Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Don't Snap to Judgement  (Read 5644 times)

The Pyramids

Don't Snap to Judgement
« on: March 10, 2005, 07:36:42 PM »
I was looking at Ian's useful GSN list. It looks like 'Snap Judgement' might (might) be the only 60's G/T show the network as never aired in any way shape or form.

I wonder why fate was unkind to it, yet a few episodes of 'Number Please' & 'Get the Message' were spared. I would like to see Ed McMahon doing his day job at the time. Even better would be the opportunity to see the walk-ons Johnny Carson reportedly made once or twice.

zachhoran

Don't Snap to Judgement
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 08:01:21 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Mar 10 2005, 07:36 PM\']I was looking at Ian's useful GSN list. It looks like 'Snap Judgement' might (might) be the only 60's G/T show the network as never aired in any way shape or form.

[snapback]77798[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't think any episodes of Call My Bluff have aired on GSN.

MrBuddwing

Don't Snap to Judgement
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 08:50:33 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Mar 10 2005, 07:36 PM\']I was looking at Ian's useful GSN list. It looks like 'Snap Judgement' might (might) be the only 60's G/T show the network as never aired in any way shape or form.

I wonder why fate was unkind to it, yet a few episodes of 'Number Please' & 'Get the Message' were spared. I would like to see Ed McMahon doing his day job at the time. Even better would be the opportunity to see the walk-ons Johnny Carson reportedly made once or twice.
[snapback]77798[/snapback]
[/quote]

I only saw it a few times, and have very dim memories, but the one that stands out the most is, they changed the format of the game during its run. I don't remember how it worked at first, but by the end of the series, "Snap Judgment" had turned into a blantant rip-off of the original "Password."

The Ol' Guy

Don't Snap to Judgement
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 09:45:29 PM »
I missed the second incarnation of SJ..the first was a "paper and pencil Password". The civilian members of a celeb-civilian team spent time before the show writing down one-word responses to words or subjects given them by the producers. When it was your team's turn, the civilian revealed his word (like "puppy"), and your teammate could have up to three guesses to match your written response for $10 ("dog?" "no" "treat?" "no" "puppy love?" "Yes!"). If your teammate failed to get it in 3 guesses, the opposing celeb got one guess. If all guesses to that point were wrong, the civilian would give the first letter of his answer, and the two celebs did a "jump in" for the chance to guess it for $20.
Now where could I find this list? I wonder if any episodes of Missing Links survived?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 11:24:41 PM by The Ol' Guy »

The Pyramids

Don't Snap to Judgement
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 10:26:29 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Mar 10 2005, 09:45 PM\']I missed the second incarnation of SJ..the first was a "paper and pencil Password". Now where could I find this list? I wonder if any episodes of Missing Links survived?
[snapback]77808[/snapback]
[/quote]

See here. It sounds like 'Missing Links' is another Sixties show I have not heard off.

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/St...n/2357/gsn.html

The Ol' Guy

Don't Snap to Judgement
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 11:21:34 PM »
Thank you, Paul. Interesting list. I apologize to those I bore with details of shows they already know, but some of us here have caught quite a few from the old days and are happy to help. When Password got hot, G-T put out a batch of word association spin offs, like Snap Judgment, Get The Message, and another variation, Missing Links. Think of it as a To Tell The Truth affadavit with words left out. An average joe contestant would come on and tell a story about an interesting incident in his life, or describe his work, or something along that line. The story was read in (I think) either a three or four part form. The guest would read the first part of his story, and somewhere the reader would leave out one or more words. A panel of three celebs would take a turn trying to guess the missing words. Like if a guy was a mountain climber, he might say, "As we got closer to the top of the mountain, even though we were climbing through six feet of snow, the sun was so bright, we had to use BLANK BLANK to protect ourselves." If one of the panelists guessed the correct missing links (suntan lotion) in the first round of guessing, the contestant won some cash - if no correct guess, the first letters of the words were given and the panel got one more shot with the payoff being smaller. A pleasant little show NBC had for awhile with Ed McMahon, then it moved over to ABC, where Dick Clark handled the hosting.

