Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN put BACK ___ on the air  (Read 9884 times)

saussage

GSN put BACK ___ on the air
« on: April 10, 2005, 06:54:50 PM »
Now let's be realists about this. You're in charge of GSN. You have a pile of tapes in the vault. You're not too sure what to put on. Knowing your limits as to what GSN currently has rights to, give me a 2 hour block that you'd like to put on (and where on the time slot you'd put it).

As for me, here's what I would do:

6PM: Match Game PM
6:30PM: As Seen on (don't flame me for this although many of you will)
7PM: Body Language
7:30PM: Joker's Wild

As for Match Game PM, it was always there on the schedule not that long ago and I don't think there were any compaints.

"As Seen on" would only be there if there were new eps with new content with the "Vault Guys". Otherwise, I'd put on Beat the Clock with Monty Hall (that was last seen on a thanksgiving special or something so friggin long ago that I honestly don't remember.)

Body Language just because it's been a while. I would've put on Hot Potato but I don't want that to run into the ground again like they did 2 years ago (so fresh in my head).

Joker's Wild needs to be on prime time again. Since I gave a limit of a 2 hour block, I'd put it there. If I didn't, it would be on 9PM or the old 11:30PM slot.

Wanna make this thread longer than that boring one with the network gfx + scrolls?
Let's do it then!

btw: I just saw a funny after writing this... NYSI? :) :) Puns away :) Maybe it was just me.
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 08:12:14 PM »
Since so many shows exist only in clips, I would propose a show called "The History of Game Shows."  Each day a different year would be spotlighted (1975 might be a two-parter) through clips and stills.  The set would be one of those network schedule boards you would see in magazine interviews with TV programmers. If we start with 1950 we'd have a minimum of 55 episodes.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 09:19:45 PM »
Joker's Wild needs to be on prime time again

...if and only if the programmers wish to see the ratings tank.

An equally effective alternative would be my proposal of
The Game Game / Play the Percentages Hour.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 09:22:16 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

saussage

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 09:45:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 08:19 PM\']
Joker's Wild needs to be on prime time again

...if and only if the programmers wish to see the ratings tank.

Good job.

--Jamie
[snapback]81435[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ouch. Well, at least use the later run shows. I'm sure it would fair better than the archives that GSN found a while back that were presumed lost. I'll rub my jacket and see what happens :)

I was unaware that TJW was bad for ratings. I'm sure Camouflage wouldn't fair better.

If that's no good, then I'll think of what we can put in that slot... Lingo (if they wind up doing a season 4). Other than that, how about WOF (older eps from mid to late 80's would be best). I like people who can collect 8 free spins and not smart enough to use them :)

If anyone thlks about "Naturally Stoned", I'll throw cottage cheese at them :)

ttyl

Saussage
WOF: Mustard-filled Chocolate eclairs. Mmmmm good :)

xibit777

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 10:17:49 PM »
I doubt TJW had terrible ratings.  Probably more like the B&E contract ran out and GSN didn't feel like paying big bucks to renew it.

I mean how can you have a "Game Show Network" (and yes this is what it was called when these shows were removed) without 2 of the biggest game shows of all time.  TTD and TJW.   Only because they were too expensive to lease.

As for primetime, I don't think any classics will ever be making their way back there except on special weekend blocks like Saturday night classics.   They've said time and time again the demos are what count in primetime.   Until they get away from this theory, we won't ever see a classic on weekday primetime again.  And that's fine with me because that's what VCR's and Tivo's are for.  There are way more than enough good classics now from 9am to 5pm.  So record some of them and watch them in primetime.

Funny because just a couple weeks ago, the only classics that were good enough for me to watch on GSN weekdays were MG, and the Feud hour.  Now the schedule is packed with good classics.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 10:20:50 PM by xibit777 »

The Pyramids

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 10:24:47 PM »
[quote name=\'xibit777\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 09:17 PM\']

Funny because just a couple weeks ago, the only classics that were good enough for me to watch on GSN weekdays were MG, and the Feud hour.  Now the schedule is packed with good classics.
[snapback]81443[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, it is strange.

I don't care about seeing 'Body Language' or any Barry & Enright show. 'Wheel of Fortune' should be on. But mainly I'd add Tom Bergeron the the 'Men of GSN' block. Take out a 'Love Connection.'

saussage

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 10:30:06 PM »
[quote name=\'xibit777\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 09:17 PM\']As for primetime, I don't think any classics will ever be making their way back there except on special weekend blocks like Saturday night classics.   They've said time and time again the demos are what count in primetime.   Until they get away from this theory, we won't ever see a classic on weekday primetime again.
[snapback]81443[/snapback]
[/quote]

As it currently states, I agree. But this is also a 2 hour block that you could put anywhere; primetime or whenever... it's your choice.

As far as classics not good enough for primetime, I'm sure everyone agrees that there are plenty of classics that could stand up by themselves comparing to some of GSN's original content.

Gimme a 2 hour time block of your choice. I could always cut and paste the "Dark Period" schedule block to stur up a storm. Juvenile Jury anyone? :)

saussage

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 10:36:35 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 05:54 PM\']Now let's be realists about this.

