Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Good time for 'Feud' fans  (Read 7589 times)

uncamark

Good time for 'Feud' fans
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005, 12:55:29 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Mar 14 2005, 12:54 AM\']Karn is growing on me, but the entire Feud staff needs to be locked in a room and watch a marathon of Feud episodes, Dawson and Combs. I know the show is gaining ratings and is getting a seventh season, but there's still some things that need change.
[snapback]78111[/snapback]
[/quote]

The titular showrunner now is Gaby Johnston, who actually worked on the Dawson and Combs incarnations of "Feud," so she should know better--she's probably being overruled by her bosses at Fremantle.  (At G-T/MGP, she was listed as "Gabrielle Johnston" on the credits, for those wondering--she now uses her nickname.)

GS Warehouse

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2005, 01:36:20 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Mar 13 2005, 10:31 PM\'][quote name=\'Tony\' date=\'Mar 13 2005, 09:36 PM\']Unless my Klauss-G***** Sarcasm Detector (tm) is on the fritz...[/quote]
Oh come on.  Everybody knows the right way to type the above is "K*****-Gibson". :-)
[snapback]78097[/snapback]
[/quote]
Mike, Mike, Mike...I thought you would have bought out Chuck's stake by now.  After all, rumor has it that it was his idea to buy exclusive ad time on Father of the Pride.

SplitSecond

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2005, 02:37:18 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 14 2005, 10:55 AM\']The titular showrunner now is Gaby Johnston,[/quote]
It's been Gaby's show since season 4, but a clause in her contract as a Fremantle executive prohibited her from being credited on-screen as the show's Executive Producer until recently.
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 14 2005, 10:55 AM\']who actually worked on the Dawson and Combs incarnations of "Feud," so she should know better--she's probably being overruled by her bosses at Fremantle.  (At G-T/MGP, she was listed as "Gabrielle Johnston" on the credits, for those wondering--she now uses her nickname.)
[/quote]
Her working on the previous incarnations doesn't automatically imbue her with all the knowledge of things like why a 300 point goal works and why going for a "DOUBLE THE POINTS!" audience reaction every single show doesn't work.  Don't assume that just because something on the show seems bad to us that it automatically came from above.  

The "DOUBLE THE POINTS!" bit could have come from the director, from Richard, from one of the other staffers, from Gaby herself, or just one of those things that just happened the first time out that nobody gives a second thought about until someone realizes just how silly it is.

All that said, Gaby is a very nice person.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 02:38:38 PM by SplitSecond »

passwordplus

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2005, 03:22:18 PM »
[quote name=\'xibit777\' date=\'Mar 14 2005, 12:28 AM\']You know what pissed me off about Karn, the other day this lady needed about 50 points on the last question for the 20,000 dollars.  Well she gave a good answer.   Karn doesn't build it up AT ALL and he just reads it in his monotone voice and suddenly you see a huge 40 pop up.  Then he mumbles "oh by the way it was number 1" AFTER the reveal.

That was one thing Dawson and Combs did so well.  Build up suspense.  They would have been saying, you know this is the number 1 answer.  It could be enough....  is it?  SURVEY SAYS!

Then other times a family needs like 65 points.  And Karn gives them false hope that it might be up there.  He's not even kidding around and goes "is it ____ for 65 points?"

Karn needs to go back to hosting school.  Where are the good game show hosts these days...
[snapback]78106[/snapback]
[/quote]

As per ATGS, they are all dead(seriously they are, but some trolling nerds have live ones as dead, anyways). I wonder how Tom Bergeron would fit into hosting Feud.....hmmmm....I wonder if Fremantle read this board.

I am ok with Karn, he has come along alot better than his 2002 debut. But he's no Bob Barker/Pat Sajak/Richard Dawson type host IMHO.

cmjb13

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2005, 03:31:30 PM »
Did they audition anybody else (assuming Karn did) after Louie?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Passepartout

• Happy Halloween 2021
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2005, 10:49:37 PM »
I love the Game show hosts week on the Family Feud as that's my all-time favorite!!
2021 Happy Halloween

Stevek83

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2005, 12:55:11 AM »
[quote name=\'xibit777\' date=\'Mar 14 2005, 12:28 AM\']
You know what pissed me off about Karn, the other day this lady needed about 50 points on the last question for the 20,000 dollars.  Well she gave a good answer.   Karn doesn't build it up AT ALL and he just reads it in his monotone voice and suddenly you see a huge 40 pop up.  Then he mumbles "oh by the way it was number 1" AFTER the reveal.

That was one thing Dawson and Combs did so well.  Build up suspense.  They would have been saying, you know this is the number 1 answer.  It could be enough....  is it?  SURVEY SAYS!

