Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your opinions on "Supermarket Sweep"  (Read 11971 times)

joe_capitano

Your opinions on "Supermarket Sweep"
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2005, 05:48:11 PM »
The Bad:

1. This crawl which was nothing more than a plug for Crest Whitestrips (or some other product). What was that all about? On a show built up on product placement, that seemed superfluous.

2. The obligatory applause everybody engages in through the entire show. Do we need to be THAT perky?

3. Not seeing a clock for the entire sweep (and the entire sweep for that matter), though I understand why.

The Good:
1-infinity: Everything said so far.

What I'd like to see, and this a real fantasy: "Stadium" Shopping. Use a real (old-school) supermarket to shop in, just like the old days. There's got to be a location somewhere in L.A. suitable enough to become a Sweepermarket. Put Randy up in a booth above the action (with or without a camera), get him a sportscaster headset, and watch the fur fly.

Speaking of "fly", how about an overhead camera just for kicks. Remember when they used a trackcam at MSNBC for a time. Talk about a unique perspective.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2005, 06:06:20 PM »
The reason to raise the bonus round jackpot to $10,000 is: How many people would use up their eligibility to win $2,500?  Not many.  Would anyone even try out for a prize that small?  $10k is fine by me.

I wanted to address something said back on page one: that the team with the most time won most of the time.  That makes perfect sense.  Increasing the inflatable bonus amounts destroys any lead built up.  If you're in third, head to the medicine aisle.  It was hardly ever done, most teams made that right turn into the meat aisle.  Smart shopping can beat a time advantage.
Travis L. Eberle

dizzy

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2005, 06:31:28 PM »
Damn, I am trying so hard to come up with how you could improve on this show. However it's difficult because it was already so good.

Definitely bring back Ruprecht if he's available. Peter Tomarken if he isn't. I'm all for bringing back Mr. Press Your Luck to the small screen. He's got a good personality and I think he would do well on Supermarket Sweep.

Randy you did your best work on Supermarket Sweep. You are an easy pick for announcer. Johnny Gilbert would be awsome again as well. If the both of you happen to fall off the face of the planet, I would get Bob Hilton. I miss that guys energy on Win Lose or Draw. He deserves another shot.

When the players start scanning their items from the Big Sweep I would have three Bag Boys bagging all the groceries just to add to the visual effect and make it seem more like a Real Supermarket. Personally I would like to see three hot chicks called Grocery Girls, but I guess that would be up to Mr. Howard. :-)

Also add an ATM machine nearby. It would be a great way to get a Bank to sponsor the program since their name would obviously be on the top of that machine. Ok Ok... maybe I'm getting to much into the business end of it now. lol. But an ATM machine is another thing that would make it seem more like a Real supermarket!

I'll leave the actual game play and associated elements up to everyone else here. They seem to have better ideas as far as that goes. If you are indeed pitching the show to another Network, I wish you much luck. That would be awsome. How about 10:30 Am on CBS right before Price? :-) Seems like the perfect place to me. Maybe there "COULD" be a small chance for the Network to snag that extra hour back. Supermarket Sweep would get them half way to that goal. Remind Les Moonves of that. :-)

Dizzy
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 06:34:36 PM by dizzy »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2005, 06:34:00 PM »
[quote name=\'dizzy\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 05:31 PM\']That would be awsome. How about 10:30 Am on CBS right before Price? :-) Seems like the perfect place to me. [/quote]

No way in heck will you get stations to revert a half hour back.  My affiliate airs "Regis" before Price.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dizzy

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2005, 06:38:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 05:34 PM\'][quote name=\'dizzy\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 05:31 PM\']That would be awsome. How about 10:30 Am on CBS right before Price? :-) Seems like the perfect place to me. [/quote]

No way in heck will you get stations to revert a half hour back.  My affiliate airs "Regis" before Price.
[snapback]83397[/snapback]
[/quote]

Small chance in hell (or) Slim to none. Yes I agree. But NEVER say NEVER. TV is a crazy world where ANYTHING can happen.

Dizzy

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2005, 07:24:46 PM »
[quote name=\'dizzy\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 03:31 PM\']  When the players start scanning their items from the Big Sweep I would have three Bag Boys bagging all the groceries just to add to the visual effect and make it seem more like a Real Supermarket. Personally I would like to see three hot chicks called Grocery Girls, but I guess that would be up to Mr. Howard. :-)

Also add an ATM machine nearby. It would be a great way to get a Bank to sponsor the program since their name would obviously be on the top of that machine. Ok Ok... maybe I'm getting to much into the business end of it now. lol. But an ATM machine is another thing that would make it seem more like a Real supermarket!
[/quote]
You gotta be friggin' kidding me.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2005, 07:50:20 PM »
I completely agree about dropping the 30-Second Shootout. In addition to the other reasons mentioned, it ate up the time that could have been used for another mini-game, which meant there were fewer opportunities to earn seconds on those episodes.

I also audibly groaned at my TV whenever I found out the $300 Movie was in play in the sweep. As far as I'm concerned, all bonuses should be available to be picked up by all three shoppers.

I actually didn't mind the overabundance of bonuses, because usually, if a team went for all bonuses and no shopping, their total would be terribly low. Same with some teams that went for all shopping and no bonuses. You had to have the right balance of shopping and bonuses to win.

