Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: When TPIR was at it's best  (Read 10428 times)

BrandonFG

When TPIR was at it's best
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2005, 10:24:32 AM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'May 5 2005, 08:01 AM\']Actually, are there any pricing games with any type of rules or guidelines written on them? The only one that comes to mind would be "Hit Me" where it says "House hits on 16 and stays on 17".
[snapback]84465[/snapback]
[/quote]

Pick-A-Pair and Pick A Number are pretty self-explanatory. ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

CarShark

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2005, 05:26:52 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 4 2005, 11:53 PM\']From my 10/20/03 post:

"Super Saver was retired because of technical issues and there was an issue with Game practices where Bob apparently didn't explain the game correctly and decided it wasn't worth the hassle to play it any more."
[snapback]84436[/snapback]
[/quote]
I guess I'm not really satisfied by either reason. 1) Why would they retire a game just because the rules were expained wrong one time? Wouldn't it be better just to make sure that he says it every time? 2) They've had mechanical problems with so many of the games, so why would Super Saver's make it not worth playing at all?

johnnya2k3

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2005, 05:40:16 PM »
Remember when how Bob used to start the show with a brief monologue before getting to the first IUFB? That's gone and we have to settle with that "Welcome to The Price is Right; I thank you for that wonderful welcome; here's our first IUFB today!" crap we have now.

Or what about Bob's banters with Johnny (and later Rod) before the sixth pricing game? Or even Bob's chit-chats with the contestants on Contestants' Row and the models? Or how they used to give away foreign cars? They're all gone as well.

I guess TPIR was at its best in the '70s to early '90s.

Jonathan Allen

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2005, 06:38:51 PM »
Bob didn't explain the rules to Super Saver completely, so the contestant didn't know they could still win had they picked the one product that was marked up instead of down.
Something is amiss if they can't even get the emcee language for a new game right.

CarShark

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2005, 06:46:33 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'May 5 2005, 04:40 PM\']Remember when how Bob used to start the show with a brief monologue before getting to the first IUFB? That's gone and we have to settle with that "Welcome to The Price is Right; I thank you for that wonderful welcome; here's our first IUFB today!" crap we have now.

Or what about Bob's banters with Johnny (and later Rod) before the sixth pricing game? Or even Bob's chit-chats with the contestants on Contestants' Row and the models? Or how they used to give away foreign cars? They're all gone as well.
[snapback]84515[/snapback]
[/quote]
Most of that is because they don't have as much time, but the foreign car thing was something that the TPiR staff did of their own Accord. :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 06:48:14 PM by CarShark »

The Pyramids

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2005, 07:08:44 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'May 5 2005, 04:40 PM\']Remember when how Bob used to start the show with a brief monologue before getting to the first IUFB? That's gone and we have to settle with that "Welcome to The Price is Right; I thank you for that wonderful welcome; here's our first IUFB today!" crap we have now.

I guess TPIR was at its best in the '70s to early '90s.

Jonathan Allen
[snapback]84515[/snapback]
[/quote]

I suspect that is beacuse the running time for each 'TPIR' had been shaved like everthing else on tv over the last 10 years. In order to till have 6 prcing games, two showcase showdowns and finally two show cases something had to go. I really don't think any falut to lays at CBS and Freemantle. Its just the way economics are.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 07:13:52 PM by PaulD »

dizzy

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2005, 07:13:44 PM »
Does anybody here have a running tally on how much actual show time there is now compared to an episode from 1977? Exactly how much less "SHOW" is there?

Dizzy

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2005, 08:28:43 PM »
I think an episode of TPIR clocks in at a bit under 40 minutes of total game play.  Which is on average 7 minutes more game per half hour than Jeopardy or Wheel.
Travis L. Eberle

cmjb13

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2005, 08:34:20 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' date=\'May 5 2005, 05:26 PM\']I guess I'm not really satisfied by either reason.
[/quote]
You don't have to be. Those are the facts.

1) Why would they retire a game just because the rules were expained wrong one time? Wouldn't it be better just to make sure that he says it every time?
How many games turn into S&P issues? Remember the Xmas Home viewer showcase that was scrapped because 2 people got the same exact total. Just not worth it.

