Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Young Bloods Poker overrruns  (Read 4293 times)

davemackey

Young Bloods Poker overrruns
« on: May 21, 2005, 08:24:37 AM »
The show actually ran 2:17, so I hope you guys weren't taping it expecting it to be a pat two hours. The commentators explained that for this tournament, none of the hands would be edited out and every hand would be shown. The following shows were joined in progress (including the repeat of "Celebrity Blackjack" immediately following).

One little thing I noticed - former "Battle Of The Sexes" participant Karina Jett is now helping out on the production staff on these shows.

Now my question is, WHY does GSN ruin the continuity of a series that has only been on for two weeks (Celebs vs. Pros) and put this one-off on?

GS Warehouse

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 10:54:20 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'May 21 2005, 07:24 AM\']Now my question is, WHY does GSN ruin the continuity of a series that has only been on for two weeks (Celebs vs. Pros) and put this one-off on?
[snapback]85993[/snapback]
[/quote]
My guess consists of one word: sweeps.  Last night was the last Friday of the May sweep period.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 11:58:28 AM »
Young Bloods taped yesterday morning, the same day the show aired.  Taping ended at around 12-1PM.  Not a ton they could do in such a brief time.  It didn't kill it to run around 15 minutes over of a show that's been rerun a lot from a year ago.

uncamark

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 01:53:07 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'May 21 2005, 09:54 AM\'][quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'May 21 2005, 07:24 AM\']Now my question is, WHY does GSN ruin the continuity of a series that has only been on for two weeks (Celebs vs. Pros) and put this one-off on?
[snapback]85993[/snapback]
[/quote]
My guess consists of one word: sweeps.  Last night was the last Friday of the May sweep period.
[snapback]86004[/snapback]
[/quote]

There's no such things as sweeps in cable.  As far as it's concerned, they're monitored every day of every week of every month of every year.  Sweeps are for the lcoal broadcast stations, since they're the only times Nielsen has sizeable samples in every one of the nation's broadcast markets--and they're primarily for the stations.  The broadcast networks get involved in gamesmanship because the stations want them to.  Cable networks could do their own gamesmanship to blunt broadcast numbers, but since the result would be so negligible most of the time, they don't.

Besides, cable's traditionally-biggest season is in the summer, when the broadcast nets are all reruns and reality shows.  I would assume that GSN, like the other guys, is saving their big guns (or what passes for their big guns) for the summer.