Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your opinions on "Supermarket Sweep"  (Read 11961 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Your opinions on "Supermarket Sweep"
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2005, 09:02:21 PM »
One problem with the tag-team idea: If teammates didn't have a very exact strategy for tackling the market, both shoppers could wind up duplicating each other, which would be a waste of time and be rather pointless to watch. "Oh no! Mary is picking up the same contact lens solution that her partner John already grabbed! Those aren't going to count!"

Also, how much would each person have to contribute? Say my teammate can run faster and has more arm strength than I do. Can I immediately tag him back so he can more efficiently do all of the shopping? Can I run into the market with no cart, grab two packages of diapers, then immediately run back to tag him? Kind of messy to enforce.

--
Scott Robinson

(Stream of consciousness thought from my first paragraph: I know that after the fifth item, any additional items wouldn't count toward the total. Was there a penalty for deliberately taking huge quantities of products? Seems like it would be just as easy to scoop in all of the expensive medicine products rather than count off five -- and then your opponents can't get any of them at all.)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2005, 09:18:47 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 08:02 PM\']Say my teammate can run faster and has more arm strength than I do. Can I immediately tag him back so he can more efficiently do all of the shopping? Can I run into the market with no cart, grab two packages of diapers, then immediately run back to tag him? Kind of messy to enforce.[/quote]
Well theoretically you *could*, it'd be your own time you're wasting.

Seems like it would be just as easy to scoop in all of the expensive medicine products rather than count off five -- and then your opponents can't get any of them at all.)
Once again, wasting your own time, instead of picking off things right next to the Pepto Bismol Gel Caps that you could be plucking off the shelf instead.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

RobertSearcy

• Executive Producer
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2005, 09:34:52 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 06:05 PM\']And although it was not my intent in to fish for compliments by starting the thread, your kind comments about my laryngeal contributions are greatly appreciated.
[snapback]83580[/snapback]
[/quote]

Randy, you weren't fishin' for 'em........you're just that damn good of an announcer to where we compliment ya each time you post. :-D  (You're not a Johnny Olsen, a Rod Roddy, or a Gene Wood, but you're still damn good)

Once again, wasting your own time, instead of picking off things right next to the Pepto Bismol Gel Caps that you could be plucking off the shelf instead.

Mark's right.........you'd be wasting time you probably ain't got in the first place.  Although I wonder if someone actually has tried that on the actual show..............

(I doubt it, but still, there's no federal law against wondering :-P)
"If everyone played Stud 8, it wouldn't matter who's in the White House because this would be one happy country!" -- Norman Chad during the 2007 World Series of Poker $50K HORSE event

Terry K

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2005, 09:52:23 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 06:35 PM\'][quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 04:07 PM\']One thing to even things out during the sweep, put meat and so on 'on sale' like a real supermarket would.  Make some of the meat a 'managers markdown' and so on to discourage people from grabbing the same items every show. (or make it more challenging) 
[/quote]

In other words, turn the interesting part of the game into even more of a luckfest than it already is? No thanks.

You know why people grab the same items every show? BECAUSE THEY'RE EXPENSIVE, AND THE CONTESTANTS HAVE A CLUE.

You could achieve the same end you're going for by hiring WOF's contestant coordinators.
[snapback]83585[/snapback]
[/quote]

What i was getting was that the sweep is pretty formula as it is.  What I'm trying to get at is that by making the meat a crap shoot, it discourages the 'grab the same 10 items every sweep' syndrome.  By taking the frequently grabbed items and dropping the retails on them as in a sale, you also throw the teams a curveball and make them play things a bit differently.

If you know, for example that turkeys are going to be worth $10 instead of the usual 20 or so, it makes for different dynamics.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2005, 09:57:11 PM »
Just a rebuttal to the whole tag-team thing: it's a decent idea, but it'd get messy - and dangerous - near the check-out. The teams go in knowing only one can run the sweep.

As for the "grabbing the same items" syndrome - what breaks up that supposed monotony are the different bonuses every day. I never got tired of the shopping strategies.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2005, 05:04:23 AM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 06:02 PM\']Was there a penalty for deliberately taking huge quantities of products? Seems like it would be just as easy to scoop in all of the expensive medicine products rather than count off five -- and then your opponents can't get any of them at all.)
[snapback]83600[/snapback]
[/quote]
Randy would know definitively, I'm sure, but I would guess that a penalty would be enforced, and it would probably be the same penalty as the one for dropping an item on the floor and failing to either put it in your cart or return it to its home.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe