Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The waning Family Feud...  (Read 14050 times)

trainman

The waning Family Feud...
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2005, 10:21:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 01:02 PM\']I must admit I'm surprised it wasn't carried by the Philadelphia ABC affiliate.  Didn't someone post once that usually stations in the largest and smallest cities woud air virtually all of the network's shows - and stations in the "medium" cities would be most likely to pre-empt?  I think there was a thread about that in the early days of this forum.  You'd think a big market like Philly would have aired it.
[snapback]81397[/snapback]
[/quote]

Historically, it wasn't really what I'd describe as "medium" cities that were most likely to pre-empt; it was the cities that were just smaller than the largest cities -- say, anything that was a Top 25 market where the network affiliate wasn't an O&O.  The good news is that those areas were also more likely to have an independent station available to air pre-empted network programming (see highwayman128's above post, for example).

But the Philadelphia "Match Game" situation is kind of the exception that proves the rule here:  WPVI has been an ABC O&O since the Capital Cities takeover in the mid-1980s.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 10:22:27 PM by trainman »
trainman is a man of trains

ChuckNet

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 01:03:02 AM »
From my old TV Guides and my own memories, 48 did an admirable job with picking up ABC stuff that 6 wouldn't air - they aired "Second Chance", "$20,000 Pyramid", and the daytime reruns of "Love Boat", "Three's Company", and "Too Close For Comfort" until they went dark in late August, '83. I think they may have also aired "Edge of Night".

They did indeed...solely as a public service for soap fans outraged by WPVI's decision not to carry it.

And while not a network pre-empted GS, Ch. 48 also aired The $50K Pyramid in early 1981...in fact, most of the eps in the trading circuit were recorded off said station, as anyone who attended GSC11 and saw my tape can tell you. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 01:03:26 AM by ChuckNet »

ChuckNet

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 01:07:54 AM »
Recalling some Providence TVGs from the era, not a single ABC affiliate listed (WCVB/5, Boston; WTNH/8, Hartford-New Haven; WPRI/12, Providence) carried MG '90...Boston viewers got it on Worcester indie WHLL (Ch. 27, now Univison affiliate WUNI), and Fox affiliate WTIC (Ch. 61) aired it in Hartford.

Back in the day, WHLL was kind of a "savior" to deprived New England-area GS fans...they also aired Super J!, Monopoly, and for a time, the aforementioned daytime Combs FF.

zachhoran

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2005, 07:56:31 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 12:07 AM\']

Back in the day, WHLL was kind of a "savior" to deprived New England-area GS fans...they also aired Super J!, Monopoly, and for a time, the aforementioned daytime Combs FF.

[snapback]81692[/snapback]
[/quote]

A non-ABC station was airing ABC PRIMETIME programming? THat's unusual

Don Howard

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2005, 10:02:45 AM »
WEWS-TV 5 (catch 5 and you've caught it all) in Cleveland ran the show until the move to 12noon in 1980. Then that was it except for the 11am reruns of the All-Star specials which ran during Summer 1984 after the Olympics ended and while Trivia Trap, which TV-5 never aired, was being readied so ABC wouldn't have to bring Tawny Schneider (what a dish!) and her celebrity gossip show back. WCLQ-TV Channel 61 played daytime FF for a while in the early 1980s along with The Edge Of Night but that was short-lived.
And now a personal note...which I seldom do....a personal note: I am off on an extended vacation where they is no internet and no cell phones (if there is, I won't be using them because it's a vacation). It'll be glorious and I'll see you cybernetically in a month or so upon my return.

bellbm

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2005, 08:11:52 PM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 03:28 PM\']With 5-WOI in Ames, Iowa, it was just the opposite.  They didn't carry it at first, but once they did, they stayed with it to the end of the ABC run, IIRC.  Back in that 1975-76 season, when the station was still primarily in Ames and owned by Iowa State University (and one would suspect that the way they ended up being a primary ABC station in 1955 when Omaha had to wait two years after that to get their own, led to a general sour grapes attitude about WOI having to be stuck with the last-place network), they continued their then-common practice of wiping out ABC series that weren't generally as beloved as their hits...although they never did show the daytime LMAD or American Bandstand. 

But then a funny thing happened:  ABC soared to #1 in 1976 and poor old stodgy WOI was caught with their pants down.  "Welcome Back, Kotter" didn't debut on WOI till early December with the Debralee Scott "Hotsie Totsie" ep (and that was via a Sunday afternoon tape-delay that stayed with it till midseason), "Laverne & Shirley" didn't get on till a month after ABC began it (whereupon the local half-hour WOI used to bump it and "Kotter" got placed where it ALWAYS should have been: in the 6:30 access slot the FCC DESIGNED for stuff like that), and it took a very strong and strident letter to those dumbass Program Managers at WOI--sent by me--to cajole them into running the "Feud", which they did maybe a month or two after the ABC debut.  They were airing at 12:30 weekdays a local discussion show, and they revamped and moved it to 11:30 AM to make room for the "Feud".
Fortunately, FF caught on in Central Iowa the way it did everywhere else.
[snapback]81201[/snapback]
[/quote]

I lived in Eastern Iowa, and while WOI was not our main ABC Afiiliate, I remember watching Magic Window at 11:30, when did that show start, and when did it go off the air?

I also remember Channel 5 pre-empting the 11:00 ( or Noon EST) show in favor of reruns of One Day at a Time or Alice.

KCRG, the Cedar Rapids Affil ran Feud up until its end.  They were pretty good about carrying ABC programming until they began running Donahue in 1987.

I also always found it strange that KCCI, the CBS affiliate in Des Moines, did not run the CBS version of Wheel of Fortune, yet they ran the syndicated version for a number of years.  I guess they must have really been locked into that contract to re-run Jeopardy at 9:30 AM.

aaron sica

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2005, 08:31:19 PM »
[quote name=\'bellbm\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 08:11 PM\']I also remember Channel 5 pre-empting the 11:00 ( or Noon EST) show in favor of reruns of One Day at a Time or Alice.

KCRG, the Cedar Rapids Affil ran Feud up until its end.  They were pretty good about carrying ABC programming until they began running Donahue in 1987.

[snapback]81798[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually, the noon (EST) show (in some markets it showed at noon) *was* One Day at a Time, from February 1980 to September 1981. Alice aired at 10:30 (EST) from June 1980 to September 1982.

Out of curiosity, what did KCRG start missing out on in 1987? I'm guessing they didn't air those back-to-back reruns of Who's the Boss and Mr. Belvedere...

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2005, 11:29:04 PM »
[quote name=\'bellbm\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 07:11 PM\'][quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 03:28 PM\']With 5-WOI in Ames, Iowa, it was just the opposite.  They didn't carry it at first, but once they did, they stayed with it to the end of the ABC run, IIRC.  Back in that 1975-76 season, when the station was still primarily in Ames and owned by Iowa State University (and one would suspect that the way they ended up being a primary ABC station in 1955 when Omaha had to wait two years after that to get their own, led to a general sour grapes attitude about WOI having to be stuck with the last-place network), they continued their then-common practice of wiping out ABC series that weren't generally as beloved as their hits...although they never did show the daytime LMAD or American Bandstand. 

But then a funny thing happened:  ABC soared to #1 in 1976 and poor old stodgy WOI was caught with their pants down.  "Welcome Back, Kotter" didn't debut on WOI till early December with the Debralee Scott "Hotsie Totsie" ep (and that was via a Sunday afternoon tape-delay that stayed with it till midseason), "Laverne & Shirley" didn't get on till a month after ABC began it (whereupon the local half-hour WOI used to bump it and "Kotter" got placed where it ALWAYS should have been: in the 6:30 access slot the FCC DESIGNED for stuff like that), and it took a very strong and strident letter to those dumbass Program Managers at WOI--sent by me--to cajole them into running the "Feud", which they did maybe a month or two after the ABC debut.  They were airing at 12:30 weekdays a local discussion show, and they revamped and moved it to 11:30 AM to make room for the "Feud".
Fortunately, FF caught on in Central Iowa the way it did everywhere else.
[snapback]81201[/snapback]
[/quote]

I lived in Eastern Iowa, and while WOI was not our main ABC Afiiliate, I remember watching Magic Window at 11:30, when did that show start, and when did it go off the air?

