Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: B&W Overnight Questions  (Read 4008 times)

gamed121683

B&W Overnight Questions
« on: April 19, 2005, 05:05:49 PM »
I have been taping this late night hour block A LOT lately and watching these old shows from yesteryear has left me with a couple of questions that are well eduacted group (I think) can answer.

1) How come many people in this group think that "WGO?" was a terrible show?

2) How many episodes did "What's Going On?" last?

3) How many episodes did "Choose Up Sides" last?

4) How many episodes did "TNTS" last? Were there any skipped when they aired on GSN not too long ago?

5) A couple of months ago, GSN ran some episodes of "Winner Take All." What I want to know is by any chance would anyone here know the airdate of an Bill Cullen hosted episode they aired where the first 2 contestants are Ellen Sparks and Kaye Hanaforth. Bill says at the top that it's a Thursday show. Any guesses?

uncamark

B&W Overnight Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 05:51:28 PM »
[quote name=\'gamed121683\' date=\'Apr 19 2005, 04:05 PM\']I have been taping this late night hour block A LOT lately and watching these old shows from yesteryear has left me with a couple of questions that are well eduacted group (I think) can answer.

1) How come many people in this group think that "WGO?" was a terrible show?

2) How many episodes did "What's Going On?" last?

3) How many episodes did "Choose Up Sides" last?

4) How many episodes did "TNTS" last? Were there any skipped when they aired on GSN not too long ago?

5) A couple of months ago, GSN ran some episodes of "Winner Take All." What I want to know is by any chance would anyone here know the airdate of an Bill Cullen hosted episode they aired where the first 2 contestants are Ellen Sparks and Kaye Hanaforth. Bill says at the top that it's a Thursday show. Any guesses?
[snapback]82502[/snapback]
[/quote]

1.  Just watch it.  :)

2.  Six.

3.  I believe it ran for a couple of years off and on.  There are only just a few kinescopes extant, probably because G-T probably used them to try to round up sponsors (the shows looked like they were unsponsored, IIRC).

4.  Four years worth, once a week continuously.  I believe the first year of the show is lost.

5.  Don't know.

Winkfan

B&W Overnight Questions
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 08:21:21 PM »
3.  I believe it ran for a couple of years off and on.  There are only just a few kinescopes extant, probably because G-T probably used them to try to round up sponsors (the shows looked like they were unsponsored, IIRC).

Yeah. I've heard it may have been 'lack of sponsorship' that destroyed any chances of Choose Up Sides having a longer run than it did.

Gee, an hour and a half of Geno beginning on Friday. CAN YOU TAKE IT? But then again, we already had that when they were running his appearences on The Name's the Same. back-to-back with the MG hour.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Gina Hecht of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:37:18 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Jimmy Owen

B&W Overnight Questions
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 10:07:11 PM »
According to Alex McNeil's book "Total Television." CUS began in 1953 as a local show hosted by Dean Miller (of "December Bride" fame.)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 10:09:24 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

gamed121683

B&W Overnight Questions
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 01:54:30 PM »
About "WGO?", I just noticed on GSN's online schedule that they are only going to air 4 episodes of "What's Going On?" One person here says that it only ran 6 shows. GSN says four and I read in some TV encylopedia type book this morning that it only ran 5 weeks (shows). So, with three sources given me 3 different answers I must know...who's right.

BTW, I did finally get around to seeing "WGO?" and add one more vote to those who thought that it was an awful show. :-)

Tim L

B&W Overnight Questions
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 02:21:51 PM »
[quote name=\'gamed121683\' date=\'Apr 20 2005, 12:54 PM\']About "WGO?", I just noticed on GSN's online schedule that they are only going to air 4 episodes of "What's Going On?" One person here says that it only ran 6 shows. GSN says four and I read in some TV encylopedia type book this morning that it only ran 5 weeks (shows). So, with three sources given me 3 different answers I must know...who's right.

BTW, I did finally get around to seeing "WGO?" and add one more vote to those who thought that it was an awful show. :-)
[snapback]82654[/snapback]
[/quote]

The original Broadcast dates for What's Going On? are Sunday nights November 28-December 26, 1954 on ABC, which means that it was canceled after 5 airings..GSN is said to have 4 of these episodes with either the first or last episode being "lost"

uncamark

B&W Overnight Questions
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 04:49:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Tim L\' date=\'Apr 20 2005, 01:21 PM\'][quote name=\'gamed121683\' date=\'Apr 20 2005, 12:54 PM\']About "WGO?", I just noticed on GSN's online schedule that they are only going to air 4 episodes of "What's Going On?" One person here says that it only ran 6 shows. GSN says four and I read in some TV encylopedia type book this morning that it only ran 5 weeks (shows). So, with three sources given me 3 different answers I must know...who's right.

[snapback]82654[/snapback]
[/quote]

The original Broadcast dates for What's Going On? are Sunday nights November 28-December 26, 1954 on ABC, which means that it was canceled after 5 airings..GSN is said to have 4 of these episodes with either the first or last episode being "lost"
[snapback]82656[/snapback]
[/quote]

Gotta be the last one, because the one ep GSN ran as a Game of the Week was identified positively by Bowman as the first one.  Of course, considering how bad a host he was...

calliaume

B&W Overnight Questions
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 09:06:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Tim L\' date=\'Apr 20 2005, 01:21 PM\']The original Broadcast dates for What's Going On? are Sunday nights November 28-December 26, 1954 on ABC, which means that it was canceled after 5 airings..GSN is said to have 4 of these episodes with either the first or last episode being "lost"
[snapback]82656[/snapback]
[/quote]
Possibly the episode that Franklin Heller recalled in the book The Box, about early TV.  Goodson gave Bowman the indication to stretch because they'd run out of material, and Bowman promptly went back on camera and said, "Well, that's all the time we have.  Good night!"
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 09:15:33 PM by calliaume »