Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Dating Game" Music Cues Back On CD!  (Read 4942 times)

TimK2003

"Dating Game" Music Cues Back On CD!
« on: April 19, 2005, 07:52:55 PM »
For those of you who like to get your Game Show Themes and Music Cues in pristine condition, check out your local record/CD shop.

The Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Album, "Whipped Cream & Other Delights" has finally been reissued on CD here in the States as of today 4/19 in honor of it's 40th Anniversary.

This CD contains a pair of regular music cues used on the original "Dating Game":  "Lollipops & Roses" and "Whipped Cream" -- both cues were used to introduce bachelors & bachelorettes.  And considering how many different music cues that were used on TDG for prizes, photos of past dates and commercial lead-ins, there could've been one or two other songs on this album that made it to air at one time or another.

Anyhoo, as part of this reissue, you also get a small poster of the original album cover, which even 40 years later is well....um...looking as good as ever (the model, Dolores Erikson is now 65 & living in Washington).

The Dating Game's main theme "Spanish Flea" is not on this album (I believe it was on the TJB's "South Of The Border" album -- also due to be reissued in the not too distant future), but I would still recommend this album for those who collect game show music.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 07:54:25 PM by TimK2003 »

ChuckNet

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 09:15:56 PM »
The Dating Game's main theme "Spanish Flea" is not on this album

Actually, Spanish Flea was used as the intro in those rare games that had a bachelorasking the Qs of 3 bachelorettes...the aforementioned Lollipops and Roses was actually used as Jim described the contestant's chosen date before segueing into a Barris-composed cue, Boston Bust-Out.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

johnnyd1788

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 09:45:20 PM »
Semi-off topic of The Dating Game, but I remember just catching the end of Herb's song "TKO" on time on my Sirius radio. It just spawned my interest and never found out. But was that used as the theme to the game show of the same name?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 09:45:42 PM by johnnyd1788 »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 08:58:59 AM »
The Dating Game's main theme "Spanish Flea" is not on this album (I believe it was on the TJB's "South Of The Border" album -- also due to be reissued in the not too distant future), but I would still recommend this album for those who collect game show music.

"The Dating Game's" main theme was on an album and single in the '60s, but not credited to Herb Alpert.  The main one was done by Mariachi Brass, but I think there was more than one version of it available.  I don't know if it's been re-released on CD or not.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

GSWitch

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 02:47:47 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Apr 19 2005, 06:52 PM\']The Dating Game's main theme "Spanish Flea" is not on this album (I believe it was on the TJB's "South Of The Border" album -- also due to be reissued in the not too distant future), but I would still recommend this album for those who collect game show music.
[snapback]82535[/snapback]
[/quote]

No, it was on the "Going Places" album.  One album after "Whipped Cream & Other Delights".

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 02:52:36 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Apr 20 2005, 02:47 PM\'][quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Apr 19 2005, 06:52 PM\']The Dating Game's main theme "Spanish Flea" is not on this album (I believe it was on the TJB's "South Of The Border" album -- also due to be reissued in the not too distant future), but I would still recommend this album for those who collect game show music.
[/quote]

No, it was on the "Going Places" album.  One album after "Whipped Cream & Other Delights".
[snapback]82661[/snapback]
[/quote]

You just had to say something, didn't you.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

GSWitch

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 02:59:31 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Apr 20 2005, 01:52 PM\'][quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Apr 20 2005, 02:47 PM\'][quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Apr 19 2005, 06:52 PM\']The Dating Game's main theme "Spanish Flea" is not on this album (I believe it was on the TJB's "South Of The Border" album -- also due to be reissued in the not too distant future), but I would still recommend this album for those who collect game show music.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[snapback]82664[/snapback]
[/quote]

I got all the LPs of Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass, I should know!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 03:09:23 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Apr 20 2005, 02:59 PM\']I got all the LPs of Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass, I should know!
[snapback]82666[/snapback]
[/quote]

I got $8 in my wallet right now, but you don't see me bragging about that.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

uncamark

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 04:31:14 PM »
Also, for most of the network era of "TDG," the segue out of "Lollipops and Roses" was to a jazz organ/guitar piece.  I'd say Jimmy Smith, but it was very likely any of those other guys who were playing back then.  Don't know the title, unfortunately.

aaron sica

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 05:54:40 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Apr 20 2005, 02:52 PM\']
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Apr 20 2005, 02:47 PM\'][quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Apr 19 2005, 06:52 PM\']
[/quote]

[snapback]82664[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hey now.....Why the flame on GSWitch? All he was trying to do was correct which album it was on...

ChuckNet

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 10:02:58 PM »
Also, for most of the network era of "TDG," the segue out of "Lollipops and Roses" was to a jazz organ/guitar piece. I'd say Jimmy Smith, but it was very likely any of those other guys who were playing back then. Don't know the title, unfortunately.

Would that be Boston Bust-Out, which I mentioned earlier in the thread? I also know that for a time, they were segueing from L&R into Muzak versions of popular songs, much like those played going to commercial before the bachelor(ette) made his/her choice.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 02:06:26 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Apr 20 2005, 01:52 PM\']You just had to say something, didn't you.
[/quote]
As bad as I can be with flames, I must say this was somewhat uncalled for. You didn't have to say anything either, IMO.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2005, 04:31:11 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Apr 20 2005, 09:02 PM\']
Also, for most of the network era of "TDG," the segue out of "Lollipops and Roses" was to a jazz organ/guitar piece. I'd say Jimmy Smith, but it was very likely any of those other guys who were playing back then. Don't know the title, unfortunately.

Would that be Boston Bust-Out, which I mentioned earlier in the thread? I also know that for a time, they were segueing from L&R into Muzak versions of popular songs, much like those played going to commercial before the bachelor(ette) made his/her choice.
[snapback]82705[/snapback]
[/quote]

Probably was--on a lonnnnngg page from Dusty Groove America, a Chicago-based used record seller (after a Google search), I found this:

Jimmy McGriff -- Bag Full Of Soul . . . LP . . . $6.99  (Item: 15144)
United Artists, 1966 (Gatefold) Condition: Very Good     View Cart
Easy to pass up because of the inconspicuous look of the cover and feel of the title, but a nice batch of trio cuts with Thornel Schwartz on guitar and Willy Jenkins on drums. McGriff wrote a lot of the material, and while it's not totally funky, like his late 60's stuff, it's also got a nice tight groove, like his Sue albums. Tracks include "Boston Bust Out", "Red River Blues", "On The Way Home", and "D.B. Blues (parts 1 & 2)". (Cover has ringwear.)

The combination of Jimmy McGriff and the release date (about the time that "TDG" started using recorded cues) makes me believe that you're right (I don't know about it being a Barris composition, though).  I'm going to put the URL up of the page because right now Dusty Groove has in stock a copy of Quincy Jones' "You Got It Bad Girl" (with the "NYSI" theme "Chump Change") and that album is considered hard-to-find (and not on domestic CD):

http://www.dustygroove.com/jazzlp3.htm

It will take some scrolling to find both albums.