I also remember Channel 5 pre-empting the 11:00 ( or Noon EST) show in favor of reruns of One Day at a Time or Alice.

KCRG, the Cedar Rapids Affil ran Feud up until its end.  They were pretty good about carrying ABC programming until they began running Donahue in 1987.

I also always found it strange that KCCI, the CBS affiliate in Des Moines, did not run the CBS version of Wheel of Fortune, yet they ran the syndicated version for a number of years.  I guess they must have really been locked into that contract to re-run Jeopardy at 9:30 AM.
[/quote]

I couldn't say when "The Magic Window" began, but I do know that I spent some of my first ten years watching it with my sister before we left Des Moines for K.C.
(For the benefit of those curious, it was one of those studio kiddie shows with a human host and puppet friends who introduced cartoons and showed craft segments, and was one of the last in the nation to go off the air after the station's long-overdue sale to Citadel, sometime in the mid-'90s, whereupon the show's host and many others lost their jobs).

As for KCCI not bothering to air WoF on CBS daytime when they had the nighttime show,  that wasn't so unusual.  They always had some 30-or-60 minute show in place of a CBS daytime show or two, from Mary Jane Chinn to Mary Brubaker to Merv Griffin to reruns of Real People to Headline Chasers, until finally picking up Regis & Kathie Lee in March 1990.  Also, despite the success of LMAD, it never aired in the daytime there until the last AM incarnation (the NBC Sunday night show in 1967 and the once-weekly syndie version were picked up there), and they were the last market in the nation to clear the NBC soaps "Days Of Our Lives" and "The Doctors" in the '80s.

I don't want to go too far off topic and into detail here, but I did some research and found that the Des Moines affiliates ripped the nets' 1966-67 nighttime schedule to shreds even more than the K.C. stations did with the 1969-70 lineup. Suffice it to say that The Monkees' only airtime exposure there was on radio at first.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 11:36:08 PM by DjohnsonCB »
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

bellbm

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2005, 09:26:52 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 07:31 PM\'][quote name=\'bellbm\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 08:11 PM\']I also remember Channel 5 pre-empting the 11:00 ( or Noon EST) show in favor of reruns of One Day at a Time or Alice.

KCRG, the Cedar Rapids Affil ran Feud up until its end.  They were pretty good about carrying ABC programming until they began running Donahue in 1987.

[/quote]

Actually, the noon (EST) show (in some markets it showed at noon) *was* One Day at a Time, from February 1980 to September 1981. Alice aired at 10:30 (EST) from June 1980 to September 1982.

Out of curiosity, what did KCRG start missing out on in 1987? I'm guessing they didn't air those back-to-back reruns of Who's the Boss and Mr. Belvedere...
[snapback]81799[/snapback]
[/quote]

IIRC, KCRG picked up Donahue from KGAN in March of 1987, and aired it at 9AM, pushing Hour Magazine to 10AM.  I can't remember what was airing on ABC at 10AM at the time, but I know Webster was on at 10:30.
In the fall of 87, they dropped Hour Magazine and aired Sally Jessey Raphael at 10:00 (her show was only 1/2 hour at that time), making room for Mr. Belevedere at 10:30 (which they aired).  Whenever SJR expanded to an hour, they aired it from 10:30-11:30, and by this time the Home Show was on from 10-11, so they aired the first 1/2 hour of Home.  So they never aired reruns of Growing Pains, or Perfect Strangers, or Match Game 90.

Passepartout

• Happy Halloween 2021
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2005, 07:25:08 PM »
Where I lived in Seymour TN, it kept the show all the way until the very last show which was and still is good news that they kept it until the last good-bye!!
2021 Happy Halloween

chrispw1

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2006, 02:08:50 PM »
In Chicago it was probably a bad sign when in the fall of 1984 WMAQ 5 bumped it from 6:30 pm to 1:30 in the morning to air Jim Lange's Name That Tune. Also, similar to what channel 5 would do in 1987 with bumping Wheel to afternoons for Dating Game then High Rollers,  WLS channel 7 bumped the daytime version to 3 pm in its last year to air Every Second Counts at 10:30 am.