One thing I liked about Louie was the way he would hint to a family that they were about to get 200 points. He would tell them to go up and touch the board. I know Richard cant copy him, but I agree that he needs to build the suspense better too. The best I've seen him do was, during his first season, the family needed (I think) 2 points and their answer was butter. Richard says something like, "you need two points.......You know, I can really go for some butter.." lol.  But all in all I think all the host were good in their own ways. In fact Karn kinda reminds me of Ray.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 12:56:44 AM by Stevek83 »

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2005, 06:24:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Stevek83\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 12:55 AM\']One thing I liked about Louie was the way he would hint to a family that they were about to get 200 points. He would tell them to go up and touch the board.[/quote]

Um. I humbly yet violently object to calling what he did a "hint". And then it takes the contestant 10 seconds to cross the stage, and then the board operator is asleep . . .
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Stevek83

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2005, 08:28:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 06:24 PM\'][quote name=\'Stevek83\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 12:55 AM\']One thing I liked about Louie was the way he would hint to a family that they were about to get 200 points. He would tell them to go up and touch the board.[/quote]

Um. I humbly yet violently object to calling what he did a "hint". And then it takes the contestant 10 seconds to cross the stage, and then the board operator is asleep . . .
[snapback]79330[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yea, whatever its called. I just thought it was cool. Another thing I liked was if he knew they were gonna win he would tell the family to come over to where he and the contestant was. Its just the spontanous thing that I liked.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 08:29:13 PM by Stevek83 »

Don Howard

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2005, 04:20:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Passepartout\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 10:49 PM\']I love the Game show hosts week on the Family Feud as that's my all-time favorite!!
[snapback]78998[/snapback]
[/quote]
Good to know.
By the way, Louie Anderson's "master plan" of having a Fast Money contestant touch the screen when he was SURE! they were about to win the top prize went awry at least once when even though the family member gave the #1 answer, it still left the team a point or two shy of 200. So there they were CERTAIN! they had the $10000 (or maybe it was $20000 by then) and they're left with $990 or so. Sad. Louie did say he felt bad for them because he "was so sure". Well, as long as you felt bad, Louie. Say, Lou, yer makin' $75000 a week, why don't you cough up the dough and give it to 'em anyway since you feel so bad? What's that you say? That's what I thought.
And I prefer bananas.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 04:22:11 AM by Don Howard »

JMFabiano

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2005, 10:43:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Stevek83\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 08:28 PM\'][quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 06:24 PM\'][quote name=\'Stevek83\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 12:55 AM\']One thing I liked about Louie was the way he would hint to a family that they were about to get 200 points. He would tell them to go up and touch the board.[/quote]

[/quote]

Yea, whatever its called. I just thought it was cool. Another thing I liked was if he knew they were gonna win he would tell the family to come over to where he and the contestant was. Its just the spontanous thing that I liked.
[snapback]79348[/snapback]
[/quote]

On 100 Mexicanos Dijeron (you knew I'd pimp that show somewhere in here...) they usually have the gathering if a win seems imminent (accompanied by "Si se puede" chant, of course).  When it comes to teases, Marco has had some good ones...usually stalling the reveal by bringing random stuff up, multiple times.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

sshuffield70

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2005, 11:45:07 AM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Mar 26 2005, 09:43 AM\'][quote name=\'Stevek83\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 08:28 PM\'][quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 06:24 PM\'][quote name=\'Stevek83\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 12:55 AM\']One thing I liked about Louie was the way he would hint to a family that they were about to get 200 points. He would tell them to go up and touch the board.[/quote]

[/quote]

[snapback]79348[/snapback]
[/quote]

On 100 Mexicanos Dijeron (you knew I'd pimp that show somewhere in here...) they usually have the gathering if a win seems imminent (accompanied by "Si se puede" chant, of course).  When it comes to teases, Marco has had some good ones...usually stalling the reveal by bringing random stuff up, multiple times.
[snapback]79500[/snapback]
[/quote]

Barker does it all the time with some I call (for lack of a better phrase, not stupidity) the three times rule.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2005, 09:51:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Stevek83\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 08:28 PM\']Yea, whatever its called. I just thought it was cool. Another thing I liked was if he knew they were gonna win he would tell the family to come over to where he and the contestant was. Its just the spontanous thing that I liked.[/quote]

Yeesh . . . it was about as "spontanous" as Karn talking about taking first blood every episode.

[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Mar 26 2005, 11:45 AM\']Barker does it all the time with some I call (for lack of a better phrase, not stupidity) the three times rule.
[/quote]

How about the "On CBS today" rule?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin