Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Ratings  (Read 14510 times)

tvrandywest

New Ratings
« on: July 31, 2003, 01:25:53 PM »
Wheel of Fortune: 8.9,
Jeopardy: 7.1,
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire: 3.0,
The Hollywood Squares: 2.5,
Pyramid: 2.1,
Family Feud: 2.1,
Blind Date: 2.0,
ElimiDate: 1.9,
Weakest Link: 1.8,
The 5th Wheel: 1.5,
Street Smarts: 1.6,
Change of Heart: 1.2,
Shipmates: 0.9

Read 'em and weep. Wanna guess which are gone after this season (if not sooner)?

Randy
tvrandywest.com

Matt Ottinger

New Ratings
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2003, 01:54:06 PM »
Um...all but two?

Seriously, are we handicapping the survivors of the 03-04 season?  Unfortunately, it seems as though Squares has run its course, and I don't think Sony will have patience with Pyramid if it doesn't improve.  Somehow, Feud and Street Smarts keep trudging along year after year, so somebody must be satisfied with their low numbers.  Millionaire's the wild card, but I'd bet it'll stick around for a Year Three.  I have no idea (and little interest) about the relatiodocudateralities.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MyronMMeyer

New Ratings
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2003, 01:59:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 31 2003, 12:54 PM\']relatiodocudateralities.[/quote]
Now my brain hurts.

Kevin Prather

New Ratings
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2003, 02:07:53 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 31 2003, 12:25 PM\']Wheel of Fortune: 8.9,
Jeopardy: 7.1, [/quote]

Obviously.

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire: 3.0,
The Hollywood Squares: 2.5,
Pyramid: 2.1,
Family Feud: 2.1,

Uh-oh.

Blind Date: 2.0,
ElimiDate: 1.9,
Weakest Link: 1.8,
The 5th Wheel: 1.5,
Street Smarts: 1.6,
Change of Heart: 1.2,
Shipmates: 0.9

Aside from WL, the fact that ANYBODY watches these shows blows me away.

Read 'em and weep. Wanna guess which are gone after this season (if not sooner)?
as long as the top 6 last, i'm happy.

Jimmy Owen

New Ratings
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2003, 02:49:59 PM »
Re: the dateucompetitiondocugameumentaries, I would suspect if the demographics are good, they will continue.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

leszekp

New Ratings
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2003, 04:17:06 PM »
Randy,

Are those season-to-date ratings, or just the most recent week?

Weakest Link has already been cancelled, despite a sterling performance by George Gray as host, far better than Anne whatsername. Fundamentally flawed concept: the best player is not necessarily the winner. Pity, there's a market for a fast-paced quiz game with a different format than J!, but this one just wasn't it. Heck, I could come up with a more compelling format than WL.

I believe that a bunch of those dating shows are history as well; good riddance to bad rubbish for the most part, though Blind Date makes me laugh. Street Smarts may get low ratings, but part of that is the timeslots it usually gets (late at night). Plus it's dirt-cheap to produce.

melman1

New Ratings
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2003, 04:36:53 PM »
[quote name=\'MyronMMeyer\' date=\'Jul 31 2003, 10:59 AM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 31 2003, 12:54 PM\']relatiodocudateralities.[/quote]
Now my brain hurts.[/quote]
Mine too.  I happened to catch \"Shipmates\" while out of town on vacation and was just appalled, no other way to describe it.

The two, ummm..., contestants? looked like they were recovering addicts.  Maybe they were hearing voices in their heads too.  I imagine they were paid for their \"performance\" with a 12-pack of Milwaukee's Best.  So that and the cost of a camcorder and some extra high-quality tapes (this stuff is so bad that it probably wouldn't stick to normal tape) is probably the entire production budget.  But it's still hard to believe that enough ad time could be sold to recover those costs.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

tvrandywest

New Ratings
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2003, 06:01:45 PM »
[quote name=\'leszekp\' date=\'Jul 31 2003, 03:17 PM\']Randy,

Weakest Link has already been cancelled, despite a sterling performance by George Gray as host, far better than Anne whatsername. [/quote]
They be \"season to date\"  from Nielsen Media Research (8/26/02-7/21/03)

But Anne whatshername was such a nice lady!! I agree that George did an awesome job with LINK. We did milk it for 319 syndie episodes... not a bad run! As far as format, the BBC was on set to deliver the bible on day 1, and were resistant to any tweak. To their credit they had it on in something like 60+ countries.

My opinion: While I'm happy that friends working the shows have the paycheck, I don't know how Pyramid or Feud or Street Smarts pulled renewals for this season. I hope HS picks up; a 2.5 for a high budget show is not a winning formula. Despite continuing tweaks to lower costs, I can't imagine the above-the-line costs for that show balancing with a 2.5

Randy
tvrandywest.com

GS Warehouse

New Ratings
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2003, 06:01:56 PM »
relatiodocudateralities
dateucompetitiondocugameumentaries
Trashgarbagejunkandotherwisefiltywasteofairtime.

Maybe WoF should consider bringing back the Megaword.  Or how about a revival of Wordplay?  [ducks]

tvrandywest

New Ratings
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2003, 06:02:24 PM »
[quote name=\'leszekp\' date=\'Jul 31 2003, 03:17 PM\']Randy,

Weakest Link has already been cancelled, despite a sterling performance by George Gray as host, far better than Anne whatsername. [/quote]
They be \"season to date\"  from Nielsen Media Research (8/26/02-7/21/03)

But Anne whatshername was such a nice lady!! I agree that George did an awesome job with LINK. We did milk it for 319 syndie episodes... not a bad run! As far as format, the BBC was on set to deliver the bible on day 1, and were resistant to any tweak. To their credit they had it on in something like 60+ countries.

My opinion: While I'm happy that friends working the shows have the paycheck, I don't know how Pyramid or Feud or Street Smarts pulled renewals for this season. I hope HS picks up; a 2.5 for a high budget show is not a winning formula. Despite continuing tweaks to lower costs, I can't imagine the above-the-line costs for that show balancing with a 2.5

Randy
tvrandywest.com

urbanpreppie05

New Ratings
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2003, 06:07:50 PM »
I don't know how Pyramid or Feud or Street Smarts pulled renewals for this season.

I heard (tell me if I'm wrong) that Pyramid does well in some markets (better than other shows that were formerly in that slot...Feud I heard is also the same way. Street smarts? I don't know. Call it the \"little engine that could story\", cause their ratings have never been \"great\".
insert signature here

DrBear

New Ratings
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2003, 06:20:29 PM »
I'm just wondering how much of these ratings can be filed under \"self-fulfilling prophecy.\"

Station managers believe J! and WOF draw bigger numbers, so they put them in better time slots and - surprise - they draw bigger numbers. They don't believe the same about H2 and Street Smarts, so they get lower numbers. What's really needed — and I'm nah gah doah, as our former president once said - is analysis of ratings by time period for each of these shows.

\"If one Nielsen family turns off its set and goes to visit it's grandmother, does that mean a million other families are turning off their sets and going to visit their grandmothers?\"
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

ilb4ever2000

New Ratings
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2003, 06:33:50 PM »
Has Street Smarts being on WGN's national feed three times a day had any effect on it?

Dan Sadro

New Ratings
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2003, 07:00:04 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jul 31 2003, 05:07 PM\'] I heard (tell me if I'm wrong) that Pyramid does well in some markets (better than other shows that were formerly in that slot...Feud I heard is also the same way. Street smarts? I don't know. Call it the "little engine that could story", cause their ratings have never been "great". [/quote]
 I've also heard that Pyramid has always done exceptionally well in NY.

If you're going to win one market, it might as well be the biggest one :^)

Brandon Brooks

New Ratings
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2003, 07:06:30 PM »
Well actually, I would expect Blind Date to be back for another season, due to the exposure TNN gives it.  The rest under it, most certainly not (Well... I would think Elimidate might have a fighting chance, Street Smarts too, though the ratings are simply too low to justify continuing it).  

Brandon Brooks