Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Left, Right, and Center  (Read 13285 times)

sshuffield70

Left, Right, and Center
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2005, 06:52:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'May 16 2005, 03:37 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 16 2005, 03:26 PM\']Joe Pyne of NBC's "Showdown" also had a talk show in the '60s.  Whether it was just to provoke, he came off as somewhat right-wing on that talk show.
[snapback]85602[/snapback]
[/quote]
"Somewhat right-wing" is putting it mildly.  See here.
[snapback]85603[/snapback]
[/quote]

Morton Downey's old show had been compared to Joe Pyne's....except it was a lot rowdier and quite bleepworthy (even for 1986).

ChuckNet

Left, Right, and Center
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2005, 08:24:22 PM »
I gathered that Geoff Edwards was a Democrat after seeing an early Pt% where one of the bonus round questions was "What country proclaimed an economic policy known as the Great Leap Forward that turned out to be a giant leap backward?" One of the (incorrect) answers was the US...the couple did not select it, and when its value was revealed on the board, Geoff made the following remark:

"How many people thought the US took the Giant Leap Backward (answer of "18" is revealed on % sign)...18% thought so, but they were probably Republicans!"

And I think Marc Summers was a conservative...he followed a question about Dan Quayle on the last ep of FDD w/the line "No Quayle jokes".

Regarding Chuck Woolery's leanings, when he mentioned on that WoF THS earlier this yr that he was a devout Christian, I figured he was prolly a Republican.

As for the Winkster, one visit to his website will quickly confirm his political leanings.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

sshuffield70

Left, Right, and Center
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2005, 10:58:51 PM »
As for the Winkster, one visit to his website will quickly confirm his political leanings.

Wink has even appeared on TBN's "Praise The Lord" program.  'Nuff said.

The Ol' Guy

Left, Right, and Center
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2005, 01:09:04 PM »
Excuse the exhumation of an old thread, but I ran into something yesterday some might find interesting. Stopped by the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum in Grand Rapids. In the exhibit of letters to Ford after his pardon of Richard Nixon, they included one from Allen Ludden. He stated that he was upset about the pardon, and where before he felt he shouldn't use his "modest" celebrity status to promote political views, Ludden said he was going to become more politically active and do what he could to denounce the "Nixon-Ford conspiracy."

Maybe he demanded the producers no longer use the passwords  "right", "wing", "grand", and "rapids"? ;-p

There went Gerry's shot at being a celeb on Password...though the thought of Gerry on Password has some amusing potential.

"the password is..apple"

"Ten points, Gerry."

"Uh......    mango!"
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 02:34:09 PM by The Ol' Guy »

Jimmy Owen

Left, Right, and Center
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2005, 01:15:06 PM »
Hmmm..."Password" left the air within a year of the pardon (and that letter, presumably.)

Coincidence???
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 01:16:58 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

ChuckNet

Left, Right, and Center
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2005, 12:36:18 AM »
And last wk on CS, a question came up about how many men thought they could do a better job as Prez than Ronald Reagan, to which Bill Rafferty commented "I think anybody could do a better job than Reagan!"...he quickly went into the "how many..." portion of the question, perhaps to drown out the chorus of boos that suddenly emerged from the audience.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

calliaume

Left, Right, and Center
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2005, 08:50:34 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Oct 2 2005, 11:36 PM\']And last wk on CS, a question came up about how many men thought they could do a better job as Prez than Ronald Reagan, to which Bill Rafferty commented "I think anybody could do a better job than Reagan!"...he quickly went into the "how many..." portion of the question, perhaps to drown out the chorus of boos that suddenly emerged from the audience.
[snapback]98405[/snapback]
[/quote]
Depending on when the taping was held (Reagan was less popular after the Iran-Contra scandal broke in late 1986), this was probably not a smart thing to say in California.

mmb5

Left, Right, and Center
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2005, 01:39:46 PM »
Another way to get answers would be to see where they put their money.  This is from newsmeat.com:

