Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: H2 Changes, for its last season  (Read 20115 times)

ChuckNet

H2 Changes, for its last season
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2003, 11:43:21 AM »
John Moshcitta Jr is the new announcer?

That'll make it harder to distinguish if your local station's doing speedups. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2003, 11:43:51 AM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 07:59 AM\']
The show has known for a while that the show may end after this season.

That's sad. Knowing it's coming.

Gee, if anyone has seen a cancellation notice yet, I'd like to see them bend some spoons or pick next week's lotto winners. [/quote]
 1) What part of the difference between \"may\" and \"will\" do you not understand?

2) King World been busy for the last year or so getting clearances for the show that is going to steal any prime clearances that H2 might enjoy now. Barring a ratings miracle this season, or the rehiring of Peter Marshall (and I suppose it COULD happen), it's at BEST the beginning of the end.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChuckNet

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2003, 11:46:19 AM »
Glad to see they dumped those Behind the Squares bumpers, BTW...I noticed that when they didn't do them during this past season's ToC wk, it left a good chunk of additional gameplay time, often allowing them to squeeze in 3 1/2-4 games.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2003, 11:48:26 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 11:43 AM\']
John Moshcitta Jr is the new announcer?

That'll make it harder to distinguish if your local station's doing speedups. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 LOL! Good one, Chuck!

Hiroland

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2003, 11:53:15 AM »
I also think John was on Family Challenge as well to help with fast talking challenges. Very Glad to see Martin Mull get Center Square. He deserves it!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2003, 11:53:35 AM by Hiroland »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2003, 12:24:07 PM »
Very Glad to see Martin Mull get Center Square. He deserves it!
I agree that Mull is a gifted comic and wit who deserves any recognition he gets.  I have to say, though, that when Squares takes one of their own semi-regulars and puts them in the center, I'm left with a vague feeling that somebody isn't trying hard enough.  I like the idea that the center square is reserved for a Special Guest Star.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SplitSecond

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2003, 12:35:56 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 08:43 AM\'] [quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 07:59 AM\']
The show has known for a while that the show may end after this season.

That's sad. Knowing it's coming.

Gee, if anyone has seen a cancellation notice yet, I'd like to see them bend some spoons or pick next week's lotto winners. [/quote]
1) What part of the difference between "may" and "will" do you not understand?

2) King World been busy for the last year or so getting clearances for the show that is going to steal any prime clearances that H2 might enjoy now. Barring a ratings miracle this season, or the rehiring of Peter Marshall (and I suppose it COULD happen), it's at BEST the beginning of the end. [/quote]
 I think that he understands it in this specific instance more than anyone else on this board.  After all, it's a bigger difference for him - \"I may/will not get a paycheck from them a year from now\" - than for you - \"I may/will not get to hear someone say 'for the five-square win' a year from now.\"

After all, if there was ever a valid reason for us/Steve Beverly to be going around chanting that it's likely Atari's closing up shop a year from now, I'd be very surprised if one \"the reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated\" post was all we heard from you on the matter, Chris.

Card Shark

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2003, 03:57:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 01:59 AM\'] I'm hoping all the changes in this last season will lead to a ratings resurgence and a new season following the upcoming season, so this final season could the be the prelude to the next season of H2. [/quote]
 Is it certain that this is in fact the final season?
Adam Strom

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2003, 04:16:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 07:57 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 01:59 AM\'] I'm hoping all the changes in this last season will lead to a ratings resurgence and a new season following the upcoming season, so this final season could the be the prelude to the next season of H2. [/quote]
Is it certain that this is in fact the final season? [/quote]
 Man, don't you love it when everybody's paying attention.

No, absolutely nothing is certain so early in the season.  There is some amount of superficial and circumstantial evidence that suggests that it MIGHT be the last season, and that has many of our members assuming that it WILL be.  But nothing official has been announced, and one could easily assume that it's WAY too early for anything official to have even been decided yet.

But I tell you, as game show FANS, it sure wouldn't hurt for us to have at least a *slightly* more positive outlook on things.  The show is kicking creatively, after all the mainstream critics said it wouldn't have a chance after Whoopi left.  The format changes will help them do a more economical show with more excitement (more Secret Squares, more bonus rounds).  And nobody says it HAS to air in the precious prime clearances that KingWorld is locking up for a different show.  If KingWorld decides to shop it, and if enough stations want it in whatever time slot they have for it, it'll come back.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2003, 04:20:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 03:16 PM\'] But I tell you, as game show FANS, it sure wouldn't hurt for us to have at least a *slightly* more positive outlook on things.  The show is kicking creatively, after all the mainstream critics said it wouldn't have a chance after Whoopi left. [/quote]
 Didn't the ratings actually increase somewhere during the season? I thought it at least made it back to 3.0 somewhere along the line?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2003, 04:30:30 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 09:35 AM\'] I think that he understands it in this specific instance more than anyone else on this board.  After all, it's a bigger difference for him - "I may/will not get a paycheck from them a year from now" [/quote]
 Excellent point, and one I didn't take into account. My apologies.

After all, if there was ever a valid reason for us/Steve Beverly to be going around chanting that it's likely Atari's closing up shop a year from now, I'd be very surprised if one \"the reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated\" post was all we heard from you on the matter, Chris.

Quite frankly, as long as the economy stays in the dumper like it has, I consider every day here as one more day I don't have to worry about making rent. Between all of the stories in the media about the economy and the stories about tech jobs moving to India, if I'm still sitting at this desk next year at this time, I'll be THRILLED.

(I'll also REALLY wanna get up and stretch. Badump-bump. Thank you very much, I'll be here all week, try your waitress, tip the swordfish...)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2003, 07:25:42 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 09:59 AM\'] Gee, if anyone has seen a cancellation notice yet, I'd like to see them bend some spoons or pick next week's lotto winners. [/quote]
 You're right.  But you gotta admit that things don't look too optimistic.  With all the radical (wonderful) changes, ratings did improve... but realistically, not enough.  If they did, all the cost cutting wouldn't be happening.  This has to be an unusally amazing year for H2 to be back.  And you surely know that it's really hard to compete with juggernauts like WoF, J!, ET, Judge Judy, Dr. Phil, Oprah, and hell, even WWTBAM to a certain degree.

I'm still gonna watch faithfully, but remember there is a difference between pessimism and realism.

Brandon Brooks

Dan Sadro

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2003, 12:06:45 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 03:30 PM\'] try your waitress, tip the swordfish [/quote]
 As the cook, I must apologize that the waitress was far too salty.

Care for some busboy sorbet, on the house?

To the topic, though, Brandon said it perfectly.  There is a difference between pessimism and realism.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2003, 10:09:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Dan Sadro\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 11:06 PM\'] To the topic, though, Brandon said it perfectly.  There is a difference between pessimism and realism. [/quote]
 From someone who knows, there is a difference; they just intertwine so often it's hard to tell.

ChuckNet

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2003, 11:50:24 AM »
2) King World been busy for the last year or so getting clearances for the show that is going to steal any prime clearances that H2 might enjoy now. Barring a ratings miracle this season, or the rehiring of Peter Marshall (and I suppose it COULD happen), it's at BEST the beginning of the end.

I agree...even as a big fan of the show, I know the ratings have been down since the 4th season, and I even predicted it would prolly wrap up after next season.

But hey, at least they still managed to last twice as long as Davidson's version!