Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Host's name on screen.......  (Read 7375 times)

BrandonFG

Host's name on screen.......
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2005, 09:07:09 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 06:34 PM\'][quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 12:00 PM\']In the end credits, Martindale's HR always showed the logo with "starring Wink Martindale" below it.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com
[snapback]83031[/snapback]
[/quote]

80s $otC and 80s Scrabble also had the host names during the end credits. Heck, most shows mention the host names during the end credits, even if it was to plug the maker of the host's wardrobe.
[snapback]83066[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, if we're mentioning host's names during the end credits (not counting wardrobe mentions), there's also "Wipeout" and "TTD." I'm not sure about the other B&E properties (wouldn't know why they wouldn't), but I do remember TTD having that show's logo, then "with Wink Martindale".
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

rugrats1

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2005, 11:33:18 PM »
I do remember TTD having that show's logo, then "with Wink Martindale".

Though, on many occasions, TTD's closing credits often began with "with Wink Martindale", instead of the show logo.  (Not counting the disclaimers that precede it.)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2005, 11:41:02 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 10:33 PM\']Though, on many occasions, TTD's closing credits often began with "with Wink Martindale", instead of the show logo.  (Not counting the disclaimers that precede it.)
[snapback]83085[/snapback]
[/quote]
IIRC, the "with Wink Martindale" followed the logo on the full credit roll.  The short credit roll had no logo (at the beginning) and opened with the "with Wink Martindale" (and different typefaces were used to distinguish the two credit rolls)--the short credit roll consisted of the "with Wink" graphic, B&E's logo, the wardrobe plug, the distributor and the TTD logo with copyright date.

Doug
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 11:41:30 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Casey

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2005, 02:53:35 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 02:42 PM\']Wasn't Ron Ely's name shown on the screen at the beginning of "Face The Music" as well?
[snapback]83044[/snapback]
[/quote]
Close.. Ron's name was shown in the end credits with a Starring credit.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2005, 08:23:45 PM »
I know that a lot of U.K. Game Shows from the 70s and 80s did it too. I'm not exactly sure which ones though... I think there are clips at tv ark which have the hosts' names upfront.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

ChuckNet

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2005, 10:28:09 PM »
As was said earlier in this thread, that was the case for part or all of the 60s primetime run.

Only the first coupla mos or so, actually.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2005, 10:29:27 PM »
Close.. Ron's name was shown in the end credits with a Starring credit.

And later in the run, he was announced as such during the announcer's closing spiel as well, referring to it as "FtM starring Ron Ely".

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

GS Warehouse

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2005, 12:45:37 AM »
I can't add any that haven't already been said, but there were a few times I wished the host's name was displayed on-screen.  Take Hit Man, for instance.  I was 7 when it debuted and the name "Tomarken" sounded like "Tobaggon" to my underdeveloped ears.  It wasn't until I first discovered PYL a few months into the run when I learned the spelling of Peter's name.  Granted, it does help when the host's name is seen in the "[host]'s wardrobe provided by..." credit (examples: Benirshke, Ruprecht)--but did NBC's keyed credits on HM seem illegible compared to PYL's chyroned credits or is it my faulty memory?

There's one more that was even worse: I'm Telling!  With no closed captioning or hosted-by or wardrobe credit, I had no idea who this man Dean Goss was introducing us to was.  I had been spelling it something like "Lorry Bosso" until I discovered all these game show pages in the late '90s.  (In retrospect, after finding out, I've noticed the name Laurie Faso in a couple of 1980s cartoon series for Hanna-Barbera, and that he appeared in the "Tool Time" audience in an episode of Home Improvement.)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 12:46:22 AM by GS Warehouse »

BrandonFG

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2005, 12:57:39 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 11:45 PM\']I can't add any that haven't already been said, but there were a few times I wished the host's name was displayed on-screen.  Take Hit Man, for instance.  I was 7 when it debuted and the name "Tomarken" sounded like "Tobaggon" to my underdeveloped ears.[/quote]

For the longest time, when Supermarket Sweep first came on Lifetime, I thought David's last name was Lambert. Don't ask me how. :-)

I've noticed the name Laurie Faso in a couple of 1980s cartoon series for Hanna-Barbera, and that he appeared in the "Tool Time" audience in an episode of Home Improvement.)
[snapback]83483[/snapback]

He was also in a later episode of Martin, playing a waiter. It's the episode in which Martin saves an African prince's life. Laurie's scene:

MARTIN: I'm about to open up a can of whoop-ass.
WAITER/FASO: Oh, no! Not the whoop-ass!

About the only funny line of the episode. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

rugrats1

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2005, 08:50:15 PM »
I've noticed the name Laurie Faso in a couple of 1980s cartoon series for Hanna-Barbera, and that he appeared in the "Tool Time" audience in an episode of Home Improvement.)

He was also in a later episode of Martin, playing a waiter.

Lest we forget his late-1970s kiddie series, "Marlo & The Magic Movie Machine".
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 08:50:36 PM by rugrats1 »