Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: And it wasn't kids week...  (Read 7925 times)

mmb5

And it wasn't kids week...
« on: March 27, 2005, 10:44:46 PM »
I just downloaded something of UKNova that in light of the recent discussion of Kids Week on Card Sharks will make you laugh, shudder and/or cry.  Eight-year-old Tanmay Dixit was a contestant on U.K.'s Countdown last week.  And he was treated like any normal contestant, he was playing the current multi-time champion, a mother with a son older than Tanmay.  And Tanmay won.

Here's a clip.  Sorry for the poor quality, my encoder is in the shop for repairs...
http://www.mikeburger.com/cdtanmay1.avi

--Mike, playing along, lost to him as well.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 10:50:14 PM »
Is Fiveroad a word? If not, then I lost as well.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 04:46:15 AM »
Wow!  Even I got "outsmarted" by that 8-year old kid.  How'd he manage to get on that show is beyond me.  I never EVEN heard of that word(if it's actually a real word).

Brig Bother

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 07:10:42 AM »
He's not the first child to appear and almost certainly won't be the last. Countdown are more than happy to let intelligent kids on, provided they pass the audition like anyone else.

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 07:13:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Mar 28 2005, 04:46 AM\']Wow!  Even I got "outsmarted" by that 8-year old kid.  How'd he manage to get on that show is beyond me.  I never EVEN heard of that word(if it's actually a real word).
[snapback]79660[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wow.

vtown7

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 08:15:21 AM »
Ok Craig - first I saw your comment about being "outstmarted".  It is possible for kids to be smarter than alot of people older than them.  Fine, point taken.

But then you say you haven't heard of the word in the video?  Surely you mean the longer word, right?  That I might be able to understand... but you can't be serious about the word that the kid came up with?

Yeesh.  If you're going to make inane comments, please clarify what you mean.

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 08:31:18 AM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Mar 28 2005, 08:15 AM\']Ok Craig - first I saw your comment about being "outstmarted".  It is possible for kids to be smarter than alot of people older than them.  Fine, point taken.

Yeesh.  If you're going to make inane comments, please clarify what you mean.
[snapback]79665[/snapback]
[/quote]

Before the usual Karlberg bashers weigh in on this, just know that most of us  know what to expect from Karlberg. Asking him to clarify something is futile.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 09:39:00 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 28 2005, 08:31 AM\']Before the usual Karlberg bashers weigh in on this, just know that most of us  know what to expect from Karlberg. Asking him to clarify something is futile.
[snapback]79666[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, like you're one to talk. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 09:45:05 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 28 2005, 08:31 AM\']Before the usual Karlberg bashers weigh in on this, just know that most of us  know what to expect from Karlberg. Asking him to clarify something is futile.
[/quote]

Hello....Pot? This is Kettle.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 10:47:54 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Mar 28 2005, 09:45 AM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 28 2005, 08:31 AM\']Before the usual Karlberg bashers weigh in on this, just know that most of us  know what to expect from Karlberg. Asking him to clarify something is futile.
[/quote]

Hello....Pot? This is Kettle.
[snapback]79670[/snapback]
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly, Aaron, but I forgot something. This is the great Zach Horan © we're talking about! He is exempt from anything and everything on this board. He automatically takes exception to any rule and/or policy! And do we have the authority to question him, just because he calls people out for the same things he's guilty of? I think not!

Sarcasm, Zach, let's not boost your ego any higher.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 10:51:25 AM »
I got the other 6-letter word mentioned in that clip while the last letter were being chosen.

Nice clip!  Too bad nothing as intellectually stimulating as Countdown will ever make it in the U.S.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 12:29:19 PM »
I'm surprised no one's said yet what a FUNNY clip it is.  For some reason, I was expecting some amazing display of the kid's skills, not a giggle fit.

[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Mar 28 2005, 11:51 AM\']Nice clip!  Too bad nothing as intellectually stimulating as Countdown will ever make it in the U.S.[/quote]
I see your point, and I bemoan the lack of good word games here as well.  Still, one could argue that Jeopardy! fills our intellectually-challenging game show requirements.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 01:38:21 PM »
[/quote]

Sounds like someone else, eh Zach?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

CarShark

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 04:25:29 PM »
Would "favorite" for 8 or "favored" for 7 have worked? I think they would have wanted the "u" in there.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005, 04:35:03 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' date=\'Mar 28 2005, 05:25 PM\']Would "favorite" for 8 or "favored" for 7 have worked? I think they would have wanted the "u" in there.[/quote]
Wow, good catch there!  (Of course, I'm guessing it may have taken you more than thirty seconds to find it!)  

According to a fan site, their official source these days is the Oxford Dictionary of English (2nd Edition).  Surely the ODE would include American variations, so I think you get the eight points.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.