Louie Anderson - gave $2,500 to the DNC
Bob Barker - gave $2,000 to Bill Young (R-FL)
Chuck Barris - gave $10,000 to the DNC, $2,000 to Nick Clooney (D-KY), $2,000 to Bill Bradley (D-NJ), $1,000 to Robert Edgar (D-PA), $1,000 to Arlen Specter (R-PA) and $500 to Daniel Inouye (D-KY)
Johnny Carson - gave $10,000 to the DNC, $1,000 each to Jimmy Carter, Pat Brown, Ted Kennedy and Ronald Reagan for the '80 Presidential run
Fannie Flagg - gave $1,000 to the DNC
Merv Griffin - $28,000 to the RNC, $2,000 to Bob Dole
Mark Goodson - at least $20,000 to many and varied Democrats, including Bess Myerson, token money to some Republicans
Monty Hall - $1,000 to Mel Levine (D-CA), $600 to Tom Lantos (D-CA), $500 to Gordon Smith (R-OR), $250 to Carl Levin (D-MI), $250 to Joe Lieberman, $200 to Sander Levin (D-MI)
Merrill Heatter - $1,000 to Ronal Reagan
Wink Martindale - $2,000 to George W. Bush
Jenny McCarthy - $1,000 to Bill Clinton
Regis Philbin - $1,000 to Bill Bradley
Paula Poundstone - $2,300 to Hilary Clinton (D-NY), $1,250 to Emily's List, $1,000 to Susan Tracy (D-MA), $800 to the DNC, $850 to Barbara Boxer (D-CA), $400 to Al Gore, $250 to Sally Thompson (D-KC), $250 to Sanrda Freedman (D-FL)
Maury Povich - $2,000 to George W. Bush
Paul Rodriguez - $1,000 to Bill Clinton, $950 to Carlos Ortiz (R-TX), $250 to Helen Hernandez (D-CA)
David Ruprecht - $339 to the LNC
Pat Sajak - $5,000 to the RNC, $4,000 to Bob Dole, $1,000 each to Rick Lazio (R-NY), Rudy Giuliani, Randy Hoffman (R-CA) and Bruce Herschensohn (R-CA)
Ben Stein - over $10,000 to various Republicans, he also did give to Ralph Nader, a couple of Democratic PACs and Pat Buchanan
Alex Trebek - $2,000 to Charles Hagel (R-NE) [there's the Jeopardy and Nebraska thing again]
Bruce Vilanch - $1,000 to Al Gore, $1,000 to Margarethe Cammermeyer (D-WA), $500 to Ed Flanagan (D-VT), $300 to Rick Zbur (D-CA), $250 each to Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and Peter Navarro (D-CA)
Betty White - $500 to the DNC

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

uncamark

Left, Right, and Center
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2005, 05:12:10 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Oct 3 2005, 12:39 PM\']Another way to get answers would be to see where they put their money.  This is from newsmeat.com:

Bob Barker - gave $2,000 to Bill Young (R-FL)

Mark Goodson - at least $20,000 to many and varied Democrats, including Bess Myerson, token money to some Republicans

Maury Povich - $2,000 to George W. Bush

[snapback]98423[/snapback]
[/quote]

An interesting list.  I assume that Barker's contribution was based on Young's animal right issues' view--I can't imagine him contributing for any other reason but.  Could Young had been behind banning greyhound racing?

A Rolling Stone article in the 70s mentioned Goodson as a big Democratic Party supporter--they also mention Ira Skutch, as well.

And I can just see Dubya sitting down to "You're the Father of My Baby and the DNA Test Proves It!"  Until next time, America...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 11:21:33 AM by uncamark »

geno57

Left, Right, and Center
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2005, 03:34:03 AM »
In light of the Winkster's right-leanings, his appearances on the PTL Club, etc., I'm surprised by his current TV commercials. They are very VERY gay.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Left, Right, and Center
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2005, 03:38:19 AM »
Oh Wink, oh Maury, oh Wink, oh Maury, oh Wink, oh Maury, oh Wink, oh Maury, oh Wink, oh Maury ... (HANGS HEAD IN SHAME).

