Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Better return on your investment  (Read 4791 times)

The Pyramids

Better return on your investment
« on: May 14, 2005, 10:06:56 AM »
I like 'Greed' on weekdays, and esp. like seeing the '01 promos for it again. They are probably the best I've ever seen on the network.

This could be a questions of apples and oranges because I have no idea of the cost involved.

Still, I wonder of GSN would have gotten better returns if they had taken the money they spent on the 'American Dream Derby' (remember that one) and instead had made a new, limited run of 'Greed' at some point.

inturnaround

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 10:49:35 AM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'May 14 2005, 10:06 AM\']Still, I wonder of GSN would have gotten better returns if they had taken the money they spent on the 'American Dream Derby' (remember that one) and instead had made a new, limited run of 'Greed' at some point.
[snapback]85420[/snapback]
[/quote]

If they were going to stunt a remake of a game show, why would they pick Greed? I'd think that would be way down the list. Greed wasn't that good of a game, IMO.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

saussage

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 01:13:01 PM »
Having that commercial run again gave me a sence of deja-vu. I then blinked my eyes and saw that it was on GSN and not the "Game Show Network". :(

Then I saw the "Men from GSN" commercial and I was ok again. Woohoo! Classics :)
Then I saw the mutated KFC meets Pyramid commercial and I was down again :p

Oh yeah, Greed remake? Problably not a good idea. Only FOX can make bad or weak game shows look good :)

Caution: Items in mirror may look better than what they appear :)
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

ChuckNet

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 01:13:42 PM »
If they were going to stunt a remake of a game show, why would they pick Greed? I'd think that would be way down the list. Greed wasn't that good of a game, IMO.

Actually, before the whole '04 shift to non-studio games, GSN was THIS close to reviving Greed as an original series, w/a $200K top prize, but the deal broke down when producer Dick Clark wouldn't agree to a smaller licensing fee.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Don Howard

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 04:43:07 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'May 14 2005, 09:06 AM\']I like 'Greed' on weekdays
[snapback]85420[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes. We're at the point now since they've reracked 'em to death that I'm able to mouth the exact words along with Chuck and the contestants.

StevensM

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 11:36:51 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'May 14 2005, 12:13 PM\']

Actually, before the whole '04 shift to non-studio games, GSN was THIS close to reviving Greed as an original series, w/a $200K top prize, but the deal broke down when producer Dick Clark wouldn't agree to a smaller licensing fee.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
[snapback]85434[/snapback]
[/quote]

Really?  That's an interesting fact.  I remember reading that Greed was on track for syndication in 2002 with a possible 2003 launch, but it never made it.  I suppose the GSN proposal came after that.

I suppose Dick Clark had to refuse the deal for business purposes, but to think that this deal not working out was part of the fact that led to GSN (for the time) abandoning studio game shows is a sad thought.  Though I agree that Greed had it's issues and wasn't the best quiz show on the air, I thought it was fun to watch, and I would've liked being on a GSN revival.

The Pyramids

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 03:19:12 PM »
[quote name=\'StevensM\' date=\'May 15 2005, 10:36 AM\']  but to think that this deal not working out was part of the fact that led to GSN (for the time) abandoning studio game shows is a sad thought
[snapback]85489[/snapback]
[/quote]

I imagine no deal being made on 'Greed' was one of the many things that did not work out. You could also say 'if only 'Millionaire' came along sooner,''If only (fill in the blank) did a little bit better,''If only a 'TPIR' deal could have been made,' etc.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 03:25:21 PM by PaulD »

StevensM

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 06:07:50 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'May 15 2005, 02:19 PM\']I imagine no deal being made on 'Greed' was one of the many things that did not work out. You could also say 'if only 'Millionaire' came along sooner,''If only (fill in the blank) did a little bit better,''If only a 'TPIR' deal could have been made,' etc.
[snapback]85500[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's true.  I suppose I'm just a bit resentful that they weren't able to arrange that and the fact that right now there aren't any traditional studio game/quiz shows in production at GSN.  Millionaire is probably one of the best things to happen to GSN since it's their highest-rated program.  At least its good ratings show that game shows continue to be a reliable draw, a message that GSN now seems to be receiving, and one that I hope other networks notice.