Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: When TPIR was at it's best  (Read 10422 times)

dizzy

When TPIR was at it's best
« on: May 04, 2005, 01:33:15 AM »
It's difficult to be a Game Show fan and not like The Price Is Right. However I just found a photo which made me think back to when the show was truly at it's best. Take a look at the following link and lets all reminisce together.

http://www.timstvshowcase.com/tpir13.jpg

Dizzy

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 02:47:46 AM »
[quote name=\'dizzy\' date=\'May 4 2005, 12:33 AM\']Take a look at the following link and lets all reminisce together.
[/quote]
And then, why don't we make a circle, hold hands, make smores, and sing campfire songs?

"Together" implies that everyone agrees with you when the best "era" was for Price.
It's difficult to be a Game Show fan and not like The Price Is Right.
And why not?  That's like saying it's difficult to be a baseball fan, and not like the Yankees--because they have longevity.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 02:48:22 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dizzy

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 03:24:49 AM »
"Together" implies that everyone agrees with you when the best "era" was for Price.
------------------------

No sorry Charlie, you are wrong. "TOGETHER" means let's all look at the PICTURE. How you twisted that into meaning that everyone had to agree with it being the best era is beyond me. Although I do think many here would agree that it was.

Why don't you tell us your favorite era while you are here. I would love to hear about your favorite Doug Davidson moment.  Don't forget to bring the smores! ;-)

Dizzy

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 04:23:33 AM »
That photo looked like it was taken sometime around 1976 when Barker had black haair.  Boy, those models sure looked pretty back then.

Since dizzy brought up favoritte eras for Price, mine would be the nid-late 80's when Barker would often chat with his Beauties after the 4th pricing game.  You never know what kind of discussion was afoot when they got together & it usually lasted about a minute or two.  Great stuff that was.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 07:12:07 AM »
For me, the best era was the Anitra era.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 09:03:39 AM »
I'll say the '70s.  That's when we were introduced to all the pricing games, had it expand to an hour, and it was still young and fresh.  I really enjoy watching old episodes from that time.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

SamJ93

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 09:40:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'May 4 2005, 02:47 AM\'][quote name=\'dizzy\' date=\'May 4 2005, 12:33 AM\']Take a look at the following link and lets all reminisce together.
[/quote]
And then, why don't we make a circle, hold hands, make smores, and sing campfire songs?

It's difficult to be a Game Show fan and not like The Price Is Right.
And why not?  That's like saying it's difficult to be a baseball fan, and not like the Yankees--because they have longevity.
[snapback]84286[/snapback]
[/quote]

It's fun to be a contrarian, it is.

I've only been around for the latter half of Price's run (completely missing Johnny O's tenure), so I'll say for me the best era (the one I reminisce about most) was the early to mid-90's.  Rod was still in top form, and even though Holly and Dian had left, Chantal made up for them, IMHO.  The show also hadn't become seriously affected by the demand for more advertising time yet--there was more time for Bob to joke around and have fun, rather than just "Hiwelcometotheshowgreattohaveyouhavehere'swhatyoucanwinnow" as happens when the show runs short on time (which is often).

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 12:39:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 4 2005, 03:23 AM\']That photo looked like it was taken sometime around 1976 when Barker had black haair.  Boy, those models sure looked pretty back then.

Since dizzy brought up favoritte eras for Price, mine would be the nid-late 80's when Barker would often chat with his Beauties after the 4th pricing game.  You never know what kind of discussion was afoot when they got together & it usually lasted about a minute or two.  Great stuff that was.
[snapback]84290[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bob's face was starting to develop wrinkles, more than he had in 1976, when he looked somewhat young. I'd say that pic is somewhere between 1982 and 1984, esp. judging by Holly's frizzy hair (I think it was stylish in the early-80s).
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 12:59:48 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'May 4 2005, 12:39 PM\']
Bob's face was starting to develop wrinkles, more than he had in 1976, when he looked somewhat young. I'd say that pic is somewhere between 1982 and 1984, esp. judging by Holly's frizzy hair (I think it was stylish in the early-80s).
[snapback]84339[/snapback]
[/quote]

Definitely frizzy in the early '80s....When GSN had its rotating Price shows (Monday was a 1975/1976 show, Tuesdays 1978/1979, Wednesdays 1981/1982, Thursdays 1986/1987, Fridays 1991/1992), Holly's hair was always frizzy on Wednesdays. :)

And with no credit crunches back then, we always got to hear Johnny say "Stay tuned for 'Search for Tomorrow', one half hour from now, on most of these CBS Stations.."

Ah, memories..

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 01:40:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'May 4 2005, 01:47 AM\'][quote name=\'dizzy\' date=\'May 4 2005, 12:33 AM\']Take a look at the following link and lets all reminisce together.
[/quote]
[snapback]84286[/snapback]
[/quote]
Just had to let you know, that line made my day.  Can't quite give it "line of the day" consideration, but I like it just the same.

Doug -- starting the countdown to 1200
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Don Howard

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 01:58:33 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'May 4 2005, 11:59 AM\']And with no credit crunches back then, we always got to hear Johnny say "Stay tuned for 'Search for Tomorrow', one half hour from now, on most of these CBS Stations.."
[snapback]84340[/snapback]
[/quote]
Gentleman that Johnny Olson was, he'd would say "Please stay tuned...". At least for that show he did. Perhaps SfT was beginning its fall from the ratings radar screen and CBS requested the "please". Or maybe I have no blessed idea why the "please" was inserted and am bluffing.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 01:59:06 PM by Don Howard »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 02:57:46 PM »
Gentleman that Johnny Olson was, he'd would say "Please stay tuned...". At least for that show he did. Perhaps SfT was beginning its fall from the ratings radar screen and CBS requested the "please". Or maybe I have no blessed idea why the "please" was inserted and am bluffing.

My best guess for the "Please" is what the show he was plugging wasn't coming up next.  All the other shows they did that for immediately followed the show that was concluding...but "Search for Tomorrow" had the local half-hour news to go through before it came on.  Maybe they figured more people would wait the extra half-hour if he said "Please"  :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 02:58:02 PM »
Holly's hair is grounds for a lawsuit.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 02:58:34 PM by chris319 »

dizzy

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 03:05:05 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 4 2005, 01:58 PM\']Holly's hair is grounds for a lawsuit.
[snapback]84358[/snapback]
[/quote]

LOL!!!  Now that should be the Line Of The Day!  :-)

Dizzy

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 03:08:31 PM »
[quote name=\'dizzy\' date=\'May 4 2005, 02:05 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 4 2005, 01:58 PM\']Holly's hair is grounds for a lawsuit.
[snapback]84358[/snapback]
[/quote]
LOL!!!  Now that should be the Line Of The Day!  :-)
[snapback]84359[/snapback]
[/quote]
I thought mods weren't eligible.  :)

Doug -- and the countdown to 1200 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)