Goodson tooling around in his Corniche Convertible certainly didn't look the part of a Democrat, that's for sure. I remember Ira and Fannie supporting a democratic candidate in 1980 (Henry Waxman?). Then there was the time Howard Felsher ran for U.S. Congress ...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 03:46:12 AM by chris319 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Left, Right, and Center
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2005, 03:44:59 AM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' date=\'Oct 4 2005, 12:34 AM\']In light of the Winkster's right-leanings, his appearances on the PTL Club, etc., I'm surprised by his current TV commercials. They are very VERY gay.
[snapback]98512[/snapback]
[/quote]
There is, in fact, one version of the Take On Orbitz ad I have seen that is SPECIFICALLY gay...it's a gay single guy against a couple, and they need to find a hotel in Miami Beach or Key West or something like that. I think I saw it on Bravo one day, and I was kinda surprised at how many gay stereotypes they unabashedly used.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Left, Right, and Center
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2005, 05:38:35 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 4 2005, 02:44 AM\']There is, in fact, one version of the Take On Orbitz ad I have seen that is SPECIFICALLY gay...it's a gay single guy against a couple, and they need to find a hotel in Miami Beach or Key West or something like that. I think I saw it on Bravo one day, and I was kinda surprised at how many gay stereotypes they unabashedly used.
[snapback]98514[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm guessing that this commercial either airs 1) exclusively on cable, or 2) after 9 or 10 pm (I forget when the FCC's "safe hours" begin)? Obviously this isn't a problem for a network like Logo or Bravo, but I have a difficult time seeing this on a broadcast network. Doesn't bother me, but I just see the religious right and Bible Belters crapping bricks left and right.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

sshuffield70

Left, Right, and Center
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2005, 09:23:55 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Oct 4 2005, 04:38 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 4 2005, 02:44 AM\']There is, in fact, one version of the Take On Orbitz ad I have seen that is SPECIFICALLY gay...it's a gay single guy against a couple, and they need to find a hotel in Miami Beach or Key West or something like that. I think I saw it on Bravo one day, and I was kinda surprised at how many gay stereotypes they unabashedly used.
[snapback]98514[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm guessing that this commercial either airs 1) exclusively on cable, or 2) after 9 or 10 pm (I forget when the FCC's "safe hours" begin)? Obviously this isn't a problem for a network like Logo or Bravo, but I have a difficult time seeing this on a broadcast network. Doesn't bother me, but I just see the religious right and Bible Belters crapping bricks left and right.
[snapback]98515[/snapback]
[/quote]

If this is all true (I don't think I've seen this one), how come Wink didn't, as you say, crap a brick?

Matt Ottinger

Left, Right, and Center
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2005, 10:50:24 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Oct 4 2005, 05:38 AM\']I'm guessing that this commercial either airs 1) exclusively on cable, or 2) after 9 or 10 pm (I forget when the FCC's "safe hours" begin)? Obviously this isn't a problem for a network like Logo or Bravo, but I have a difficult time seeing this on a broadcast network. Doesn't bother me, but I just see the religious right and Bible Belters crapping bricks left and right.[/quote]
We could probably get into a very interesting dialogue about why a gay-themed ad would be considered "unsafe" in the first place when Will and Grace runs at 8:30pm, but to the best of my knowledge that particular Orbitz ad does run exclusively on cable and specifically during gay-themed programming such as Queer Eye.

Still, no matter how enlightened you pretend to be, if you're only familiar with the mainstream campaign, seeing the gay one can be startling.  A fellow member of this forum actually saw my jaw drop the first time I caught the spot.

As for Wink, a paycheck is a paycheck, and I think a lot of liberals would be surprised at how many Christian conservatives are not militantly anti-gay.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.