Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: When TPIR was at it's best  (Read 10348 times)

ChuckNet

When TPIR was at it's best
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 08:42:53 PM »
Gentleman that Johnny Olson was, he'd would say "Please stay tuned...". At least for that show he did. Perhaps SfT was beginning its fall from the ratings radar screen and CBS requested the "please". Or maybe I have no blessed idea why the "please" was inserted and am bluffing.

LOL...I speculated about that being the reason on ATGS way back when. :-) OTOH, when SFT first moved to 2:30, Johnny originally plugged Y&R (which took over its old 12:30 slot) during TPiR's credits for a few wks, before CBS dropped the "stay tuned for..." end-of-show plugs entirely, and it was also preceded w/"please".

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

TimK2003

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2005, 09:18:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'May 4 2005, 01:47 AM\'][quote name=\'dizzy\' date=\'May 4 2005, 12:33 AM\']Take a look at the following link and lets all reminisce together.
[/quote]
And then, why don't we make a circle, hold hands, make smores, and sing campfire songs?
[snapback]84286[/snapback]
[/quote]

Plin-ko-ya, my Lord, Plin-ko-ya!!!

Seriously, I'd have to go with the early 80's.  That was the era when people were beginning to forget that Price used to be only a half hour, they added the bonuses to the wheel, there was idle chat between Bob & the contestants and Bob & his beauties, the younger college-aged people were starting to make up the majority of the audience, there was a nice stable of games by then and some of the older games were starting to get overhauled to reflect $10,000+ vehicles.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 09:26:04 PM by TimK2003 »

saussage

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2005, 10:15:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'May 4 2005, 01:47 AM\'][quote name=\'dizzy\' date=\'May 4 2005, 12:33 AM\']Take a look at the following link and lets all reminisce together.
[/quote]
And then, why don't we make a circle, hold hands, make smores, and sing campfire songs?
[snapback]84286[/snapback]
[/quote]
I like the earlier days of TPIR. The colours they used, the gfx when contestants are spinning the big wheel (triangle pointer thing with contestant's face inside :) ), and of course Barker's beauties that we all grew up with (by the way, Holly needs a haircut :) ).

Today, the colour scheme I find is pallatable at best (but at least better than the brown, gold and yellowish set from the early 70's). The beauties seem to be on a fixed time contract which renewels are never made (comparing to Holly, Janice and company, the new Barker's beauties are there for a fraction of the time or is it just me?). The thing they do with the camera on the big wheel makes me nautious when the wheel is just about ready to stop. Heck, even removing the giant calculator from check-out was disappointing to me which I though at one time was so stupid to have.

Maybe TPIR is showing its age a bit. I would rather think that maybe too much colour tinkering was done to the set and not enough tinkering is done to the pricing games (as in improving pricing games in looks or in gameplay) and to make new pricing games (or as in some cases, the return of long forgotten or lesser played pricing games).

In my opinion, 3 of the top 10 pricing games that I find are not played much or not played at all that should be in the lineup would be:

1) Now or Then (always loved it as a kid).
2) Superball (change of pace when the contestant can actually physically participate and could easily affect the outcome in a pricing game like the Race Game and Hole in one).
3) Super Saver (I know it was retired due to electronics problems or something like that but I'm sure somebody could've fixed it or revamp the pricing game on a new set).

Feel free to add to the list if you wish. (like I had to say that :) )

As a bonus question, who would be against changing the "Big Wheel"? I'm sure Bob Barker gets worried at times if someone would hit their head when the contestants spin.

Ahhh... the memories! Are you'z awake now? :)
Damn, I burnt my smores :)
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2005, 10:25:51 PM »
Gentleman that Johnny Olson was, he'd would say "Please stay tuned...". At least for that show he did. Perhaps SfT was beginning its fall from the ratings radar screen and CBS requested the "please". Or maybe I have no blessed idea why the "please" was inserted and am bluffing.
Pro that Johnny Olson was, he read the copy that was placed before him -- even if it ended with "please and thank you with a cherry on top".

dizzy

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2005, 10:33:31 PM »
Someone mentioned to much Color tinkering over the years. I tend to agree. As much as I like the color BLUE, I found the Red carpet to look much better on Television. The blue they have now is way to dark for the set. I would love to have it in my bedroom though. :-)

Dizzy
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 10:34:44 PM by dizzy »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2005, 10:35:54 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 4 2005, 07:25 PM\']Pro that Johnny Olson was, he read the copy that was placed before him -- even if it ended with "please and thank you with a cherry on top".
[snapback]84419[/snapback]
[/quote]
"We've replaced Johnny Olson's ad copy with Ebonics. Let's see if he notices."

"Aaaaand if you would be a contestant on The Price Is Right, then you need to be here in our studio audience, and Johnny's gonna tell you to do that, right, Johnny?"

"Fo shizzle, Bizzle!"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2005, 10:43:23 PM »
Bizzle Barker has a ring to it.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2005, 11:00:04 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'May 4 2005, 10:15 PM\']The beauties seem to be on a fixed time contract which renewels are never made (comparing to Holly, Janice and company, the new Barker's beauties are there for
a fraction of the time or is it just me?).[/quote]

Actually, there are quite a few models who have appeared many, many times -- just not all at one stretch.

[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'May 4 2005, 10:15 PM\']3) Super Saver (I know it was retired due to electronics problems or something like that but I'm sure somebody could've fixed it or revamp the pricing game on a new set).[/quote]

http://golden-road.net/modules.php?name=FA...+Game+Notes#105

$uper $aver's retirement had nothing to do with its set.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2005, 11:46:22 PM »
*pictures a 70-some-odd year old man saying "Fo' shizzle, Bizzle."*

*dies laughing*

cmjb13

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2005, 12:53:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'May 4 2005, 11:00 PM\']$uper $aver's retirement had nothing to do with its set.
[snapback]84425[/snapback]
[/quote]
Can't understand why you couldn't explain the reasoning here instead of providing a link, but for those who'd like to know here....

From my 10/20/03 post:

"Super Saver was retired because of technical issues and there was an issue with Game practices where Bob apparently didn't explain the game correctly and decided it wasn't worth the hassle to play it any more."
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 12:54:36 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

saussage

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2005, 09:01:52 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 4 2005, 11:53 PM\']"Super Saver was retired because of technical issues and there was an issue with Game practices where Bob apparently didn't explain the game correctly and decided it wasn't worth the hassle to play it any more."
[snapback]84436[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well, I guess I didn't do enough research then. I still loved that game. I find it a bit hard to swallow though that the game was shelved due to saying the rules incorrectly. Other games could easily be retired if the rules were not all said correctly or certain parts omitted.

A perfect example would be the Dice Game. If nobody said that there are no 0's in the price of the car, the contestant could complain that they wouldn't have said lower when they rolled a 2. (an yes, under the old rules, a 0 was a valid number in the original dice game. Thank goodness that rule was changed to have only numbers that you could roll that are valid in the price).

Super saver could still make it.. have simplified rules in point form on the game itself. I'm sure if there's going to be a replacement for Bob Barker, it would not only help the contestant know what to do but as well as the host. Remembering the pricing games and the rules is no easy task. Just listen to the Tom Kennedy interview (although Tom did an excellent job under the circumstances in my opinion).

Actually, are there any pricing games with any type of rules or guidelines written on them? The only one that comes to mind would be "Hit Me" where it says "House hits on 16 and stays on 17".
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 09:03:55 AM by saussage »
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

jmangin

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2005, 09:23:49 AM »
That's just the point though--Bob didn't explain the rules to Super Saver completely, so the contestant didn't know they could still win had they picked the one product that was marked up instead of down.

For Dice Game, Bob always says there are no zeroes and no numbers above six.  It's not fair to compare the Super Saver debacle against Dice Game since the same issue has not happened for both games.

SamJ93

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2005, 10:13:40 AM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'May 5 2005, 09:01 AM\']Actually, are there any pricing games with any type of rules or guidelines written on them? The only one that comes to mind would be "Hit Me" where it says "House hits on 16 and stays on 17".
[snapback]84465[/snapback]
[/quote]

Check Game also has "At Least $5000 But Not Over $6000" inscribed just below its name.  Yet that still doesn't help clueless contestants, ostensibly...

--Sam
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

zachhoran

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2005, 10:16:36 AM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'May 5 2005, 09:13 AM\'][quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'May 5 2005, 09:01 AM\']Actually, are there any pricing games with any type of rules or guidelines written on them? The only one that comes to mind would be "Hit Me" where it says "House hits on 16 and stays on 17".
[/quote]

Check Game also has "At Least $5000 But Not Over $6000" inscribed just below its name.  Yet that still doesn't help clueless contestants, ostensibly...

--Sam
[snapback]84471[/snapback]
[/quote]

The defunct Add 'Em Up used to have the total of the digits in the car price on the gameboard. The defunct It's Optional used to have the difference between the prices of the two cars and the maximum number of options one could pick.

TimK2003

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2005, 10:18:20 AM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'May 5 2005, 08:01 AM\']Actually, are there any pricing games with any type of rules or guidelines written on them? The only one that comes to mind would be "Hit Me" where it says "House hits on 16 and stays on 17".
[/quote]

To some extent...

Range Game -- Anything within the red wins -- that was kinda self-explanatory.

Spelling Bee  -- There is a listing of how many C's, A's R's and CAR's on the board.

Punch A Bunch -- Also has a listing of all the possible $$$ amounts.

Super Ball -- Showed which hole won what, and what ball won what prize(s)

There were probably a few others as well.