Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Care For An Autograph?  (Read 8944 times)

Skynet74

Care For An Autograph?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2003, 03:14:17 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Aug 2 2003, 08:50 PM\'] I read in the paper recently about this service called "Autographed To You", where for a nominal fee celebrities will send you a personally autographed picture. [/quote]

It's rather ridiculous to even pay for an autograph unless the Celebrity is dead and can no longer sign for you. A simple letter request sent to any TV show or performer will usually score you a free autographed 8x10.

Visit http://www.stararchive.com/ for more info on just how easy it is to get free autographs.

John

cmjb13

Care For An Autograph?
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2003, 06:41:51 AM »
That doesn't always work.

I'm still waiting for autographs from Kyle Aletter and Burton Richardson from late 2001.

I mentioned to him in passing last time at Price that I wrote to him.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Jimmy Owen

Care For An Autograph?
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2003, 08:47:24 AM »
You wrote Kyle a letter and she didn't write back?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Care For An Autograph?
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2003, 11:21:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 12:14 AM\'] It's rather ridiculous to even pay for an autograph unless the Celebrity is dead and can no longer sign for you. [/quote]
 Personally, I think it's rather ridiculous to pay for an autograph, period (unless the proceeds are going wholly to charity), but that may just be because I see autographs as a personal momento of having met or known the person in question, and not as a commodity. If the person is dead, I can no longer meet them, I see no need for the signature. Even as a baseball card collector, the concept of a signed card I did not obtain myself struck me as odd.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Care For An Autograph?
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2003, 12:17:24 PM »
While I obsessively grab any scrap of anything that has to do with Bill Cullen, the one thing I skip on eBay is the occasional autograph.  I happen to have a couple of signed photos just because I wanted the photo itself, but I certainly wouldn't have paid a premium for the signature.

Still, supply and demand.  There's obviously a huge market for autographed items.  If a faded star can make a few bucks, not to mention help out a charity, more power to them.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Care For An Autograph?
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2003, 01:36:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 07:47 AM\'] You wrote Kyle a letter and she didn't write back? [/quote]
 I wrote Brett in I believe April; and have yet to hear back from her....
--Mark
Phil 4:13

MikeK

• Martha!
Care For An Autograph?
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2003, 03:35:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 02:14 AM\'] It's rather ridiculous to even pay for an autograph unless the Celebrity is dead and can no longer sign for you. A simple letter request sent to any TV show or performer will usually score you a free autographed 8x10.

Visit http://www.stararchive.com/ for more info on just how easy it is to get free autographs. [/quote]
 But paying for a deceased person's autograph is quite risky.  The autograph might be a forgery or an autopen (autographed by a machine programmed to mimic one's signature).  The same holds true for any autograph not signed in person.  Autopens are frequently used, as are personal assistants signing photos.

I agree with John.  The easiest and least expensive way to get an autograph is to write a letter to a celebrity, include a self-addressed stamped envelope, and insert a plain index card to be signed.  The total cost is under $1.  Having collected autographs for over 12 years, I can say that this is the best way to get autographs with very little risk.  I usually get a response within 6 weeks about half the time.

Has anybody considered creating an archive of game show host/celebrity addresses for fans?  On average, I get an e-mail a month asking how one can contact a host.  Maybe I should work on that project while I have some free time...

cmjb13

Care For An Autograph?
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2003, 03:39:15 PM »
You wrote Kyle a letter and she didn't write back?

I'm sure it was just a slight oversight on her part.

Probably because of all the mail she gets :P
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS