Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bowling for dollars comeback?  (Read 9864 times)

sshuffield70

Bowling for dollars comeback?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2005, 09:33:51 AM »
Nope, we suck just like everyone else.  But rarely did it ever get above $1500 or $2000, and you're supposed to split it with your at-home "pin pal".  But at $10 or $20 a pop, it won't get too high anywhere fast.

saussage

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2005, 11:07:29 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Apr 18 2005, 08:33 AM\']Nope, we suck just like everyone else.  But rarely did it ever get above $1500 or $2000, and you're supposed to split it with your at-home "pin pal".  But at $10 or $20 a pop, it won't get too high anywhere fast.
[snapback]82321[/snapback]
[/quote]
I guess people could get creative to raise the money pot. Have the highest bowler go to a "bonus round" and bowl strike to determine the multiplier. Up to 10 strikes limit, anything but a strike and the multiplier stops and gets calculated in the total. A game total of $1500 with a multiplier of 5 (5 strikes) would make a grand total of $7500. Not bad for a night of bowling :)

... oh yeah, and give the pin pal a year's supply of rice-a-roni. :)
Actually, splitting the dough with a pin pal would suck nowadays because it's like splitting pennies. Matching the $ amounts between pin pal and bowler might work better during regular play. For my bonus round idea, it would only apply to the bowler, not the pin pal.

Saussage
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

TalkingHeadsFan

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2005, 08:12:57 PM »
Why doesn't GSN just air reruns of that Comedy Central show "Let's Bowl!" Heh, I loved that show.

Doug

byrd62

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2005, 10:16:03 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'Apr 18 2005, 10:07 PM\']I guess people could get creative to raise the money pot. Have the highest bowler go to a "bonus round" and bowl strike to determine the multiplier. Up to 10 strikes limit, anything but a strike and the multiplier stops and gets calculated in the total. A game total of $1500 with a multiplier of 5 (5 strikes) would make a grand total of $7500. Not bad for a night of bowling :)

... oh yeah, and give the pin pal a year's supply of rice-a-roni. :)
Actually, splitting the dough with a pin pal would suck nowadays because it's like splitting pennies. Matching the $ amounts between pin pal and bowler might work better during regular play. For my bonus round idea, it would only apply to the bowler, not the pin pal.

Saussage
[snapback]82422[/snapback]
[/quote]

Either that, or...have two bowlers compete in a "main game" played like 10-frame bowling, but only one ball per frame and 3 in the 10th, with only strikes counting.  Most strikes wins and plays for the jackpot, which can be won with three strikes in a row [a "turkey" in bowling terms].  Ties would be broken either by "extra frames" or, alternatively, by pin count.

The "pin pal" element could come during a designated frame, in which a strike means a nice prize for a lucky home viewer.

If this show were aired in syndication [as opposed to franchised, like the original BFD], the winner of the main game would get $1000 and play for a jackpot of $10,000; if the winner rolled 11 strikes, he'd win $2000, making the jackpot worth $20,000; a 12-strike perfect game would mean a $5000 win, and a $50,000 jackpot opportunity.

[Losers would receive $50 a strike, or a consolation prize if no strikes]

calliaume

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2005, 08:30:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Apr 15 2005, 12:21 AM\']Bring back Bowling for Dollars! In Minneapolis, it must've run three days a week--the "Who Wants to Be" of its time. And it would be exciting even on the "Whammy" prize budget.

Was the game the same everywhere--that is, two balls, a strike on both wins the jackpot?
[snapback]81981[/snapback]
[/quote]
IIRC, that was the format for the two times it ran in New York (hosted by Mets legend Bob Murphy, then WHN air personality Larry Kenney).