2) They've had mechanical problems with so many of the games, so why would Super Saver's make it not worth playing at all?
[snapback]84512[/snapback]
It was a factor, but only part of the problem.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2005, 09:27:49 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 5 2005, 12:53 AM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'May 4 2005, 11:00 PM\']$uper $aver's retirement had nothing to do with its set.
[/quote]
Can't understand why you couldn't explain the reasoning here instead of providing a link,
[/quote]

Because I'd already written the explanation once when I put it on that page, and I didn't feel like doing it again.

I was going to respond to CarShark, too, but I think you've handled that quite well already. :-)

saussage

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2005, 10:04:47 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' date=\'May 5 2005, 04:26 PM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 4 2005, 11:53 PM\']From my 10/20/03 post:

"Super Saver was retired because of technical issues and there was an issue with Game practices where Bob apparently didn't explain the game correctly and decided it wasn't worth the hassle to play it any more."
[snapback]84436[/snapback]
[/quote]
I guess I'm not really satisfied by either reason. 1) Why would they retire a game just because the rules were expained wrong one time? Wouldn't it be better just to make sure that he says it every time? 2) They've had mechanical problems with so many of the games, so why would Super Saver's make it not worth playing at all?
[snapback]84512[/snapback]
[/quote]
Sounds more like someone had issues with the game for a while and the rules not being said correctly as well as the mechanical problems put the nails in the $uper $aver coffin.

I'm sure if Pick-a-Pair can make a comeback due to issues, so can $uper $aver (the issue with the marry-go-round and Bob being able to see all the prices before they were revealed).

[quote name=\'jmangin\' date=\'May 5 2005, 08:23 AM\']For Dice Game, Bob always says there are no zeroes and no numbers above six.  It's not fair to compare the Super Saver debacle against Dice Game since the same issue has not happened for both games.
[snapback]84467[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bad example or not, the Dice Game example with the 0's was one that never happened, but one that could easily happen.

Regarding about Pick-a-Pair, I loved the marry-go-round but I am very happy that the game set was revamped... the game took wayyyy too long waiting for the prizes to come up.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 10:07:14 PM by saussage »
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2005, 10:30:18 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'May 5 2005, 10:04 PM\']I'm sure if Pick-a-Pair can make a comeback due to issues, so can $uper $aver (the issue with the marry-go-round and Bob being able to see all the prices before they were revealed).
[/quote]

You obviously read my explanation of Bob screwing up the rules.  Would you care to actually pay it some attention?

dizzy

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2005, 10:39:13 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'May 5 2005, 07:28 PM\']I think an episode of TPIR clocks in at a bit under 40 minutes of total game play.  Which is on average 7 minutes more game per half hour than Jeopardy or Wheel.
[snapback]84531[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, but I would like to know the running time of an episode of The Price Is Right (minus commercials) in 2005 compared to an episode of The Price Is Right (minus commercials) in 1977.

Dizzy

aaron sica

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2005, 10:44:59 PM »
[quote name=\'dizzy\' date=\'May 5 2005, 10:39 PM\']
     Yeah, but I would like to know the running time of an episode of The Price Is Right (minus commercials) in 2005 compared to an episode of The Price Is Right (minus commercials) in 1977.

Dizzy
[snapback]84552[/snapback]
[/quote]

This sort of reminds me of something which threw me off back when GSN was airing reruns of TPiR.....I remember watching an episode from 1977 and there was NO COMMERCIAL between the showcase bids and the showcase reveal.....It left me wondering where the commercials were placed for the rest of the show...

zachhoran

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2005, 10:46:54 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'May 5 2005, 09:44 PM\']

This sort of reminds me of something which threw me off back when GSN was airing reruns of TPiR.....I remember watching an episode from 1977 and there was NO COMMERCIAL between the showcase bids and the showcase reveal.....It left me wondering where the commercials were placed for the rest of the show...
[snapback]84556[/snapback]
[/quote]

The other commercials during that period occur when they occur now, after each PG and SCSD.