Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: H2 Changes, for its last season  (Read 20117 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
H2 Changes, for its last season
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2003, 10:11:49 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Aug 4 2003, 09:02 PM\'] This 2-to-3 format, wasn't that done on the 1981 Vegas Season ? [/quote]
 In essence, that was the format used for the daytime version ($200 per game--two games out of three won the match, and any player amassing $2000 [winning five matches] received over $25,000 in prizes including a new car).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2003, 11:49:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 4 2003, 07:10 PM\'] In other words, it took them five seasons to get to where WE'VE been saying they should have been all along. [/quote]
 Eh, now I'm indifferent to the idea, and I have a somewhat bad taste in my mouth.  I see and understand them having to cut costs; as Mr. West has said, a 2.5 ain't going to cut it for a big budget show.  I just hope the game play hasn't been sacrificed.  I just don't see it as a really good sign when a game show has to slash the amounts they give away noticeably.  Money is still money no matter how much it is, but nothing good ever comes of reduction, IMO.

Brandon Brooks

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2003, 12:17:32 AM »
I wasn't even thinking about the lesser prizes when I said what you quoted.  My observation was merely that they should have been doing the two-out-of-three thing all along, and CERTAINLY when they went to returning champions.

As for the money, I definitely see your point (now that I've read the link).  There's nothing particularly chintzy with the new payouts taken by themselves.  In other words, had this been the payout all along, I don't think anyone would accuse them of being cheap.   But yeah, when they were giving out more and now they're giving out significantly less, it does look bad to regular viewers.

Still wish the champ would get 45 seconds instead of 30 so that he could realistically hear all nine questions in the bonus, but other than that, I'm pleased with the moves.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvrandywest

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2003, 01:06:28 AM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'Aug 4 2003, 08:40 PM\'] http://www.geocities.com/mstiescott/hs080203.html
 [/quote]
Hi Scott; didn't know you were there. I would have said \"hi\"   ;-)

Great summarization. You must have taken notes to remember all those details! While I waited for \"bricon\" to chime in with clarifications for you, I'll jump in just to answer your questions.

The red crawling sign is called \"silent radio\". The new announcer is a friend of the production company and a bit of a star in his own right. John Moschitta was the \"fast talker\" in the Federal Express commercials of the 1980s, it's a feat that landed him in the Guiness Book of Records at the time. He has been heard more recently on some toy spots.

And you are correct that the shows you saw are the 2nd week of the season. The first week is a \"special week\" and was taped on Sunday

FWIW, I think that the new format greatly improves the show.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: August 05, 2003, 01:12:10 AM by tvrandywest »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2003, 01:59:01 AM »
I'm hoping all the changes in this last season will lead to a ratings resurgence and a new season following the upcoming season, so this final season could the be the prelude to the next season of H2.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2003, 02:27:46 AM »
By now, these people (producers) should've known that this is a sign for resurgence and that they should extend the life of the show by another 2-3 years.

I think, if the show straddles, it would be cool to see, since I never seen the Marshall Daytime Squares...so when is the new season starting?

CBSJokersWildFan

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2003, 02:41:00 AM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'Aug 4 2003, 09:40 PM\']On Saturday, after returning from the first taping day, I wrote up a detailed account of my first trip to watch Hollywood Squares. I was going to post it on this board in the Spoilers section (with three replies to myself to get it all in), but since this thread already exists, I'll just put up a web link:

http://www.geocities.com/mstiescott/hs080203.html

Reveals the changes to the rules, but goes to great lengths to not reveal the outcome of any episode in any way.

--
Scott Robinson[/quote]

VERY interesting recap, Scott.  Thanks for sharing the link with us.  :- )

cmjb13

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2003, 06:39:17 AM »
John Moschitta was the \"fast talker\" in the Federal Express commercials of the 1980s

I actually remember him more from the Micro Machines commercials.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

zachhoran

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2003, 08:37:12 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 12:06 AM\'] . John Moschitta was the "fast talker" in the Federal Express commercials of the 1980s, it's a feat that landed him in the Guiness Book of Records at the time. He has been heard more recently on some toy spots.

[/quote]
 Moschitta does have game show experience, doing a week of $25K Pyramid, a week of $100K Pyramid, and a week of Win Lose or Draw, and I think a week of MGHS hour as well. Moschitta should have more of a Kenny Williams feel to him than Shadoe or Jeffrey does, at least in the fastness factor.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2003, 09:41:47 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 05:39 AM\']
John Moschitta was the \"fast talker\" in the Federal Express commercials of the 1980s

I actually remember him more from the Micro Machines commercials. [/quote]
I remember those, and I've also seen him on PBS's Square One TV in the late-80s and on WLoD, as Zach mentioned.

So will these changes save the show?  I hate to say this, but like Frasier and Friends, I foresee this being the farewell season.  An entertainment tabloid costs much less to make than a celebrity-oriented game show, even with the lower stakes.  King World hasn't closed the door on survival past next season, but it's all up to Joe Zapper.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2003, 09:43:16 AM by GS Warehouse »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2003, 10:01:31 AM »
I hate to say this, but like Frasier and Friends, I foresee this being the farewell season.

Since the show's come back several times, this is interesting to think about.  If this upcoming season will be the show's last, do you think it will come back again in the future, and if so how long in the future might we have to wait?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2003, 10:03:21 AM »
At some point it will, it will be five or so years later I guess. Maybe Tom B. would even come back as host, hard to tell at this point.

cmjb13

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2003, 10:25:55 AM »
The show has known for a while that the show may end after this season.

That's sad. Knowing it's coming.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2003, 10:27:08 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

bricon

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2003, 10:59:32 AM »
The show has known for a while that the show may end after this season.

That's sad. Knowing it's coming.

Gee, if anyone has seen a cancellation notice yet, I'd like to see them bend some spoons or pick next week's lotto winners.

cmjb13

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2003, 11:40:44 AM »
The key word is \"may\".

I'd like to see it continue.