Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: B&W Overnight  (Read 5402 times)

Winkfan

B&W Overnight
« on: April 01, 2005, 10:24:21 AM »
From 'Professor Steve.....'

"GSN will air the '50s Goodson-Todman summer game What's Going On? in the overnight slot April 18-21 and Choose Up Sides April 22.

If THIS isn't a joke, I don't know what is.....

Also, us Name's the Same junkies better enjoy Bob & Ray while we can. We've got about four more visits from them left.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Brianne Leary of the Big Board!'
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
B&W Overnight
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 02:43:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Apr 1 2005, 10:24 AM\']From 'Professor Steve.....'

"GSN will air the '50s Goodson-Todman summer game What's Going On? in the overnight slot April 18-21 and Choose Up Sides April 22.

[/quote]

Sounds pretty plausible and likely to me since Name's The Same will finish it's run by then. (There're only episodes 11 with Clifton Fadiman)

Ugh...Choose Up Sides. The agony. Poor Gene.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 02:45:41 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

Tim L

B&W Overnight
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 12:27:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' date=\'Apr 1 2005, 02:43 PM\'][quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Apr 1 2005, 10:24 AM\']From 'Professor Steve.....'

[/quote]

Sounds pretty plausible and likely to me since Name's The Same will finish it's run by then. (There're only episodes 11 with Clifton Fadiman)

Ugh...Choose Up Sides. The agony. Poor Gene.

--Jamie
[snapback]80175[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not to correct Steve at all, but What's Going On? was never a "summer" show but was aired November-December 1954..The next to last or last show was I thought a very touching Christmas show featuring Kitty Carlisle singing Silent Night..Would like to see it again to get it on VHS..

Tim Lones

uncamark

B&W Overnight
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 04:55:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Tim L\' date=\'Apr 2 2005, 12:27 AM\'][Not to correct Steve at all, but What's Going On? was never a "summer" show but was aired November-December 1954..The next to last or last show was I thought a very touching Christmas show featuring Kitty Carlisle singing Silent Night..Would like to see it again to get it on VHS..
[snapback]80215[/snapback]
[/quote]

And Goodson has stated that "What's Going On?" was the worst series they ever did (and he said this when he was on Bob Costas' show, which meant he could've said "Mindreaders").  It's hard not to argue that much with him--and one has the feeling that Allan Sherman was at his most obstinate while they were doing this show.

mystery7

B&W Overnight
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 05:16:18 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 03:55 PM\']And Goodson has stated that "What's Going On?" was the worst series they ever did (and he said this when he was on Bob Costas' show, which meant he could've said "Mindreaders").  It's hard not to argue that much with him--and one has the feeling that Allan Sherman was at his most obstinate while they were doing this show.
[snapback]80480[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yeah, I'm curious about how bad Lee Bowman was as a host. I have a feeling he played a big part in the show's demise. I've read things about him that imply he was sort of the opposite of Bill Cullen.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 05:16:44 PM by mystery7 »

Jimmy Owen

B&W Overnight
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 07:17:46 PM »
The show was too ambitious for the time.  Lee was an actor, first and foremost, and it's sometimes difficult for an actor to deviate from a script.  Lots of technical gaffes.  I prefer Lee to, say, Clifton Fadiman, though.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DrBear

B&W Overnight
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 07:30:59 PM »
Actually ProfSteve ain't kiddin - a second source is Mark Evanier's always-entertaining News From Me. Has some interesting comments about the games as well.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Winkfan

B&W Overnight
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 10:18:12 PM »
Here's an B&WO update: Choose Up Sides will be screened on April 22-29.

I don't care what some of you others think, I'm looking forward to this particular week! (running from angry members.....)

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Judy Norton-Taylor fo the Big Board!'
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Don Howard

B&W Overnight
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 11:14:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Apr 8 2005, 09:18 PM\']Here's an B&WO update: Choose Up Sides will be screened on April 22-29.
I don't care what some of you others think, I'm looking forward to this particular week! (running from angry members.....)
[snapback]81118[/snapback]
[/quote]
For those who've never seen this rare treasure, while watching Gene Rayburn and a young contestant head over to Mr. Mischief: Sense the frustration and feel the pity.

uncamark

B&W Overnight
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 05:52:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 10:14 AM\'][quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Apr 8 2005, 09:18 PM\']Here's an B&WO update: Choose Up Sides will be screened on April 22-29.
[snapback]81118[/snapback]
[/quote]
For those who've never seen this rare treasure, while watching Gene Rayburn and a young contestant head over to Mr. Mischief: Sense the frustration and feel the pity.
[snapback]81161[/snapback]
[/quote]

And if you thought Don Pardo's performance of "I'm the Slime" on the Frank Zappa ep of "SNL" was over the top, just wait until you hear him as Mr. Mischief.

Gromit

B&W Overnight
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 03:44:56 AM »
Hmm. I actually enjoyed "What's Going On" more than I expected, given the scathing comments above.

I can definitely see that the technology just wasn't there to pull the show off. It worked much better for the middle segment, where the West Point visit was taped, and she was in studio to answer the questions.

MrBuddwing

B&W Overnight
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 03:49:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Apr 19 2005, 02:44 AM\']Hmm. I actually enjoyed "What's Going On" more than I expected, given the scathing comments above.

I can definitely see that the technology just wasn't there to pull the show off. It worked much better for the middle segment, where the West Point visit was taped, and she was in studio to answer the questions.
[snapback]82439[/snapback]
[/quote]

"Taped"? I'd be amazed if they didn't use a dinky 16mm movie camera to shoot that silent footage!

The Ol' Guy

B&W Overnight
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 08:18:53 AM »
I'm in your camp, Gromit. I've felt the concept was good, just too expensive and electronically complicated for it's time. I'll grant you that the panel game concept would be hard to push today, but change the styling somewhat, and with today's technology, a tv version of hide and seek could still be fun - it could be the slightly outrageous game the last TTTT tried to be, because this could be a bit looser. The "away" players could actually be doing some of the fun or bizarre things that could only be talked about in TTTT or IGAS.

uncamark

B&W Overnight
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 05:56:17 PM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' date=\'Apr 19 2005, 02:49 AM\'][quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Apr 19 2005, 02:44 AM\']Hmm. I actually enjoyed "What's Going On" more than I expected, given the scathing comments above.

[snapback]82439[/snapback]
[/quote]

"Taped"? I'd be amazed if they didn't use a dinky 16mm movie camera to shoot that silent footage!
[snapback]82440[/snapback]
[/quote]

And we were still two years away from videotape back then.  (The credits credited Telenews, the commercial end of Hearst Metrotone News of "News of the Day" fame--yes, there were still movie newsreels back then--as producing the film segment.  They also provided film crews for Ed Murrow's "See It Now," which was technically separate from CBS News, until Murrow started covering Joe McCarthy--the Hearst papers were pro-McCarthy and it became embarrassing.)