(For example, I'd say keep the candy counter -- as a way to punish the shoppers with poor strategy. Unless you had already snagged all of the big-ticket items, it took too long to shovel the right amount of candy in there for only $100.)

I don't want to dwell too deeply into Negativeville here, but one more thing: David Ruprecht's patter was always the same. It just sounded really scripted and there was never any ad-libbing. I don't know why that was, but a less rigidly-enforced script would help give the show a more casual feel.

Definitely keep the bonus round. And you need an announcer who can make the same shopping patterns sound fresh and new with every episode. I never noticed a problem there.

--
Scott Robinson

BrandonFG

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2005, 10:25:10 PM »
[quote name=\'dizzy\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 05:31 PM\']Damn, I am trying so hard to come up with how you could improve on this show. However it's difficult because it was already so good.[/quote]

o

o

o

When the players start scanning their items from the Big Sweep I would have three Bag Boys bagging all the groceries just to add to the visual effect and make it seem more like a Real Supermarket. Personally I would like to see three hot chicks called Grocery Girls, but I guess that would be up to Mr. Howard. :-)

[snapback]83396[/snapback]

You just turned the show six steps in the wrond direction. However, if Fremantle ever picks up Sweep, then fax them your resume, and this post.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MyCapableAssistant

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2005, 02:06:54 AM »
[quote name=\'AZAndrewG\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 02:06 PM\']Also, in order to ensure participation by both team members,have te team members alternate during the big sweep -- when one comes in witha full cart, send the other one out,
[snapback]83381[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's a goodie, I like it!

Lotsa great suggestions in the thread, here's a few that came to my mind:

THE BAD: Variety. *Different* "big prize items" would be nice. Would be nice to see DIFFERENT contestants go after a DIFFERENT "big prize item" instead of the SAME garden hoses, mops, cheeses, hams, and diapers every day.

Maybe not as much time showing STILL action looking for a movie while "the mad driver" was dashing around the supermarket making "shopping cart history," LOL!!  

THE GOOD
: Great announcer! One of my favorite parts of the show was listening to the play-by-play that you gave, Randy... seriously! Super job!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 02:10:19 AM by MyCapableAssistant »

uncamark

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2005, 05:18:26 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 09:25 PM\']You just turned the show six steps in the wrond direction. However, if Fremantle ever picks up Sweep, then fax them your resume, and this post.
[snapback]83456[/snapback]
[/quote]

Doesn't Fremantle handle the international licensing of "Sweep" (and wouldn't they be likely to pick up the full ownership of the show when Al Howard retires or passes on?)

dizzy

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2005, 05:27:49 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 04:18 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 09:25 PM\']You just turned the show six steps in the wrond direction. However, if Fremantle ever picks up Sweep, then fax them your resume, and this post.
[snapback]83456[/snapback]
[/quote]

Doesn't Fremantle handle the international licensing of "Sweep" (and wouldn't they be likely to pick up the full ownership of the show when Al Howard retires or passes on?)
[snapback]83559[/snapback]
[/quote]

My resume is on it's Way! ;-)

Dizzy

dazztardly

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2005, 06:09:07 PM »
-The mini-sweeps
-The short-lived racing shopping carts intro.[I thought that really set the mood for the show.]

Dislikes:
-A wrong is indicated right away on the spot, whereas a correct answer results in a comment such as "It might be!" or "Let's find out!" followed by an awkward pause.[That's the BIGGIE for me that drives me nuts, because the build-up is unbalanced and feels very awkward.]

-Waaaaay too many applause moments.

-Dan
FLASHGames²

tvrandywest

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2005, 07:05:02 PM »
Thanks all! Some great ideas. And although it was not my intent in to fish for compliments by starting the thread, your kind comments about my laryngeal contributions are greatly appreciated. Yes, there is some EXTREMELY early conversation about the show's possible return, but it's WAY too early to begin to even think about commenting on it. But I did want to have some of your input for when the time is appropriate.

Mrs. Smith down the street has many cars; therefore she's likely to "pick up" mine when I move? It's a decision to be made by those associated with the present ownership. There's a son and a couple of roommates who might like to detail the old beauty and keep it in private hands to drive, or perhaps put it up on blocks to keep it from being stripped in some chop shop. OK, the analogies, metaphors and similies are out of control, but I think I made the point    ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 07:06:27 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Terry K

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2005, 07:07:40 PM »
One thing to even things out during the sweep, put meat and so on 'on sale' like a real supermarket would.  Make some of the meat a 'managers markdown' and so on to discourage people from grabbing the same items every show. (or make it more challenging)  

I also agree with getting the other partner involved in the sweep.  If I was going to play SS (and believe me, I will someday when its back on !) it for the most part is a once in a lifetime experience so both players should be involved.  The Tag Team idea is one of the best I've heard.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2005, 07:35:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 04:07 PM\']One thing to even things out during the sweep, put meat and so on 'on sale' like a real supermarket would.  Make some of the meat a 'managers markdown' and so on to discourage people from grabbing the same items every show. (or make it more challenging) 
[/quote]

In other words, turn the interesting part of the game into even more of a luckfest than it already is? No thanks.

You know why people grab the same items every show? BECAUSE THEY'RE EXPENSIVE, AND THE CONTESTANTS HAVE A CLUE.

You could achieve the same end you're going for by hiring WOF's contestant coordinators.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe