Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "The Men of GSN"....  (Read 9533 times)

JMFabiano

"The Men of GSN"....
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2005, 01:15:48 PM »
[quote name=\'xibit777\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 10:46 AM\']Isn't this a commercial for the shows?  Not the people who host them.   The point is to get as many people interested as they can in the new schedule.   The best way to do this is to advertise the upcoming NEW shows coming on.  Who really cares that MG or FF is going to be shown an additional time a day.  No one cares that Love Connection is still on in the mornings.  So what is the point of the commercial?    Yes you can sit back, enjoy the shows, and think the commercials don't matter, but in the end the ratings determine what is on the channel.

Maybe people would care if they saw shows coming back that haven't been seen in forever in some cases.  100k Pyramid which has been gone for almost a year.  Or Rafferty's CS.  Or the Passwords.  Or TTTT.

But no... instead they spend their time advertising the *new lineup* with MG, FF, and Love Connection clips.   Brilliant.
[snapback]80300[/snapback]
[/quote]

On the other hand, though, maybe they are trying to sell the lineup with the stuff that the casual viewer already knows, hoping they'll see the rest of the lineup along with it and that it gets over with them.  Realistically, there are more of "them" than "us," and "they" probably wouldn't cream as much over Bill Rafferty and Password references as we would.  While I wish for more consideration for us GS smarks, I've gotta accept that the old GSN is long extinct, and that I'd be best off taking whatever they will give me.  

BTW, I don't think GSN's classic promos have been just about the shows for the longest time.  There's always been some silly gimmick for most of them in recent years.

Some side questions...

The credit crunches were mentioned in passing before.  I haven't watched GSN regularly for a long time...only starting to little by little given tomorrow's changes.  So I wonder...you think they do this for more network ad time, and thusly, to lessen the speed-ups?  Do they still do this as frequently?  I noticed Segment One of today's Blockbusters being sped up, but on other shows I've recently seen, they seem toned down or nonexistant.  

Second has to do with the return of $100KP.  Between last night's marathon being '80s NG's (the norm for quite some time) and someone noting that they thought 3'saC was still in place, I wonder again about the limited timeframes of most of the Sony properties, both now and in recent times.  Did we ever find out for sure if there was some kind of falling out between Sony and GSN?  Or if the money was such that GSN can now only get select segments of even the Sony library?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

tvwxman

"The Men of GSN"....
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2005, 03:44:55 PM »
[quote name=\'xibit777\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 10:46 AM\']Isn't this a commercial for the shows?  Not the people who host them.   The point is to get as many people interested as they can in the new schedule.   The best way to do this is to advertise the upcoming NEW shows coming on.  Who really cares that MG or FF is going to be shown an additional time a day.  No one cares that Love Connection is still on in the mornings.  So what is the point of the commercial?    Yes you can sit back, enjoy the shows, and think the commercials don't matter, but in the end the ratings determine what is on the channel.

Maybe people would care if they saw shows coming back that haven't been seen in forever in some cases.  100k Pyramid which has been gone for almost a year.  Or Rafferty's CS.  Or the Passwords.  Or TTTT.

But no... instead they spend their time advertising the *new lineup* with MG, FF, and Love Connection clips.   Brilliant.
[snapback]80300[/snapback]
[/quote]

Do you honestly think the general GSN viewer knows that Card Sharks with Bill Rafferty has not been on the air in many years? That 100K Pyramid hasn't seen the light of day in 12 months?

C'mon. Think. Please?

They're promoting what the masses want, with things that the masses can identify with. Hersheys doesn't come up with new ad campains touting it's new use of Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil.... It promotes it's Reeses...sure, it's been around for years....but at least you've heard of the Peanut Butter cups, right?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

uncamark

"The Men of GSN"....
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2005, 04:47:43 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 12:15 PM\']The credit crunches were mentioned in passing before.  I haven't watched GSN regularly for a long time...only starting to little by little given tomorrow's changes.  So I wonder...you think they do this for more network ad time, and thusly, to lessen the speed-ups?  Do they still do this as frequently?  I noticed Segment One of today's Blockbusters being sped up, but on other shows I've recently seen, they seem toned down or nonexistant. 
[snapback]80307[/snapback]
[/quote]

They do the credit squeezebacks for one reason and one reason only--to try to keep the viewer from hitting the remote button for maybe 15 more seconds by catching their eye with a promo.  That's the main reason behind all split screens and credit squeezebacks, since they already know that a number of viewers are surfing away during commercial breaks.  (That's also the reason for the promo snipe graphics, too.)

As for time compression, I suspect that by the time we're getting to Bill Rafferty's stint on "Blockbusters," the amount of program time had already started to shrink and that there's simply less of a need for GSN to do time compression, in their view, than on some 70s and early 80s entries.