Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Pop n' Rocker Game  (Read 4405 times)

TPIRkid79

The Pop n' Rocker Game
« on: August 05, 2003, 09:51:58 AM »
I'm wondering if anybody here remembers a game show called \"The Pop n' Rocker Game\" which was hosted by Jon \"Bowzer\" Bauman. Anyone remember that show? It was \"A Game In Concert\".

Ian Wallis

The Pop n' Rocker Game
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 09:57:43 AM »
I remember the show very well.  It debuted in 1983 (which to me, was the best year ever for pop music), and it featured many of the days' music stars.  In my area, it aired late night, so I had to tape it.  Jon Bauman was the host, and it was a neat show.  It was one of the few syndicated game shows of the '80s to run only once a week (most others were \"stripped\" by this point).  The only other that comes to mind is \"Triple Threat\" - another music show.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

urbanpreppie05

The Pop n' Rocker Game
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 10:03:08 AM »
Question- who was the announcer on that show? He sounded VERY familiar....
insert signature here

zachhoran

The Pop n' Rocker Game
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 10:04:42 AM »
I believe it was the late \"SNL\" and \"Newsradio\" star Phil Hartman. Hartman also announced one of the Scrabble pilots, as did new Squares announcer John Moschitta Jr.

zachhoran

The Pop n' Rocker Game
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 10:06:35 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 08:57 AM\'] It was one of the few syndicated game shows of the '80s to run only once a week (most others were "stripped" by this point).  The only other that comes to mind is "Triple Threat" - another music show. [/quote]
 There were a few other weekly syndie game shows in the 80s: Starcade, Treasure Mall, Slime Time, Remote Control, COllege Mad House, Video Game, Grandstand. But only Starcade lasted more than a season.

TPIRkid79

The Pop n' Rocker Game
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 10:22:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 08:57 AM\'] The only other that comes to mind is "Triple Threat" - another music show. [/quote]
 I remember once seeing Triple Threat with Jim Lange on a Saturday. Then I once saw a BET version.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Pop n' Rocker Game
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2003, 11:40:09 AM »
[quote name=\'TPIRkid79\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 07:22 AM\'] I remember once seeing Triple Threat with Jim Lange on a Saturday. Then I once saw a BET version. [/quote]
 Yeah, when the Lange Triple Threat debuted in the San Francisco market (I can't speak for the rest of the country), it ran as a strip for one week to introduce people to the show, and then took up its regular weekend time slot. Then, of course, because it sucked, it got canned, and BET decided to resurrect it as original programming, giving the subject matter a more Urban / R&B theme, with Spencer Christian at the helm.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PeterMarshallFan

The Pop n' Rocker Game
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2003, 11:42:01 AM »
Even though I've only seen one episode, I don't think Pop 'N Rocker deserved most of the crap it gets. It was kinda loopy but still pretty good.

ChuckNet

The Pop n' Rocker Game
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2003, 11:47:21 AM »
I believe it was the late \"SNL\" and \"Newsradio\" star Phil Hartman.

MG Kelly also announced PNR later in the run.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

zachhoran

The Pop n' Rocker Game
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2003, 11:51:32 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 10:40 AM\'] [quote name=\'TPIRkid79\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 07:22 AM\'] I remember once seeing Triple Threat with Jim Lange on a Saturday. Then I once saw a BET version. [/quote]
Yeah, when the Lange Triple Threat debuted in the San Francisco market (I can't speak for the rest of the country), it ran as a strip for one week to introduce people to the show, and then took up its regular weekend time slot. Then, of course, because it sucked, it got canned, and BET decided to resurrect it as original programming, giving the subject matter a more Urban / R&B theme, with Spencer Christian at the helm. [/quote]
 WWOR in NY ran it in daytime for one week in early 1989. WPXI aired Threat early in the run IIRC, and then WWOR took it over. WPHL aired Threat on weekend late nights in Philly, but did not air the \"test\" week as a strip.

BrandonFG

The Pop n' Rocker Game
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2003, 11:54:57 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 10:51 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 10:40 AM\'] [quote name=\'TPIRkid79\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 07:22 AM\'] I remember once seeing Triple Threat with Jim Lange on a Saturday. Then I once saw a BET version. [/quote]
Yeah, when the Lange Triple Threat debuted in the San Francisco market (I can't speak for the rest of the country), it ran as a strip for one week to introduce people to the show, and then took up its regular weekend time slot. Then, of course, because it sucked, it got canned, and BET decided to resurrect it as original programming, giving the subject matter a more Urban / R&B theme, with Spencer Christian at the helm. [/quote]
WWOR in NY ran it in daytime for one week in early 1989. WPXI aired Threat early in the run IIRC, and then WWOR took it over. WPHL aired Threat on weekend late nights in Philly, but did not air the "test" week as a strip. [/quote]
 I remember watching the Lange version, but not having a single clue what it was about. I do remember it aired in Norfolk on Sunday afternoons on WVEC, no strip.  I vividly remember the BET version, esp. the very catchy theme song.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

J.R.

The Pop n' Rocker Game
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2003, 02:22:47 PM »
Oh yes, I saw The Pop N'Rocker game for the first time in my life at this years GSC. I thought it was a good show and the musicial guests were farily higher-class. Bauman is a much better host here that he was at MG/HS Hour, because the show is music and thats his element. Probably the musical guests is what kept the prize budget down.

And thanks to Chuckie's generosity with his gift tapes there, I am now a proud owner of a copy of the show ! The ep. I have has a contestant named \"Mykul\" !

-Joe R.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2003, 02:23:26 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

zachhoran

The Pop n' Rocker Game
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2003, 02:26:14 PM »
I apologize for sounding like Mr. Lemon for a moment, but yeah, the show had our favorite 80s suckfest artists(IRene Cara, Oingo Boingo, Culture Club, etc.)

brianhenke

The Pop n' Rocker Game
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2003, 05:43:43 PM »
IIRC The Pop n Rocker Game aired on Saturday mornings here in still WWTBAM-less Cincinnati.

Brian

Start spreading the word?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions!
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?