Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The "diversity" of game show producers  (Read 3864 times)

SamJ93

The "diversity" of game show producers
« on: May 04, 2005, 09:32:05 AM »
Who would you say was the most diverse producer of game shows in terms of different formats used, taking into account their entire body of work?

Mark Goodson is probably the answer that comes to most people's mind, although it took him a while to get there--in the 50's he had tons of panel shows running that were mostly just slight variations on "What's My Line" and "I've Got a Secret." It wasn't until the 70's that he really started being prolific.  Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems Goodson never actually had a straight quiz show on the air, did he? EDIT: Finals have taken their toll on my mind--completely forgot about Winner Takes All, Blockbusters, et al.

Meanwhile, Bob Stewart's career same to take the exact opposite path--he had a number of varying concepts in the early years (Eye Guess, original PiR, Personality), but by the time the 70's-80's rolled around he seemed only interested in making endless knock-offs of Password, Pyramid, and Chain Reaction/Go, with some occaisonal breathers (Three on a Match).

Barry & Enright probably wins the award for least diverse.  Straight-up quizzers with a moderate element of chance involved, a familiar gimmick (slot machines, tic-tac-toe, Blackjack), plus an entirely luck-based bonus round with some sort of cute villain involved.  Heat and serve.

Finally, although the rest of their work is less stellar, credit must be given to both Merv Griffin and Hatos-Hall.  The fact that both outfits could come up with two of the toughest game shows around (J!/Split Specond) and two of the most brainless (Wheel/LMaD) is impressive.

Any other, slightly lesser-known producers we must acknowledge?

--Sam
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 12:17:40 PM by SamJ93 »
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

WhammyPower

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 09:54:42 AM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'May 4 2005, 08:32 AM\']Any other, slightly lesser-known producers we must acknowledge?
[snapback]84308[/snapback]
[/quote]
Jay Wolpert.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 09:55:08 AM by WhammyPower »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 10:36:17 AM »
"Winner Take All" from G-T has to be considered one of the first TV Q&A's. "Trivia Trap" had a pure Q&A element, and you might want to consider "Blockbusters" mainly a Q&A.  Ralph Edwards was somewhat diverse from "Truth or Consequences" to 70's NTT to "Bzzz!"  Ralph Andrews was behind YDS, LC, Celeb. Sweeps, 50 Grand Slam and the original Lingo.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

edholland83

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 11:29:11 PM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'May 4 2005, 09:32 AM\']

--Sam
[/quote]

Heatter - Quigley

Pretty Much the Same as B&E,
Tic-Tac-Toe(Squares), Cards (Gambit) and Dice (High Rollers)

edholland83

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 11:29:51 PM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'May 4 2005, 09:32 AM\']

--Sam
[/quote]

Heatter - Quigley

Pretty Much the Same as B&E,
Tic-Tac-Toe(Squares), Cards (Gambit) and Dice (High Rollers)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 12:13:05 AM »
I wouldn't say Heatter-Quigley had such a small variety of shows; actually, I wouldn't know how to really classify many of them.
Namedroppers, Temptation, Hot Seat, Magnificent Marble Machine, Video Village, PDQ...those were all fairly unique concepts. Duds for the most part, but unique.

IMHO, Chuck Barris was the least unique with his fixation with on contestants attempting to match answers with each other or so-called "experts."

--Jamie
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 12:24:07 AM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 01:53:43 AM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'May 4 2005, 06:32 AM\']Finally, although the rest of their work is less stellar, credit must be given to both Merv Griffin and Hatos-Hall.  The fact that both outfits could come up with two of the toughest game shows around (J!/Split Specond) and two of the most brainless (Wheel/LMaD) is impressive.
[/quote]

I don't think it's fair to call Wheel of Fortune brainless at all.  Just because some people play it that way doesn't make it so.  It seems to be just the way that the players are cast.

As to the original question; imagine being a big-time producer type.  You just scored a smash hit.  Do you A) use that clout to try a completely new idea or B) milk that old idea for all it's worth.  I can't blame Bob and Jack/Dan for the choice they made.  I doubt I would do it differently.
Travis L. Eberle

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 08:23:58 PM »
Add People Will Talk/Celebrity Game, Amateur's Guide To Love/Bedtime Stories, Showdown and Double Exposure, and you make a pretty good case for Heatter-Quigley - quiz, chance, opinion match, race, word - they may have duplicated a few of their ideas, but they didn't seem to be in a rut.

uncamark

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 11:58:26 AM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'May 8 2005, 07:23 PM\']Add People Will Talk/Celebrity Game, Amateur's Guide To Love/Bedtime Stories, Showdown and Double Exposure, and you make a pretty good case for Heatter-Quigley - quiz, chance, opinion match, race, word - they may have duplicated a few of their ideas, but they didn't seem to be in a rut.
[snapback]84773[/snapback]
[/quote]

And they only tried to copy their biggest hit once, with "Funny You Should Ask."  ("Battlestars" and "All-Star Blitz" were after Heatter and Quigley broke up, although according to Quigley's own daughter, he had minimal involvement in the ocmpany in its later years--Heatter and Bob Noah were the main creative forces.)

SamJ93

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 12:46:39 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'May 8 2005, 01:53 AM\']As to the original question; imagine being a big-time producer type.  You just scored a smash hit.  Do you A) use that clout to try a completely new idea or B) milk that old idea for all it's worth.  I can't blame Bob and Jack/Dan for the choice they made.  I doubt I would do it differently.
[snapback]84729[/snapback]
[/quote]

True, but you also run the risk of drawing attention to that.  If you milk an old idea in a new show, it will inevitably draw comparisons to the old one and viewers will realize the inherent similarities.  If the new show is well-executed enough, it might not matter, but at worst people will realize it's just a copycat and tune out.

Consider all those failed pilots Stewart made in the 70's and 80's with variations on the Chain Reaction bonus round and/or Pyramid.  Wouldn't the resources used to create 20 pilots with recycled ideas, obviously poor production values, and little thought put into the show overall, be put to better use developing one solid, fresh idea?

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 04:45:17 PM »
When Dan Enright ran out of ways to package straight Q&A quizzes, he turned to polling games (Play the Percentages, Hot Potato). Hmmm, wonder where he got the idea to do polling games?

Props to Jay Wolpert for at least trying to be original and break new ground, something very difficult to do in the '70s and beyond.