Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your favorite one-shot host  (Read 10595 times)

ChuckNet

Your favorite one-shot host
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2005, 08:20:32 PM »
Enberg also hosted Three for the Money and Baffle.

As well as The Perfect Match.

Back on topic, I'd go w/O'Connell (gotta love that "K-O for G-O" sign-off!), Elliott, and Bergeron, myself.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

zachhoran

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2005, 08:23:10 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 08:20 PM\']
Enberg also hosted Three for the Money and Baffle.

As well as The Perfect Match.

Back on topic, I'd go w/O'Connell (gotta love that "K-O for G-O" sign-off!), Elliott, and Bergeron, myself.

[snapback]78963[/snapback]
[/quote]

Elliott is not a one-shot host, remember. Although given his two GS hosting gigs lasted a grand total of nine or ten weeks, it feels like a one-shot.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2005, 08:55:12 PM »
Neither is Tom Bergeron; he hosted a one-episode test run thing of a show named "Since You've Been Gone."  Four people are socked away at a California resort for a week, then they come back to the studio and try to guess what things have happened in the world of current events.  I enjoyed it, mostly for Bergeron than anything else.
Travis L. Eberle

zachhoran

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2005, 09:27:35 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 08:55 PM\']Neither is Tom Bergeron; he hosted a one-episode test run thing of a show named "Since You've Been Gone." 

[snapback]78969[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bergeron is a three-shot host(maybe 2.5-shot), as he co-hosted last September's Pepsi Play for a Billion 2 special.

Passepartout

• Happy Halloween 2021
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2005, 10:48:39 PM »
Chuck Barris in the Gong Show of course!!
2021 Happy Halloween

whammy5000

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2005, 01:30:54 AM »
No doubt, it's gotta br Larry Toffler with syndicated Finder's Keepers.  All of the Nick hosts back then just seemed to wanna be another Marc Summers, so they modeled their hosting style after his.  Larry Toffler had his own hosting style, and I happened to like it.  He should've hosted more kids' games after FK left the air.

TonicBH

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2005, 01:37:19 AM »
Lew Schnieder is one of my candidates, for sure. I'd suggest Kevin O'Connell but I haven't seen an episode of Go yet.

(I also haven't seen an episode of Chain Reaction, either. go figure.)
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2005, 12:32:04 PM »
Uncamark brought up something in another thread that made this one come to mind:

My pick, assuming we're gonna be hardass about Bergeron not counting because he did a pilot and Play For A Billion (and the pilot issue would disqualify Kevin O'Connell as well): Pat Kiernan from "Studio 7." I wouldn't put him on LMAD or anything, but for a show that required fast reading or a lot of hard knowledge, he proved himself very adept, while still bringing a razor-sharp wit to the party.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2005, 12:37:20 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 22 2005, 12:32 PM\']Uncamark brought up something in another thread that made this one come to mind:

My pick, assuming we're gonna be hardass about Bergeron not counting because he did a pilot and Play For A Billion (and the pilot issue would disqualify Kevin O'Connell as well): Pat Kiernan from "Studio 7." I wouldn't put him on LMAD or anything, but for a show that required fast reading or a lot of hard knowledge, he proved himself very adept, while still bringing a razor-sharp wit to the party.
[snapback]79055[/snapback]
[/quote]

Especially if he would be doing something more mainstream and not "Studio 7"'s "game show from the viewpoint of the contestant" conceit and letting him talk to the viewers when hosts usually talk to the viewers.

Hey, I was a little ticked when last time in New York, my hotel had DirecTV in the rooms, meaning no NY1 and no Pat in the morning.  He provides a great alternative to the other wink-wink-nudge-nudge local morning shows (and the network shows, for that matter).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 12:39:48 PM by uncamark »

tvwxman

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2005, 01:29:45 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 22 2005, 12:32 PM\']Uncamark brought up something in another thread that made this one come to mind:

[snapback]79055[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think you bring up an excellent point here, without realizing it (or do you?)

What do the three names above have in common? They're all from Local TV News. Years of practice on the local circuit , I think, gives them an ability to understand broadcasting...guide viewers through the half hour, and more importantly, get the hell out of the way and let the players be the real stars of the show....Folks with backgrounds in tv and radio have gone on to big success hosting game shows

Which is EXACTLY what many young comics/actors never learn. Patrick Wayne? Wil Shriner? Amazing Johnathan? Johnathan Prince? Nothing. Hell, even Bill Cosby didn't light tv on fire with YBYL.

Of course , there are notable exceptions. Let us never speak of Chuck Henry again (though he got a few shots at the pilot circuit, didn't he?)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 01:30:20 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

alfonzos

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2005, 02:30:39 PM »
Elyane Boosler

Honorable Mention: Stubby Kaye
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

cmjb13

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2005, 02:59:14 PM »
Rich Fields
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

DrBear

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2005, 04:18:01 PM »
One I remember posting from back in the A.T.G.S. days...

Bobcat Goldthwaite hosting "Password."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2005, 04:38:10 PM »
On a similar tack....

"And here's the host and STAR of Match Game...Andrew "Dice" Clay!"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChuckNet

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2005, 08:06:29 PM »
Hey, I was a little ticked when last time in New York, my hotel had DirecTV in the rooms, meaning no NY1 and no Pat in the morning. He provides a great alternative to the other wink-wink-nudge-nudge local morning shows (and the network shows, for that matter).

I dunno...being up at 5 AM most of the wk for my radio station, we've got CNN Headline News fed into the studio TV, and Robin Meade seems to be quite good at giving me a much-needed jolt to get through the day. :-)