DjohnsonCB

Don't Snap to Judgement
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 02:07:01 PM »
I missed the last two years of SJ as well, partially because of school and MOSTLY due to my local NBC station's new policy of "kill everything NBC throws at us at 9 AM weekdays"  which they inaugurated at the start of 1968 and continued for about the next five years.  But I did get to see part of one show from 1968 or 1969 out of town; don't know if it was the later "Password" ripoff, but I do know that the use of Bob Cobert's "Window Shopping" from Cullen TPIR was by then discontinued and a new original theme in the vein of the "Match Game" theme that replaced "Swingin' Safari" by that time was now in use.

I addition, I believe I have the audio portion of an SJ bonus round from 1967 on tape, but I haven't put it anywhere because I don't know what to do with it, website-wise.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

The Pyramids

Don't Snap to Judgement
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 09:14:33 AM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Mar 10 2005, 11:21 PM\']Thank you, Paul. Interesting list. I apologize to those I bore with details of shows they already know, but some of us here have caught quite a few from the old days and are happy to help. When Password got hot, G-T put out a batch of word association spin offs, like Snap Judgment, Get The Message, and another variation, Missing Links. Think of it as a To Tell The Truth affadavit with words left out..... A pleasant little show NBC had for awhile with Ed McMahon, then it moved over to ABC, where Dick Clark handled the hosting.
[snapback]77823[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks for the recap. Now I recall reading about 'Missing Links' due to Dick Clark.

In fact due to the Clark connection I would probably be more interested in seeing one 'Missing Links' instead of 'Snap Judgement.' In ten years of GSN now we would have seen one if there was one.

By the way, there is one episode of the ultimate non-GT 'Password' rip-off, "The Object Is.." out there. I think it originated on one of those tapes w/public domain material, and was hosted by Dick Clark in '64.

Bob Zager

Don't Snap to Judgement
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 11:08:43 AM »
I've been particularly interested in some episodes of Dick Clark's game shows, and upon doing some online research I found out that UCLA's television archives HAS:

Two episodes of Missing Links (the pilot with Ed McMahon, and the second from the last episode with Dick Clark).

ALL 65 produced episodes of The Object Is with Dick Clark, plus the pilot.

In regards to some of the other shows originally referenced here, UCLA's archives has the pilot for Call My Bluff, but unfortunately no Snap Judgment episodes.  It almost looks like it is the only G-T produced show with NO surviving episodes in existence.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 11:09:19 AM by Bob Zager »

Gsguy

Don't Snap to Judgement
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 12:56:41 PM »
There is a sound clip of Snap Judgement that survives.  I think somebody here posted it but I don't have the url.

DjohnsonCB

Don't Snap to Judgement
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 08:05:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Gsguy\' date=\'Mar 12 2005, 12:56 PM\']There is a sound clip of Snap Judgement that survives.  I think somebody here posted it but I don't have the url.
[snapback]77963[/snapback]
[/quote]

This is the URL to my sound clip, which hopefully should work.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/kcit50/snapjudgment1.wav

As I posted in this thread earlier, I also have a bonus game audio clip, and may have found a place to put it later on if I can manage.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Don't Snap to Judgement
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 11:54:28 AM »
I have in my posession a soundclip of a different ep of Snap Judgment; however, it is rather distorted and doesn't include anything not heard here.

It seems to be from later in the show's run, when the opening announcement by Johnny O was chopped down as thus...

This is backstage, and our contestants are completing their associations. While on the stage are Celebrity A, Celebrity B, and host Ed Mc Mahon. And the game they're all about to play is 'Snap' *sound effect* 'Judgment!'
@lambertman

uncamark

Don't Snap to Judgement
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 12:38:55 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'Mar 16 2005, 11:54 AM\']I have in my posession a soundclip of a different ep of Snap Judgment; however, it is rather distorted and doesn't include anything not heard here.

It seems to be from later in the show's run, when the opening announcement by Johnny O was chopped down as thus...

This is backstage, and our contestants are completing their associations. While on the stage are Celebrity A, Celebrity B, and host Ed Mc Mahon. And the game they're all about to play is 'Snap' *sound effect* 'Judgment!'
[snapback]78377[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sound effect being audience snapping fingers.

And when they went to the "Password" carbon, the opening became the "Password" opening, complete with the fawning celeb intros, with the title replaced.  (And the Lightning Round became known as the Big 5.)