game he's attending that I do.