Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale of the Century  (Read 3557 times)

JayDLewis

$ale of the Century
« on: March 12, 2005, 11:56:37 AM »
2 weeks ago, or so, someone mentioned a $otC game where you could pick a whole bunch of options etc etc etc.

I wrote up a FLASH control, like the Pyramid one I did a few months ago, so you too can be Jim Perry (or a reasonable facsimilie, or Garagiola...take your pick). And it's only about 300Kb...about 5 minutes to DL for dial-up users.

It is NOT a "full game" and doesn't include any bonus round or fame game. It's essentially a podium control. You even get to choose between Rainbow or "classic" light displays.

If you have a problem with the look and feel of the game...too bad. If you find a technical problem, please email me.

http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/lewisj/pyramid/sotc.zip
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
$ale of the Century
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 12:11:08 PM »
so far, I like it...nicely done. will you add any of the gizmos and gadgets, or is this the final product?

jmangin

$ale of the Century
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 04:09:16 PM »
It's cool.  However, the speedround clock counts down at 5/6 time.  Also, there are three loud bells to signal the end of the speedround, not a buzzer.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
$ale of the Century
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 04:33:43 PM »
Who had 2:09 PM for when the first person would post a non-technical problem?  You win the pool.

On that note, I did notice that the clock ran faster than it should.
Travis L. Eberle

SplitSecond

$ale of the Century
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 04:57:03 PM »
The lockout system isn't a functional lockout system.  If all three players jump in simultaneously, all three desks light up simultaneously.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
$ale of the Century
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 05:08:31 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Mar 12 2005, 04:57 PM\']The lockout system isn't a functional lockout system.  If all three players jump in simultaneously, all three desks light up simultaneously.
[snapback]77988[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's why you have to read the controls file.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
$ale of the Century
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 08:36:11 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Mar 12 2005, 04:33 PM\']On that note, I did notice that the clock ran faster than it should.
[/quote]
I thought it did too..the clock "beep" seemed out of sync for some reason with the time.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

JayDLewis

$ale of the Century
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 01:20:59 PM »
OK, I think I've got the speed round clock issues taken care of.

Strikerz: I hadn't planned on adding anything else to it.

Re the lockouts, yeah it isn't perfect but it's not like you're playing for a cash jackpot of $72,000 in your living room.

Also, you can get at the file through
http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/lewisj/pyramid/index.html

aaron sica

$ale of the Century
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 01:57:06 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' date=\'Mar 13 2005, 01:20 PM\']
Re the lockouts, yeah it isn't perfect but it's not like you're playing for a cash jackpot of $72,000 in your living room.

[snapback]78051[/snapback]
[/quote]

How do you know that??? Last night I had some friends over and tons of bills in a glass suitcase. :)

Seriously, though, great job on this. I downloaded it last night, and it looks like it could be a lot of fun with a crowd.

JayDLewis

$ale of the Century
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 02:03:50 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Mar 13 2005, 01:57 PM\']
How do you know that??? Last night I had some friends over and tons of bills in a glass suitcase. :)

[/quote]

Does having a glass suitcase make it easier or harder to get through security at the airport?

aaron sica

$ale of the Century
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 02:13:39 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' date=\'Mar 13 2005, 02:03 PM\']
Does having a glass suitcase make it easier or harder to get through security at the airport?
[snapback]78053[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's how I confuse security at an airport. They're torn between letting me through because they can see all my belongings, but the glass suitcase could also be smashed over someone's head and used as a weapon. :)

jmangin

$ale of the Century
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 11:25:47 PM »
Back to the lockouts...

An easy way to fix the problem would be to start a conditional loop once a lockout has been activated.

Once the player activates his lockout, start a conditional loop that continues to repeat until a key signifying a correct or incorrect answer--or the "clear the board" key has been pressed.  This will keep that player's lockout lit until you make a ruling regarding his/her answer and prevent other lockouts from "working" and lighting up.  You could also automate the scoring adjustments with this.

I would definitely include the "clear the board" key in this loop because during the Fame Game questions the player doesn't lose money for a wrong answer or gain money until they pick from the board.

That should help out.

Also, hate to be a nag but the clock still counts at 5/6 time on my end.  Are you using the system clock to time the game or framesets?