Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: H2 Changes, for its last season  (Read 20114 times)

AndyG

H2 Changes, for its last season
« on: August 04, 2003, 05:59:55 PM »
Some sources have reported from the tapings of H2's last season, and there are some rule changes. First, the game is played in a best two out of three format, instead of the game jackpot's of $1000, $1000, $2000, and $4000. And, the Bonus Round prizes are switched around, with the champ playing for a Trip, then Cash, and finally a Car. Also, shows can have more than one bonus round, which could make some games more exciting. Sounds pretty cool to me.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 06:04:36 PM »
Does that mean it'll straddle?

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 06:06:30 PM »
[quote name=\'AndyG\' date=\'Aug 4 2003, 04:59 PM\']Some sources have reported from the tapings of H2's last season, and there are some rule changes. First, the game is played in a best two out of three format, instead of the game jackpot's of $1000, $1000, $2000, and $4000. And, the Bonus Round prizes are switched around, with the champ playing for a Trip, then Cash, and finally a Car. Also, shows can have more than one bonus round, which could make some games more exciting. Sounds pretty cool to me.[/quote]
I don't mind the fact that the show will now straddle, if this is indeed true. The biggest problem I see is that H2 barely fits in two rounds nowadays, let alone three FULL matches. Unless the \"behind the squares\" and (unnecessary) witty banter is dropped, 2/3 matches sound like they'll be rare, unless we revert to the pace of the 98-99 season, where three or four games were feasible IIRC.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2003, 06:10:40 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 06:09:15 PM »
I still say that the producers realize their audience is more interested in the celebrities and the witty banter than they are in whether that guy or this girl wins more games of tic-tac-toe.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 07:49:20 PM »
This sounds pretty damn good, you know. We've been talking about Squares going to a straddled format since at least the second season of this version, and now it does.
Any word on how the Secret Squares will work or on how long a player can stay on as champion?

SplitSecond

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2003, 08:05:20 PM »
Secret Square games are now the second game of each match; therefore, there can be more than one Secret Square game on a given show.  However, the Secret Square prizes no longer roll over.

Players may stay on for a maximum of five matches.

Based on the shows I saw, they tended to get through more than one match in a given show, but not two full matches.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2003, 08:10:17 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 12:05 AM\'] Secret Square games are now the second game of each match; therefore, there can be more than one Secret Square game on a given show.  However, the Secret Square prizes no longer roll over.

Based on the shows I saw, they tended to get through more than one match in a given show, but not two full matches. [/quote]
 In other words, it took them five seasons to get to where WE'VE been saying they should have been all along.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2003, 08:27:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 4 2003, 07:10 PM\'] [quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 12:05 AM\'] Secret Square games are now the second game of each match; therefore, there can be more than one Secret Square game on a given show.  However, the Secret Square prizes no longer roll over.

Based on the shows I saw, they tended to get through more than one match in a given show, but not two full matches. [/quote]
In other words, it took them five seasons to get to where WE'VE been saying they should have been all along. [/quote]
 I say, good. The \"play 'til time runs out\" rule only belonged on the weekly syndie Marshall version and MG/HS, IMO.

Don Howard

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2003, 08:35:00 PM »
Didn't I suggest this very thing close to a year ago? Hallelujah!!

zachhoran

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2003, 08:43:20 PM »
Other than the lack of Secret Square rollover(probably done for budget reasons), the changes seem to be good.

Starkman

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2003, 09:28:12 PM »
Hmmm, i havent watched much bergeron squares since whoopi left mainly because it conflicts with The other merv griffin shows in NY and well i didnt like the idea of a rotating center square.

I am NOT a big fan of secret square rollover since it often ends up with a major case of mo' money syndrome (\"thats not the secret square but you can take it and win or look for the prizes\") so im kinda glad to see it go.

I think going back to gameplay will help this show, A major fault of this version of squares was that it went *too* much to the stars causing screen hogging and a talk show atomsphere, thats fine for something like match game but one of the charms of squares is that both the wit and wisdom could be shown by the celebs...some of that got lost over time. Although i must say it was much better than the tomfoolery on davidson squares.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2003, 09:40:37 PM »
On Saturday, after returning from the first taping day, I wrote up a detailed account of my first trip to watch Hollywood Squares. I was going to post it on this board in the Spoilers section (with three replies to myself to get it all in), but since this thread already exists, I'll just put up a web link:

http://www.geocities.com/mstiescott/hs080203.html

Reveals the changes to the rules, but goes to great lengths to not reveal the outcome of any episode in any way.

--
Scott Robinson

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2003, 09:46:50 PM »
John Moshcitta Jr is the new announcer? I guess they liked his work on the Scrabble pilot.

J.R.

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2003, 10:02:22 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Aug 4 2003, 08:46 PM\'] John Moshcitta Jr is the new announcer? I guess they liked his work on the Scrabble pilot. [/quote]
 I thought Rooooooooooood RODDY was the announcer on the Scrabble Pilot ?(Unless you mean the \"new\" one thats in the works).

This 2-to-3 format, wasn't that done on the 1981 Vegas Season ?

Davidson HS's game were self-contained. The scoring format was carried over into Bergerons (And it was the exact same amounts for the first couple months as I recall, except leftover squares were $250, not $200)
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2003, 10:08:15 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Aug 4 2003, 09:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Aug 4 2003, 08:46 PM\'] John Moshcitta Jr is the new announcer? I guess they liked his work on the Scrabble pilot. [/quote]
I thought Rooooooooooood RODDY was the announcer on the Scrabble Pilot ?(Unless you mean the "new" one thats in the works).

This 2-to-3 format, wasn't that done on the 1981 Vegas Season ?

Davidson HS's game were self-contained. The scoring format was carried over into Bergerons (And it was the exact same amounts for the first couple months as I recall, except leftover squares were $250, not $200)
-Joe R. [/quote]
 I meant the new one.

IIRC, the Vegas eps had self-contained games where each game was worth one of your symbol [X or O] and the person with the most wins at the end won. The whole season was a tournament leading up to the $100,000 finals at the end.