Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS properties  (Read 6678 times)

14gameshows

CBS properties
« on: March 16, 2005, 01:21:41 PM »
OK, say you are the President of GSN and Les Moonves calls you and asks, "OK Mr./Ms President, I'm about to offer you two choices, and choose them wisely, these are concerning some of the hottest properties that my network (CBS) currently has and I want to branch out and make some money.  You can either get all the episodes of The Price is Right and start airing them next week, OR you can get your hands on all seasons of Survivor, Amazing Race, and Big Brother PLUS we at CBS/Viacom will cross promote the shows asking viewers to catch encore presentations of the past seasons on your network, which means more exposures and potential viewers will catch eye of what you all at GSN has to offer.  Remember it's either 33 years of TPIR, or the Reality Programming with cross-promotions.  You have one week to decide.  Call me back!"

What would you choose and why???

cmjb13

CBS properties
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 01:30:25 PM »
Depends on how long I'd have them for.

Short-term I'd take reality because it probably won't rerun well.

Long-term I'd take Price.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
CBS properties
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 01:41:20 PM »
I don't think there's any question. You take the reality. The cross promotion is too valuable, and people who don't watch GSN think it carries Price anyhow and are usually surprised to find out it doesn't.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
CBS properties
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 08:35:33 AM »
While it would be nice to have both (for GSN's sake) or just to have TPiR (for our sake), the obvious decision would be the reality shows. Notably for at least two reasons: one, if the deal continues with every new season, that's just a constant stream of viewership. That's because of reason two - as I've seen in friends and myself, established reality shows still get new audience. And once they figure out there's other seasons on rerun/retail somewhere, they may be curious depending on how much they liked the season they watched. It would be a boon for GSN if this happened.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Jimmy Owen

CBS properties
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 10:09:06 AM »
One show I think might work well on GSN would be Big Brother, but not in reruns.  I would negotiate to show the real time web feed from the time the contestants get up to when they fall asleep (notice I didn't say go to bed).  Poker after that, then Infomercials.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

CBS properties
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 06:09:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 18 2005, 10:09 AM\']One show I think might work well on GSN would be Big Brother, but not in reruns.  I would negotiate to show the real time web feed from the time the contestants get up to when they fall asleep (notice I didn't say go to bed).  Poker after that, then Infomercials.
[snapback]78567[/snapback]
[/quote]

Especially since Channel 4 in the UK pretty much turns their sister digital/satellite channel E4 to "Big Brother Live" when their version runs every summer.  I'm surprised that it hasn't been considered in the U.S., or if until Spike TV came along there wasn't really a place in the MTV Networks portfolio for "BB."  (Now that Viacom seems to be dividing into two, that sort of synergy may be out the window, but it doesn't mean that they could sell "BB Live" to GSN...)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
CBS properties
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 07:07:46 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 04:09 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 18 2005, 10:09 AM\']One show I think might work well on GSN would be Big Brother, but not in reruns.  I would negotiate to show the real time web feed from the time the contestants get up to when they fall asleep (notice I didn't say go to bed).  Poker after that, then Infomercials.
[snapback]78567[/snapback]
[/quote]

Especially since Channel 4 in the UK pretty much turns their sister digital/satellite channel E4 to "Big Brother Live" when their version runs every summer.  I'm surprised that it hasn't been considered in the U.S., or if until Spike TV came along there wasn't really a place in the MTV Networks portfolio for "BB."  (Now that Viacom seems to be dividing into two, that sort of synergy may be out the window, but it doesn't mean that they could sell "BB Live" to GSN...)
[snapback]78943[/snapback]
[/quote]
For the first season of BB, the camera feeds were made available online for free, and there were quite a few of us who would wind up in BB-related chat areas watching the monkeys dance and talking about it.

Then someone decided they could make money from it, and now you have to pay money to access those feeds.

Which is why your ideas to negotiate and show the feeds on TV for free won't work. Someone's already placed a dollar value on them.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Terry K

CBS properties
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 01:31:51 PM »
I'd take TPIR because:

1.  Survivor is on DVD.  Why rerun it?
2.  Big Brother is boring.

None of these shows have enough episodes to go any length of time.  

TPIR could run multiple times a day comfortably and not repeat a single show.  Everyone knows the outcome of Survivor, BB, and AR.  Why bother?  With TPIR, it can be played along with and everyone is in suspense.

Ian Wallis

CBS properties
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 02:48:20 PM »
1. Survivor is on DVD. Why rerun it?
2. Big Brother is boring.

Actually, "Big Brother" was on CBS six days a week during its first run - so it would probably have over 100 episodes right there.  Seasons 2 to 5 have only had three episodes per week.

Each run of "Survivor" is around 13 episodes - so they'd have about 130 by now.  Could be good for a weekday run - they wouldn't repeat for six months.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
CBS properties
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 02:51:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 01:31 PM\']I'd take TPIR because:
[/quote]
It seems that you are selecting TPiR based on your own personal agenda; not what would be best for the network.

What if someone found Big Brother intriguing and TPiR boring?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

The Pyramids

CBS properties
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 02:52:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Mar 27 2005, 02:48 PM\']
1. Survivor is on DVD. Why rerun it?
2. Big Brother is boring.

Actually, "Big Brother" was on CBS six days a week during its first run - so it would probably have over 100 episodes right there.  Seasons 2 to 5 have only had three episodes per week.

Each run of "Survivor" is around 13 episodes - so they'd have about 130 by now.  Could be good for a weekday run - they wouldn't repeat for six months.
[snapback]79589[/snapback]
[/quote]

Aren't one of these reality cable networks due by now? They would not be to my liking but I would be curious to the line-ups.

uncamark

CBS properties
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 05:28:30 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Mar 27 2005, 02:52 PM\']
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Mar 27 2005, 02:48 PM\']

[snapback]79591[/snapback]

Fox Reality Channel is supposed to be starting up later this year.  There's also Reality Central, but they've stated that they're not going after off-U.S. network shows--if they're going to be around at all.

FRC would have their extensive library (except "Idol"--Fremantle doesn't want to sell them the cable rights) and "Fear Factor" for the channel.  The Perfesser claims that FRC and GSN have submitted bids on "Amazing Race," but you have to consider the source.