Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MG "school riot"  (Read 4436 times)

melman1

MG "school riot"
« on: July 29, 2003, 08:17:08 PM »
How did this resolve itself?  Surely it couldn't have stood.  \"Scuba diving school\" was OK but \"night school\" and \"finishing school\" were not?
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
MG "school riot"
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 08:29:58 PM »
It pretty much resolved itself the way it was shown on TV... the contestant was not awarded the points for either \"finishing school\" or \"night school\".  I don't know if he was invited back... though I'm pretty sure Ira's decision on the matter was final.

Personally... if \"college\" and \"scuba diving school\" were accepted as correct, the other answers should have been as well.  But... that's just my opinion...
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

melman1

MG "school riot"
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 08:32:10 PM »
[quote name=\'bossjock967\' date=\'Jul 29 2003, 05:29 PM\'] I don't know if he was invited back... though I'm pretty sure Ira's decision on the matter was final.
 [/quote]
 Well the game ended during that episode.  I was wondering if he was invited back.  Actually I'm surprised that the question wasn't thrown out and the game restarted with a new question.  I'm sure this has been rehashed a zillion times before...

whewfan

MG "school riot"
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 08:40:46 PM »
Yes, that contestant was invited back the next week.

Kevin Prather

MG "school riot"
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 09:02:25 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jul 29 2003, 07:40 PM\'] Yes, that contestant was invited back the next week. [/quote]
 i'm glad.

initially, Scuba Diving School was rejected, but there were minor complaints. Ira explained, by way of Gene, that Scuba Diving School was too specific. A few seconds later, he asked \"Did Charles mean 'school'?\" to which CNR said \"What do you think s-c-h-o-o-l means???\", and it was then accepted. I'm surprised Ira didn't use that logic on finishing school or night school.

my initial idea, when i first saw the clip in a MOGSM special, was that Finishing School wasn't actually a school. i thought it was actually more of a camp, and the name \"school\" was a misnomer, and that's why it wasn't accepted. But when \"Night School\" wasn't accepted, my theory was shot to s***.

DISCLAIMER: I know now that it obviously is a school, and there is no need to point that out.

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
MG "school riot"
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 09:27:33 PM »

So what do you think led them to inviting back??  Pressure from CBS... or Mr. Goodson... or the celebs??
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

Kevin Prather

MG "school riot"
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2003, 09:51:10 PM »
probably all of the above, plus help from a few letters sent in by viewers.

melman1

MG "school riot"
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2003, 11:12:17 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jul 29 2003, 06:51 PM\'] plus help from a few letters sent in by viewers. [/quote]
 Unlikely since the shows were taped a few weeks in advance, right?

gtbecbp

MG "school riot"
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2003, 10:45:04 AM »
I'm glad they invited him back.  It was somewhat dishearting to see that he didn't get those points for the other \"school\" answers.

Ben

Kevin Prather

MG "school riot"
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2003, 12:32:55 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Jul 29 2003, 10:12 PM\'] [quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jul 29 2003, 06:51 PM\'] plus help from a few letters sent in by viewers. [/quote]
Unlikely since the shows were taped a few weeks in advance, right? [/quote]
 aah. very possible. maybe people that were in the audience complained, or it might have just been pressure from CBS / Mark Goodson.

uncamark

MG "school riot"
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2003, 04:21:29 PM »
So what do you think led them to inviting back??  Pressure from CBS... or Mr. Goodson... or the celebs??

As the game stood, his opponent matched all six panelists on her second round question (I believe that's what I saw, since they called the game on the fourth win match--although Dawson was loath to show his card, it looked like he and Patti matched).  Since the contestant would've matched all six if the answers were considered matches, the game would've ended in a tie.  Since we had a contested judgment that very definitely affected the outcome of the game, S&P had no choice but to tell Ira that he had to bring the contestant back.  This is a cut-and-dried decision that would've been made even if the panelists hadn't protested.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2003, 04:21:54 PM by uncamark »