Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Acquires More 'Millionaire"  (Read 5141 times)

MikeGameShowFan

GSN Acquires More 'Millionaire"
« on: April 18, 2005, 04:46:27 PM »
GSN Renews and Expands Its 'WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE' Inventory and Acquires 'SUPER MILLIONAIRE' Series

(Entire press release deleted; it can be found here.  Apologies for my more blunt comment from before; I'm still mystified as to how "don't post entire articles" is the one rule people seem to skip over more than any other.  -DZ)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 06:19:31 PM by dzinkin »

Fedya

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 10:49:27 PM »
I can understand that press releases might be copyrighted material and that the mods don't want to take the risk of running afoul of copyright laws, but I was always under the impression that the point of a press release was to get it reprinted in as many different fora as possible.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 11:24:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Apr 18 2005, 07:49 PM\']I can understand that press releases might be copyrighted material and that the mods don't want to take the risk of running afoul of copyright laws, but I was always under the impression that the point of a press release was to get it reprinted in as many different fora as possible.
[snapback]82419[/snapback]
[/quote]
While, yes, it's generally accepted that a press release can be quoted from with impunity, I would imagine if that started, then there will be all kinds of confusion from, shall we say, the less clueful among us who cannot discern the differences between quoting from a press release and quoting from a copyrighted article. It's easier from a management standpoint to make the entirely reasonable request to provide links instead across the board.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 11:25:12 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 11:37:52 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 18 2005, 11:24 PM\'][quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Apr 18 2005, 07:49 PM\']I can understand that press releases might be copyrighted material and that the mods don't want to take the risk of running afoul of copyright laws, but I was always under the impression that the point of a press release was to get it reprinted in as many different fora as possible.
[snapback]82419[/snapback]
[/quote]
While, yes, it's generally accepted that a press release can be quoted from with impunity, I would imagine if that started, then there will be all kinds of confusion from, shall we say, the less clueful among us who cannot discern the differences between quoting from a press release and quoting from a copyrighted article. It's easier from a management standpoint to make the entirely reasonable request to provide links instead across the board.
[snapback]82425[/snapback]
[/quote]
The rule was in place before I became a moderator, so I'll let Matt and/or Chris C. speak to why exactly it was instituted initially -- but at least from my standpoint, yes, it's easier to have that rule in place across the board.  Bandwidth is the other reason.

A link is generally the best way to go about posting such things; we also allow a very brief excerpt or a summary, either with the link or (if the article is from, say, a paid-subscription-only site) in lieu of a link.  Citations are always required; obviously if you provide a link, we'll know the source, but in any event it should be clear where the story originated.  (Hint: the Bowling Buddy Gazette is not a reputable source. ;-)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 11:41:15 PM by dzinkin »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 03:42:51 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Apr 18 2005, 10:37 PM\'](Hint: the Bowling Buddy Gazette is not a reputable source. ;-)
[/quote]
Damn, and I just sent in my renewal card.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

The Pyramids

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 06:11:36 PM »
That's a lot of 'new' shows. Long overdue.

I wonder if GSN will run some kind of 'New to  GSN episode of 'Millionaire'' line on the bumpers, or a more misleading 'never seen episode of 'Millionaire' on GSN'.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 06:12:23 PM by PaulD »

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 06:12:34 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Apr 19 2005, 06:11 PM\']That's a lot of 'new' shows. Long overdue.

I wonder if GSN will run some kind of 'New to  GSN episode of Millionaire' line on the bumpers, or a more misleading 'never seen episode of 'Millionaire' on GSN'.
[snapback]82516[/snapback]
[/quote]

Probably not...I would imagine they'll just play them. I could be wrong, though.

zachhoran

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 06:44:07 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeGameShowFan\' date=\'Apr 18 2005, 03:46 PM\']GSN Renews and Expands Its 'WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE' Inventory and Acquires 'SUPER MILLIONAIRE' Series

[snapback]82363[/snapback]
[/quote]

Will this now give GSN the entire ABC WWTBAM series?

The Pyramids

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 06:52:44 PM »
These too are the shows that would be followed a few days later w/ lines like 'Millionaire finsihed in third place Sunday behind...' or 'lowest rating ever for new episode, and a fouth place finish in 18 - 35's' in the papers.

Taken on their own merits though I imagine there are a lot of good shows from '01-'02 to come.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 06:53:07 PM by PaulD »

Timsterino

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 06:31:28 AM »
[quote name=\'MikeGameShowFan\' date=\'Apr 18 2005, 04:46 PM\']GSN Renews and Expands Its 'WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE' Inventory and Acquires 'SUPER MILLIONAIRE' Series

(Entire press release deleted; it can be found here.  Apologies for my more blunt comment from before; I'm still mystified as to how "don't post entire articles" is the one rule people seem to skip over more than any other.  -DZ)
[/quote]

Thanks for the news. Wow, I am actually going to see my show on GSN. Cool.

Tim (Happy to get a better copy of his show)

zachhoran

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 07:57:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Apr 20 2005, 05:31 AM\'][quote name=\'MikeGameShowFan\' date=\'Apr 18 2005, 04:46 PM\']GSN Renews and Expands Its 'WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE' Inventory and Acquires 'SUPER MILLIONAIRE' Series

(Entire press release deleted; it can be found here.  Apologies for my more blunt comment from before; I'm still mystified as to how "don't post entire articles" is the one rule people seem to skip over more than any other.  -DZ)
[/quote]

Thanks for the news. Wow, I am actually going to see my show on GSN. Cool.

Tim (Happy to get a better copy of his show)
[snapback]82617[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wonder if they've picked up the AUgust 1999 shows, so Gundy and Schutterley and those folks can see their shows.