Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jack Barry  (Read 10831 times)

WorldClassRob

Jack Barry
« on: May 02, 2005, 08:14:13 PM »
On this date, May 2 in 1984...the game show world lost one of television's most popular and at one time most infamous game show hosts.

Jack Barry, at the age of 66, passed away in New York after suffering a massive heart attack during a morning jog in Central Park.  Barry had returned from a trip to Europe he took shortly after finishing the 1983-84 season of TJW to visit his daughter, who was going to school there.

At the time of his death, Jack had three Barry & Enright game shows on television; one of which was on NBC (Hot Potato) and his other two franchise game shows (Joker and Tic Tac Dough) in syndication.  Plus he owned a cable television outlet in L.A. and also owned a radio station as well...not to mention getting involved in motion pictures.

This post is in memory of Jack Barry...who overcame the game show scandals of the 1950s that nearly ended his career and managed to get it together and create a bigger game show empire than the one he had during the height of the 1950s quiz show era.  He will not be forgotten in this community.

News of Barry's death did not travel quickly.  Newspapers such as the L.A. Times and Las Vegas Review Journal reported his death the following day (May 3); while others did not report his passing until May 4 or even May 5.

whewfan

Jack Barry
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 08:29:59 PM »
It should be noted that "Mr Barry" (as Herb Stempel was obliged to call him) made a couple of guest appearances on TV after the scandals were over. He played a reporter on an episode of The Addams Family, and was also on the Batman series.

Jimmy Owen

Jack Barry
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 08:42:07 PM »
It's really too bad the scandals happened.  It made the average viewer turn their backs on a genre they had trusted up to that point and made cynics of a generation.  I'm of the opinion that pressure from advertisers was the catalyst for the subterfuge, but B&E shouldn't have bowed to that pressure.

Hope nobody in the TV industry ever repeats that error.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

dizzy

Jack Barry
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 09:12:39 PM »
I remember the morning his death was reported. I had thought it was May 5th but perhaps I am confusing it with Tom Bergeron's Birthday. Yeah, I was totally shocked to hear that he was jogging when it happened. Since he was jogging it appears that Jack was at least attempting to live a healthy lifestyle. Had he stopped smoking though? That's the question that comes to mind at the moment.

Rest in Peace Jack. You were a great host.

Dizzy

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
Jack Barry
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 09:55:05 PM »
I for one would like to hear Barry's (and Enright's) take on the contest shows of today, considering all the accusations of scandal we've heard directed at them.
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

ChuckNet

Jack Barry
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 09:56:05 PM »
Since he was jogging it appears that Jack was at least attempting to live a healthy lifestyle.

Jack was an avid jogging enthusiast for yrs...in fact, back in early '78, he actually had to sit in a chair for about a wk-and-1/2 or so on TJW due to a leg injury he sustained during one of his jogs.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

WorldClassRob

Jack Barry
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 10:41:24 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'May 2 2005, 08:56 PM\']
Since he was jogging it appears that Jack was at least attempting to live a healthy lifestyle.

Jack was an avid jogging enthusiast for yrs...in fact, back in early '78, he actually had to sit in a chair for about a wk-and-1/2 or so on TJW due to a leg injury he sustained during one of his jogs.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
[snapback]84168[/snapback]
[/quote]

I remember that well...I believe Jack sat on a stool, which he continued to do so for the remainder of the first season.  I can relate to what he went through; I had an ankle injury over a year ago and that took quite a while to heal.  -RD-

WorldClassRob

Jack Barry
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 11:06:04 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'May 2 2005, 07:29 PM\']It should be noted that "Mr Barry" (as Herb Stempel was obliged to call him) made a couple of guest appearances on TV after the scandals were over. He played a reporter on an episode of The Addams Family, and was also on the Batman series.
[snapback]84154[/snapback]
[/quote]

Jack moved to Los Angeles after the scandals and did local work for several years, but remained blacklisted from the game show industry.  Among other things he worked on Batman as an "Assistant Director"; and he performed those duties again on "The Good Guys", "The Love Boat" and "Dynasty".  He was executive producer of "Mama Malone", which aired briefly on CBS in 1984.

In addition, Jack worked on local game shows, which was a regular staple on Los Angeles television during the 1960s and 1970s; and the aforementioned ownership of the Redondo Beach radio station.  So all in all he did get busy again, but as he stated before his death that he was unable to focus on his life for a few years after the scandals; and eventually focused on L.A. to redeem himself.  And it worked out well for him, and by the late-1960s he was able to get into game shows again, but it would be a tough sell for Jack.

Here's a fact regarding Jack's true return to the spotlight...
When "Joker" graduated from being a local game show to a national game show in 1972, the networks really wanted nothing to do with it.  NBC and ABC flat out turned the game show down.  CBS though wanted it, but wanted someone other than Jack Barry to host it (hosts considered at that time were Wink Martindale and Allen Ludden, but neither were available at that time).  Eventually CBS took a chance on Barry, and gave him a 13-week only contract.  That 13 week run eventually became a near-three year run, but not before changing the rules here and there, including utilizing three different bonus rounds.

What nearly got Jack in trouble during "Joker" was when the staff in the back failed to replace the bonus wheels with the category wheels before a game began, and the champion (who spinned first for a year or so) spinned three jokers on the first spin of the game (all of them saying "Wild" at the bottom).  When that error occurred, Jack invited the challenger (who spinned second) back to play again.  Eventually the bonus-game Jokers were changed so the word "Joker" would be at the bottom instead of "Wild".

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Jack Barry
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 02:58:54 AM »
Care to provide your source for this?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Jack Barry
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 03:46:21 AM »
A quick check of IMDB.com reveals that there is an A.D. named Jack Barry who is not the same person as the game show producer.

Owning a cable TV system and an FM radio station is not the mark of a man who is struggling to rebuild his career.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 03:47:06 AM by chris319 »

Robert Hutchinson

Jack Barry
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 04:44:41 AM »
[quote name=\'WorldClassRob\' date=\'May 2 2005, 10:06 PM\']What nearly got Jack in trouble during "Joker" was when the staff in the back failed to replace the bonus wheels with the category wheels before a game began, and the champion (who spinned first for a year or so) spinned three jokers on the first spin of the game (all of them saying "Wild" at the bottom).  When that error occurred, Jack invited the challenger (who spinned second) back to play again.  Eventually the bonus-game Jokers were changed so the word "Joker" would be at the bottom instead of "Wild".[/quote]

How in the world could that get Jack in trouble?

(And the past tense is "spun", FTR.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

mystery7

Jack Barry
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 10:49:06 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 3 2005, 02:46 AM\']A quick check of IMDB.com reveals that there is an A.D. named Jack Barry who is not the same person as the game show producer.
[snapback]84200[/snapback]
[/quote]
In fact, there are no fewer than six Jack Barries on IMDB.

tvwxman

Jack Barry
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 10:55:50 AM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'May 3 2005, 09:49 AM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 3 2005, 02:46 AM\']A quick check of IMDB.com reveals that there is an A.D. named Jack Barry who is not the same person as the game show producer.
[/quote]
In fact, there are no fewer than six Jack Barries on IMDB.
[snapback]84220[/snapback]
[/quote]

And, they all jogged. Coincidence? I think not.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

ilb4ever2000

Jack Barry
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005, 04:29:20 PM »
[quote name=\'WorldClassRob\' date=\'May 2 2005, 10:06 PM\']Among other things he worked on Batman as an "Assistant Director"; and he performed those duties again on "The Good Guys", "The Love Boat" and "Dynasty".  He was executive producer of "Mama Malone", which aired briefly on CBS in 1984.
[snapback]84182[/snapback]
[/quote]

As was mentioned, that Assistant Director was someone else. However, he did work on "Mama Malone".

[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 3 2005, 02:46 AM\']Owning a cable TV system and an FM radio station is not the mark of a man who is struggling to rebuild his career.
[/quote]

Doesn't mean he didn't have problems in his personal life. I remember reading that he became very depressed and was driven to drink after the Scandals.

WorldClassRob

Jack Barry
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 05:22:22 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 3 2005, 02:46 AM\']A quick check of IMDB.com reveals that there is an A.D. named Jack Barry who is not the same person as the game show producer.

Owning a cable TV system and an FM radio station is not the mark of a man who is struggling to rebuild his career.
[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying this, Chris.  I do know that Jack did appear on "Batman", and the Mama Malone producing is true.  Obviously TV Tome does not realize this and assumed it was the same guy.