Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Idea to make GSN some extra cash.  (Read 4532 times)

Jimmy Owen

Idea to make GSN some extra cash.
« on: April 08, 2005, 04:56:54 PM »
Has GSN investigated the possibility of selling promotional consideration spots to replace the originals at the end of its shows?  Get a Randy West or Johnny Gilbert to voice them using the music from each show (presuming access).  That way they could pick up a little extra coin and satisfy the theme afficionados.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

sshuffield70

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 06:12:55 PM »
I'd actually posted that some time ago (probably back in the Stone Age) at that other board.  Obviously, it hadn't occurred to them.

FeudDude

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 06:36:42 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Apr 8 2005, 05:12 PM\']I'd actually posted that some time ago (probably back in the Stone Age) at that other board.  Obviously, it hadn't occurred to them.
[snapback]81081[/snapback]
[/quote]

It would indeed be a great idea, but I really can't see GSN making an effort to "satisfy the theme afficionados".  We can only keep dreaming.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 11:44:18 PM by FeudDude »

SplitSecond

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 11:27:43 PM »
The production costs associated with producing these custom spots - voiceover, editing, etc. - would seriously eat into whatever money the network could gain from selling these spots.  Plus, if the themes from the shows these spots are associated with are going to be used, the network must license the music as well.

Given the option of going through all this trouble for no apparent benefit, or running a network promo that could be run in many other spots throughout the day, would you lay out the money?

Randy says yes, GSN says no.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 11:25:16 AM »
Don't think so.  How about this: four commercials playing at the same time in 4-way split screen.  This way, GSN makes four times the money.  Of course, when that thought appeared in my head it included a growing message in the center of that screen saying "BUY THEM ALL NOW!!!!"  I think I need another cup of coffee.

aaron sica

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 11:45:37 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 11:25 AM\']Don't think so.  How about this: four commercials playing at the same time in 4-way split screen.  This way, GSN makes four times the money.  Of course, when that thought appeared in my head it included a growing message in the center of that screen saying "BUY THEM ALL NOW!!!!"  I think I need another cup of coffee.
[snapback]81167[/snapback]
[/quote]

You gave me another idea....

For those people who can't get enough of Match Game.......4-way split screen with '70s orange set in the left top, '70s blue set in the right top, '70s blue set syndie in the left bottom, MG90 in the right bottom.

Imagine the possibilities! Match-Ups! Star Wheel spinning! Get Ready to match the stars! All at the same time!!!!

dzinkin

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 11:51:23 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 11:45 AM\']You gave me another idea....

For those people who can't get enough of Match Game.......4-way split screen with '70s orange set in the left top, '70s blue set in the right top, '70s blue set syndie in the left bottom, MG90 in the right bottom.

Imagine the possibilities! Match-Ups! Star Wheel spinning! Get Ready to match the stars! All at the same time!!!!
[snapback]81172[/snapback]
[/quote]
DirecTV is doing something similar with its NewsMix, SportsMix and KidsMix channels -- each channel shows the video from six other channels on one screen.  I don't see a GameMix channel as any more useful... and with our luck they'd get Patrick Wayne to do the commentary. :-)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 11:51:44 AM by dzinkin »

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 05:50:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Apr 8 2005, 03:56 PM\']Has GSN investigated the possibility of selling promotional consideration spots to replace the originals at the end of its shows?  Get a Randy West or Johnny Gilbert to voice them using the music from each show (presuming access).  That way they could pick up a little extra coin and satisfy the theme afficionados.
[snapback]81070[/snapback]
[/quote]

Of course, we forget one thing--the fee plugs are now almost all pre-produced spots.  Just one annoyance traded for another.