But, seriously, Bowling for Dollars?  I remember laughing at how lame this show was when I was 12, watching in Massachusetts (Candlepins for Cash).  Honestly, You Bet Your Life had more game play - the show was almost nothing but contestant interviews, a roster of people watching at home wanted to say hi to, then the inevitable 3-10 baby split.

saussage

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2005, 08:41:28 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Apr 28 2005, 07:30 PM\']But, seriously, Bowling for Dollars?  I remember laughing at how lame this show was when I was 12, watching in Massachusetts (Candlepins for Cash).
[snapback]83733[/snapback]
[/quote]
Like gambling games, it can grow on you.
As well, unlike most professional sports, you COULD tell the guy that keeps knocking the head pin over on BFD and say "I CAN DO BETTER THAN THAT PINHEAD" :)

I can't do that in basketball because I can't get any air... just have lots to give away :)

Tim L

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2005, 09:35:42 PM »
Speaking of Bowling shows, has anybody else caught ESPN's "Bowling Night?"  My wife and I enjoy it, both being league bowlers. (not to say I'm good at it mind you)..It's various athletes taking a shot at modest prize money in a bowling tournament..Fairly entertaining.Espn's Mike and Mike are the hosts..

saussage

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2005, 10:16:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Tim L\' date=\'Apr 28 2005, 08:35 PM\']Speaking of Bowling shows, has anybody else caught ESPN's "Bowling Night?"  My wife and I enjoy it, both being league bowlers. (not to say I'm good at it mind you)..It's various athletes taking a shot at modest prize money in a bowling tournament..Fairly entertaining.Espn's Mike and Mike are the hosts..
[snapback]83745[/snapback]
[/quote]
What's the show schedule?

It may be pointless since I live in Canada and I may not be able to even watch the show. <me gasping for breath rushing to repoint my dish. shhhh.> :)

Tim L

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 10:25:47 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'Apr 28 2005, 09:16 PM\'][quote name=\'Tim L\' date=\'Apr 28 2005, 08:35 PM\']Speaking of Bowling shows, has anybody else caught ESPN's "Bowling Night?"  My wife and I enjoy it, both being league bowlers. (not to say I'm good at it mind you)..It's various athletes taking a shot at modest prize money in a bowling tournament..Fairly entertaining.Espn's Mike and Mike are the hosts..
[snapback]83745[/snapback]
[/quote]
What's the show schedule?

It may be pointless since I live in Canada and I may not be able to even watch the show. <me gasping for breath rushing to repoint my dish. shhhh.> :)
[snapback]83759[/snapback]
[/quote]

First airing for new episodes is Tuesday at 8PM ET on ESPN with other showings through the week  possibly om ESPN 2

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2005, 11:48:02 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Apr 28 2005, 05:30 PM\']
I remember laughing at how lame this show was when I was 12, watching in Massachusetts (Candlepins for Cash).  Honestly, You Bet Your Life had more game play - the show was almost nothing but contestant interviews, a roster of people watching at home wanted to say hi to, then the inevitable 3-10 baby split.
[snapback]83733[/snapback]
[/quote]Actually, CFC's most inevitable first ball took out the 2 - 4 - 7 - 8 or the 3 - 6 - 9 - 10.  CFC's original host, Bob Gamere, always said "Knocked out the left (or right) side, left the right (or left) side!" when that happened.
Esoteric Eric, oh, by the way...[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Apr 15 2005, 12:21 AM\']Was the game the same everywhere--that is, two balls, a strike on both wins the jackpot?
[snapback]81981[/snapback]
[/quote]A candlepin strike being more difficult, only one was required to break the jackpot.  (Even so, the pot, which started at $200 and increased $20 for each bowler, once reached $6780.)  Later in the run, a jackpot winner got the chance to bowl a second strike to win a car for him / her and the Pin Pal.
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

calliaume

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2005, 09:51:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' date=\'Apr 28 2005, 10:48 PM\']Actually, CFC's most inevitable first ball took out the 2 - 4 - 7 - 8 or the 3 - 6 - 9 - 10.  CFC's original host, Bob Gamere, always said "Knocked out the left (or right) side, left the right (or left) side!" when that happened.
[snapback]83785[/snapback]
[/quote]
You're right on the first ball for Candlepins for Cash; I was mixing up the pre-game play for that show with the game play for Bowling for Dollars.

Bob Gamere put in a year as a Yankee broadcaster (oh, the horror for Boston fans) in 1970; his call, according to announcer scribe Curt Smith, was inevitably "Here it comes, there it goes," referring to a pitch thrown and a ball batted, well, anywhere.  Replaced quickly by Bill White.