As for me, here's what I would do:

6PM: Match Game PM
6:30PM: As Seen on (don't flame me for this although many of you will)
[snapback]81421[/snapback]
[/quote]

The realist side of me is as what GSN could air without any issues. Treasure Hunt and the Gong Show may cause clearance issues so I don't know if they could be easily added to the schedule. As for what plans GSN has, I'm no mindreader but GSN wants to air original programming for prime time and then has "Game show saturday night" all over again. What gives? Is this a test to compare ratings to see what fairs better?

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 11:22:22 PM »
Yes I'd like to see Joker & Tic Tac Dough back too, but at 7PM? No.

Maybe when a couple of the current classics during the day complete their cycles, they'll rotate them.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 11:24:26 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 11:24:49 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 05:54 PM\']6:30PM: As Seen on (don't flame me for this although many of you will)
[/quote]
Unless you made new ones, probably not, as I believe several episodes had Price clips.  Wow. 2000 posts. Probably 1999 too many.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 03:15:27 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

zachhoran

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 08:42:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 10:22 PM\']Yes I'd like to see Joker & Tic Tac Dough back too, but at 7PM? No.

Maybe when a couple of the current classics during the day complete their cycles, they'll rotate them.

--Jamie
[snapback]81457[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sony's deal with Liberty Digital keeps them from airing Joker's and Tic Tac at this point, no? They only can air certain stuff at this point, correct? This is why we see the same 1985-86 season of Newlywed, the 2001-02 season of Squares, and the 1997-98 season of Jeopardy! and no other seasons for the past three years.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 09:20:40 AM »
I doubt TJW had terrible ratings. Probably more like the B&E contract ran out and GSN didn't feel like paying big bucks to renew it.

I mean how can you have a "Game Show Network" (and yes this is what it was called when these shows were removed) without 2 of the biggest game shows of all time. TTD and TJW. Only because they were too expensive to lease.

Actually, Sony owns the Barry-Enright library outright, so the contract running out wouldn't be an issue.  The part about being too expensive to lease is probably more likely.  Ever since Liberty Digital bought 50% of the network, GSN has to negotiate any series it wants to air.  It's (unfortunatly) probably easier and cheaper for them to keep the same season of "Newlywed Game" than it is to do a new deal for "Joker's Wild".  

Do you think Liberty Digital will ever sell their interest back to Sony?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

FeudDude

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 02:11:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Apr 11 2005, 08:20 AM\']]Do you think Liberty Digital will ever sell their interest back to Sony?
[snapback]81488[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think if anything, they'd sell their half to another company.  Hey, maybe they'll sell it to NBC-Universal and then we can get Concentration! (Yeah, I know, keep dreaming.)

As for GSN's current lineup, I think it's very good the way it is and have no reason to complain.  However, here are the changes I'd make if I could:

- In the daytime, I'd replace the 9 am Match Game with something else from the G-T library - maybe Body Language or the syndie What's My Line - and I'd replace one of the Love Connection airings with Tattletales.

- In the afternoon and early evening, I'd replace the 3 pm airing of Lingo with Match Game 73. At the 5 pm hour I'd have Street Smarts and Russian Roulette instead of Millionaire, and I'd replace the 6:30 pm WBSM with Lingo.  I know some people are going to say that this will cause a ratings drop, but I really think that something should be done about the Millionaire and WBSM rerun abuse.

- In late nights, I'd replace the 1:30 am Street Smarts with MG Syndie on weekdays and MGPM on weekends, and then expand B&W Overnight to two hours starting at 2 am.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 02:11:53 PM by FeudDude »

saussage

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 10:20:40 PM »
[quote name=\'FeudDude\' date=\'Apr 11 2005, 01:11 PM\']- In the daytime, I'd replace the 9 am Match Game with something else from the G-T library - maybe Body Language or the syndie What's My Line - and I'd replace one of the Love Connection airings with Tattletales.

- In the afternoon and early evening, I'd replace the 3 pm airing of Lingo with Match Game 73. At the 5 pm hour I'd have Street Smarts and Russian Roulette instead of Millionaire, and I'd replace the 6:30 pm WBSM with Lingo.  I know some people are going to say that this will cause a ratings drop, but I really think that something should be done about the Millionaire and WBSM rerun abuse.
[snapback]81506[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah... Match Game at 9AM is too early for me. WML would complement TTTT quite nicely, otherwise, Perry's Card Sharks would work instead of only weekend airings.

As well, Millionaire tapes are problably getting worn by now. I agree change is needed there but like what? I guess almost any two 1/2 hour G-T shows would work for a change of pace for that hour block.

AH3RD

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2005, 02:23:42 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 05:54 PM\']Joker's Wild needs to be on prime time again. Since I gave a limit of a 2 hour block, I'd put it there. If I didn't, it would be on 9PM or the old 11:30PM slot.
[/quote]

I'd give it a 60-minute slot, to allow showings of both the CBS and syndie editions of TJW.

My 300th post! Snap me down! :)
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine