Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your favorite one-shot host  (Read 11019 times)

alfonzos

Your favorite one-shot host
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2005, 01:42:42 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Mar 22 2005, 02:30 PM\']Elyane Boosler Honorable Mention: Stubby Kaye
[snapback]79072[/snapback]
[/quote]

After some thought (I have no life) Mike Stokey
Honorable Mention: Elayne Boosler
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

davewalls

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2005, 02:24:33 PM »
TonicBH already brought it up, but Lew Schnieder was one of the few bright spots of "Make the Grade". When he left for his short-lived show "Wish You Were Here" on CBS, "Make the Grade" went down the crapper. Seriously. The name "Robb Edward Morris" induces vomiting.
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

uncamark

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2005, 03:47:43 PM »
[quote name=\'davewalls\' date=\'Mar 23 2005, 02:24 PM\']TonicBH already brought it up, but Lew Schnieder was one of the few bright spots of "Make the Grade". When he left for his short-lived show "Wish You Were Here" on CBS, "Make the Grade" went down the crapper. Seriously. The name "Robb Edward Morris" induces vomiting.
[snapback]79150[/snapback]
[/quote]

And "Make the Grade" was a show where Nick didn't trust their instincts.  Why do a show that pretended to be a serious Q&A where a player's *score* could be stolen by someone doing better at tossing balls at targets?  It just seemed like that there was a rule at Nick where contestants had to cross from one end of the set to the other at least once a show and that physical elements had to be added whether necessary or not.  And of course, Morris didn't help things, either.

Chief-O

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2005, 04:48:27 PM »
Yeah, put in another one for Lew Schneider. I thought he was pretty decent.

Another one would be Michael Carrington from "Think Fast"---not too wild [unlike his replacement], but not too droll either. IMO, kinda along the same lines of Schneider.

And I personally thought Elayne Boosler was pretty good on "Balderdash", too.
.....and it goes like this!!!

DrBear

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2005, 05:33:01 PM »
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the ULTIMATE one-shot host...

Jackie Gleason, "You're In The Picture."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

WhammyPower

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2005, 08:42:11 PM »
Well, since my pick (Tom Bergeron) went down the crapper like Twisters (Haha, there's a side joke on that), I'd have to go with Betty White.

Dishonorable mention: Rolf Benirschke
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 08:54:06 PM by WhammyPower »

calliaume

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2005, 08:52:59 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Mar 23 2005, 08:42 PM\']Well, since my pick (Tom Bergeron) went down the crapper like Twisters (Haha, there's a side joke on that), I'd have to go with Ahmad Rashad.  (Second choice is Betty White, if Ahmad hosted something other than Celebrity Mole.)
[snapback]79191[/snapback]
[/quote]

Caesar's Challenge.  Thanks for playing; we have a case of Veg-All and a $25 Service Merchandise gift certificate for you...

I guess Nick Clooney's gone if we're counting pilots; he did one a year before The Money Maze.  I guess I have to go with Bob and Ray.

Speedy G

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2005, 11:37:44 PM »
The guy who hosted [mouths the word "Peer"] Pressure.

Seriously though, I'll say Greg Lee from Carmen Sandiego.  I could've swore he hosted something else, but I'm not sure if it was a game show.
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

davemackey

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2005, 11:40:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Speedy G\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 12:37 AM\']The guy who hosted [mouths the word "Peer"] Pressure.

Seriously though, I'll say Greg Lee from Carmen Sandiego.  I could've swore he hosted something else, but I'm not sure if it was a game show.
[snapback]79216[/snapback]
[/quote]
He certainly did: it was a variety show that ran on Nickelodeon called "Total Panic".

Chief-O

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2005, 07:27:04 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Mar 23 2005, 11:40 PM\'][quote name=\'Speedy G\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 12:37 AM\']The guy who hosted [mouths the word "Peer"] Pressure.

Seriously though, I'll say Greg Lee from Carmen Sandiego.  I could've swore he hosted something else, but I'm not sure if it was a game show.
[/quote]
He certainly did: it was a variety show that ran on Nickelodeon called "Total Panic".
[snapback]79217[/snapback]
[/quote]

AND he also did another game show, can't remember the title at the moment, but there was a page about it on [IIRC] Chuck Donegan's page.
.....and it goes like this!!!

zachhoran

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2005, 07:46:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 07:27 AM\'][quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Mar 23 2005, 11:40 PM\'][quote name=\'Speedy G\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 12:37 AM\']The guy who hosted [mouths the word "Peer"] Pressure.

[/quote]
[snapback]79217[/snapback]
[/quote]

AND he also did another game show, can't remember the title at the moment, but there was a page about it on [IIRC] Chuck Donegan's page.
[snapback]79244[/snapback]
[/quote]

Greg Lee also hosted the short-lived game show Nitro! c. 1995-96 on the now defunct(?) tv! Network.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2005, 09:45:08 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 07:46 AM\']
Greg Lee also hosted the short-lived game show Nitro! c. 1995-96 on the now defunct(?) tv! Network.
[snapback]79246[/snapback]
[/quote]

tv! is indeed history.  It eventually changed its name to Intro TV, then went dark at the end of some year during the '90s.  It was generally available on some cable systems like mine back in the days of 40-channel lineups, and provided a means for we viewers not fortunate enough to have a 70-something channel lineup, to experience two or three-hour block samplings of Disney, Cartoon Network and other niche channels we'd otherwise have zero access to.

Ah, those memories of Friday night prime time on Intro with pre-ubiquitous CN, the perfect place on their schedule for vintage Hanna-Barbera.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel