Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your favorite one-shot host  (Read 10596 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Your favorite one-shot host
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2005, 01:08:14 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Mar 19 2005, 10:57 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 19 2005, 09:53 PM\'](You LA types: TELL me Vin still does a few innings of the Dodger game, at least.)
[snapback]78761[/snapback]
[/quote]

Vin still does entire Dodger games -- home games, at least.  And when I say "entire," I mean he's the only one who talks...there's no color commentator in the booth with him.
[snapback]78762[/snapback]
[/quote]
I love it. I remember back in the day he used to split the radio and TV duties with Ross Porter and Don Drysdale. We are blessed to have Dave Niehaus here in Seattle, but he's not Vin.

To get this tenuously back on-topic, I know someone who used to do run the sound board at what is now Fox's studio's in LA who had the privlege of working with Vin on some kind of baseball TV special they were doing. Vin was to be on set, by himself, telling some baseball stories, and they needed Vin's segment to time out something like ten minutes, no more or less, they needed an exact time. So my friend asks Vin how he would like to be cued...usually you would keep the talent aware of how much time was left in the segment pretty coninuously, or at least enough so they can keep track. Vin simply asked to be signaled when there were 30 and 15 seconds left, and he'd take care of the rest. Um, ok.

The punch line: He nailed it with the first take. Fade up on Vin, he starts waxing poetic for nine and a half minutes, show him 30, he starts to wrap, show him 15, he wraps up neatly and throws it to break. Just perfect.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MCArroyo1

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2005, 01:58:57 AM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Mar 19 2005, 09:23 PM\']P.S.... if anybody votes for Elayne Boosler, they will be humiliated.
[snapback]78739[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh, please.  Elayne was fine as a host.  And one of the nicest people I've ever met.  No, I'm not biased... :D

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2005, 03:52:42 AM »
Since we're talkin' sportscasters like Vin Scully, I'll go with Dick Enberg from Sports Challenge as far as "one-show wonder host" goes.  Though I haven't seen a lot of that show, from what I did see, Dick was concise & straight-foward.

tvwxman

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2005, 06:28:26 AM »
Bergeron.

The Chamber.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

DrBear

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2005, 10:09:41 AM »
Memory's failing me - did Gordon Elliott do any games other than TTTT90?
He did an excellent job there.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

calliaume

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2005, 10:24:58 AM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Mar 20 2005, 12:20 AM\']If he hadn't been dismissed as a "failure" because his two daytime assignments didn't last long and went unseen in a number of local markets, he could have made a great moderator for "What's My Line?" or "To Tell The Truth" in their syndie runs.
[snapback]78758[/snapback]
[/quote]
Beside the Dodger commitments, Scully also lost his first wife between the runs of these two shows; she died of an accidental overdose of medicine she was taking for a bronchial condition at age 35. He's since remarried, but during the run of the talk show he was a single father.

Scully was quoted 10 years after his two shows ran in daytime saying he was glad he did them, but he'd hate to have to do them again.

Clooney also had another opportunity to host a game show after The Money Maze died off, and turned it down.

Not everyone wants a second chance.

Don Howard

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2005, 10:29:24 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Mar 20 2005, 10:09 AM\']Memory's failing me - did Gordon Elliott do any games other than TTTT90?
[snapback]78786[/snapback]
[/quote]
Indeed he did. It's Your Chance Of A Lifetime for one week during the summer of 2000. The expectations were high, the ratings were low, so FOX cancelled the show PLUS Greed out of spite for the genre. Buttmunches.
Gordon was the best host 90s TTTT had, though. As far as the balloting for the OP's query, I'll second the motion for Kevin O'Connell. I gather pilots don't count--just shows that made it on the air. SO KO fo' GO it is.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 10:34:46 AM by Don Howard »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2005, 10:31:33 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Mar 20 2005, 10:24 AM\']
Not everyone wants a second chance.
[snapback]78789[/snapback]
[/quote]

Jim Peck did.  :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2005, 11:48:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Mar 20 2005, 03:52 AM\']Since we're talkin' sportscasters like Vin Scully, I'll go with Dick Enberg from Sports Challenge as far as "one-show wonder host" goes.  Though I haven't seen a lot of that show, from what I did see, Dick was concise & straight-foward.[/quote]
Enberg also hosted Three for the Money and Baffle.  Thanks for playing, Craig.

If we're talking about hosts who hosted only one show in the U.S., I'd pick Bruce Forsyth.  If not, I'll put my vote in for K.O.

tvwxman

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2005, 01:26:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Mar 20 2005, 10:29 AM\'][quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Mar 20 2005, 10:09 AM\']Memory's failing me - did Gordon Elliott do any games other than TTTT90?
[snapback]78786[/snapback]
[/quote]
Indeed he did. It's Your Chance Of A Lifetime for one week during the summer of 2000. The expectations were high, the ratings were low, so FOX cancelled the show PLUS Greed out of spite for the genre. Buttmunches.
Gordon was the best host 90s TTTT had, though.[/quote]

Follow up Q for those in the know (Stay out of it Horan).

The show that got Gordo in trouble was called "Get the Picture"....he had a deal with Fox to host this, and it died when he left (and broke the contract) to host TTTT...

Soon after, Get the Picture on Nickelodeon shows up....

Same show (but with kids)? Does anyone out there know the format?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tyshaun1

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2005, 03:04:32 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Mar 20 2005, 01:26 PM\']Same show (but with kids)? Does anyone out there know the format?
[snapback]78800[/snapback]
[/quote]

From what I remember reading in Broadcasting & Cable magazine many moons ago, the format was very similar to what made it to Nick in '91, except it was two couples. I believe it was even created by one of the producers of the series who worked at Nickelodeon (not Geoffrey Darby, Marjorie.....something...) when they were co-producing Double Dare and Finders Keepers for syndication.

Tyshaun

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2005, 03:16:19 PM »
K.O. was good, but I gotta throw some support for Chuckie Willie Barris (I think that's the epitome of a one-shot).

Doug -- and the countdown to 1100 conitnues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

HairMetalLives

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2005, 04:07:34 PM »
What about Kenny Mayne on "Two Minute Drill?" (If there's not another show I don't know about) I also will give a vote for Lew Schneider on "Make the Grade," but maybe that's a little skewed because of what we saw take over after he left.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2005, 02:30:17 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Mar 20 2005, 03:04 PM\']... I believe [Get the Picture] was even created by one of the producers of the series who worked at Nickelodeon (not Geoffrey Darby, Marjorie.....something...) when they were co-producing Double Dare and Finders Keepers for syndication.
[snapback]78808[/snapback]
[/quote]From someone who overdosed on Nickelodeon as a teenager, you're thinking of Marjorie Cohn.  (BTW, happy belated 14th anniversary to GtP. :-) )

[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'sig file\']"Boy would I like to go to Vegas with HER!" Laurie Faso speaking about a female contestant on I'm Telling! taken out of context.[/quote]That reminds me...no votes for Laurie Faso yet?! :-D  Nah, I'm on the KO-for-GO bandwagon too.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 02:30:34 PM by GS Warehouse »

uncamark

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2005, 03:53:50 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Mar 20 2005, 03:16 PM\']K.O. was good, but I gotta throw some support for Chuckie Willie Barris (I think that's the epitome of a one-shot).

[snapback]78809[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not that Chuckie Baby didn't try again--with the pilot "The $1 Million Talent Show" in 1981 (yes, he was going to play it straight) and in the related department, "Comedy Court" in 1985 or so (well, he was the judge, but close enough).