Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Get Schooled: Philly  (Read 3550 times)

davewalls

GSN Get Schooled: Philly
« on: May 21, 2005, 09:02:18 PM »
A big congrats to our own TheGameShowGuy himself, Art Kurtz, as he took down the $10,000 prize at the GSN Get Schooled event in Philadelphia!

Art qualified on the very last session, and after a tough semi final (where he battled....his girlfriend), Art breezed to a 500-100 victory, and returns to the finals next Tuesday in Philadelphia.

In addition, we were told that footage from today's event would be broadcast on GSN coming in December.

Congrats Art!
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

pyrawoman

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 03:19:04 PM »
Yes indeed - Congratulations, Art!!  :) (Said one winner of Word Slam to another.... ;))

I have a question for the board. Does anyone know the words used for the final round of Word Slam at each stop? The game was "Word within a word". At my stop the word was "tar". Does anyone remember the words used from the stops they went to or heard about?

Pyrawoman

davewalls

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 03:34:51 PM »
[quote name=\'pyrawoman\' date=\'May 22 2005, 02:19 PM\']
I have a question for the board. Does anyone know the words used for the final round of Word Slam at each stop? The game was "Word within a word". At my stop the word was "tar". Does anyone remember the words used from the stops they went to or heard about?

[snapback]86163[/snapback]
[/quote]

For Philadephia, the "word within a word" word was "son". Answers included "Arsonist", and the final word that clinched it, "Chairperson".
Dave Walls

pyrawoman

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 04:44:23 PM »
Thanks Dave! :) I appreciate your help.

Anyone else know any more?

Pyrawoman

TheGameShowGuy

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 10:43:53 PM »
Thanks Dave, Pyrawoman...
Word Slam was great fun (and I said this before I got to play): It would make a great regular game show with a bit of reformatting.
And while I'd be honored to have the person I played against in the semi-final as a girlfriend, the fact is we are good friends and co- workers.

uncamark

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 03:13:11 PM »
Curious:

Was Kimberly Locke actually emceeing the competition, or did she just do a walk-on and walk-off at the beginning and end singing to a backing track and someone else was actually emceeing?

davewalls

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 03:18:54 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 23 2005, 02:13 PM\']Curious:

Was Kimberly Locke actually emceeing the competition, or did she just do a walk-on and walk-off at the beginning and end singing to a backing track and someone else was actually emceeing?
[snapback]86240[/snapback]
[/quote]

Kimberly Locke actually did emcee the entire gig (and without singing). She was competant, but even though Philly was the last stop (meaning she had done this at least 11 times already), she was reading everything off the cards, and seemed quite puzzled of the rules at some points.

Still, she was friendly enough and didn't screw up anything that would have cost someone the game. I wouldn't want to see her host a show, but for the live event, she was ok.
Dave Walls

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 03:42:47 PM »
[quote name=\'davewalls\' date=\'May 23 2005, 02:18 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 23 2005, 02:13 PM\']Curious:

[snapback]86240[/snapback]
[/quote]

Kimberly Locke actually did emcee the entire gig (and without singing). She was competant, but even though Philly was the last stop (meaning she had done this at least 11 times already), she was reading everything off the cards, and seemed quite puzzled of the rules at some points.

Still, she was friendly enough and didn't screw up anything that would have cost someone the game. I wouldn't want to see her host a show, but for the live event, she was ok.
[snapback]86242[/snapback]
[/quote]

In other words, she might be OK with some seasoning--or she could end up like Richard Karn.  Interesting.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 04:37:40 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 23 2005, 03:42 PM\']In other words, she might be OK with some seasoning--or she could end up like Richard Karn.  Interesting.[/quote]
I thought Locke did quite well at the Pittsburgh stop.  Locke had the rules of the game down pat, she kept the game moving, and she was very enthusiastic.  She's also quite a beautiful young lady, a nice presence at such an event.

Is she game show host material?  I don't see it happening.  However, I think she was a great emcee for a promotional tour.

TheGameShowGuy

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 03:34:40 PM »
I was quite impressed with Kimberly Locke's hosting... I think with some seasoning she can be a fine game show host. I was concerned that the tour would be moving away from game shows with a host who rose to fame on a talent show...However, anyone who attended any stop on Get Schooled 2005 would tell you it was pure game show! (Kimberly, who sings beautifully, did sing a bit for the audience at Independance Hall-where the finals were taped. However, she focused on her role as host primarily. She is also a very nice person and really showed concern for all the finalists.)
And I must say the championship final  in Philly on Tuesday was super!  GSN and The Promotional Edge really made all of the contestants' visit great. We got to meet some game show producers and it was fun- win or lose.  GSN had a nice gift basket waiting for each person at the luxurious Sheraton when we checked in.

While "Word Slam" played as a game show in Phiily and at the malls, it will air as part of a GSN documentary... (This is good as it wont count as a game show appearence according to GSN). The Word Power documentary will air September 10th.