Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Heck no!  (Read 4506 times)

passwordplus

Heck no!
« on: March 18, 2005, 01:06:33 PM »
I put in 04/04/2005 on that adlink post that people had here, now GSN is showing up as TBA. I wonder if the classics in the AM was just a pipe dream...let's just hope Adlink is having a "burp"

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Heck no!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 01:36:47 PM »
It was TBA well before Adlink stopped providing the upcoming schedules for GSN.

--Jamie

Chelsea Thrasher

Heck no!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 02:43:06 PM »
As of now, Adlink no longer sells advertising space across GSN on cable services in Los Angeles, by ALL indications.  All references to the network have been dropped from the site, except these last couple of remaining, HIDDEN, listings pages. In addition to GSN, Adlink dropped OLN (Outdoor Life Network) as well as a third network I honestly do not remember, and began selling ads across Lifetime Movie Network, Hallmark Channel, and  Oxygen.      

Explanation 1: GSN's overall households and demographics' relative stagnation, combined with the growth exhibited by the three newbies to the site, probably lent to it's axing

Explanation 2: An agreement at some point in the process failed to go through, resulting in the dropping of the three.

FWIW, in the three years that I've viewed the listings on the Adlink service, this is the first time I've seen networks actually dropped in favor of other networks.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 02:44:05 PM by Seth Thrasher »

itiparanoid13

Heck no!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 02:53:11 PM »
There was a major press release about adding classics to the lineup, something I've never seen before.  It's real.  I just have no clue what is going on with the rest.  I'm at least hoping for some major changes.  The 24/7 ITV is suppose to happen around that time too.

Matt Ottinger

Heck no!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 03:25:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Mar 18 2005, 03:43 PM\']Explanation 2: An agreement at some point in the process failed to go through, resulting in the dropping of the three.[/quote]
That would seem to make the most sense.  Seems Adlink would be happy to have all the cable stations it could, but if the networks have to make some sort of arrangement with them to be carried, it's likely GSN no longer has such an arrangement.

We saw on another thread that GSN could be in danger of losing its spot on the Direct TV universe.  This sure gives the impression that the GSN people have a hard time playing well with others.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Chelsea Thrasher

Heck no!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 04:11:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 18 2005, 02:25 PM\'] Seems Adlink would be happy to have all the cable stations it could, but if the networks have to make some sort of arrangement with them to be carried, it's likely GSN no longer has such an arrangement..

...This sure gives the impression that the GSN people have a hard time playing well with others.
[snapback]78600[/snapback]
[/quote]

Something to ponder, though...It wasn't just GSN that disappeared.  OLN and TV Guide Channel [I finally remembered it] disappeared at the same time.  If it were solely a direct effect of GSN not being able to come to terms with Adlink, why the disappearance of the other two?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 04:11:33 PM by Seth Thrasher »

trainman

Heck no!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 10:59:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Mar 18 2005, 01:11 PM\']Something to ponder, though...It wasn't just GSN that disappeared.  OLN and TV Guide Channel [I finally remembered it] disappeared at the same time.  If it were solely a direct effect of GSN not being able to come to terms with Adlink, why the disappearance of the other two?
[snapback]78607[/snapback]
[/quote]

My guess is that Adlink reevaluated its channel offerings, and I think your Explanation 1 is correct.  I'm not even sure how many Los Angeles-area cable systems were even able to insert local ads into GSN, since it's a digital channel on most systems (I know the Adelphia system here in the Valley is getting GSN straight off what used to be AT&T's HITS service).  Same deal with OLN.  And the TV Guide Channel isn't even carried on a surprising number of cable systems in the area (about half the Comcast systems don't have it, if the cable conversion chart in the front of the Comcast edition of TV Guide is to be believed).
trainman is a man of trains