Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pulling a "Larsen" on WoF...  (Read 14787 times)

zachhoran

Pulling a "Larsen" on WoF...
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2003, 08:32:09 AM »
[quote name=\'willmorris\' date=\'Aug 5 2003, 03:14 AM\'] Just asking, what is this "Thrill of Victory" loss?  I was only 3 when it happened and do not remember it. [/quote]
 Probably the closest thing to a Larsen moment ever happening on WOF, a lady spun the $5K several times, ultimately ending up with $62,400 in her bank(this happened in 1985 on the syndie version, back in the shopping days). The puzzle read THE THRI-- OF -I-TORY AND THE AGONY OF DEFEAT. The contestant then called an S. She did not win that round.

ALso: THere was time for a fourth round on that show, and another lady won the game thanks to a $5K Speed Up spin in the last round. That lady won a car in the bonus round and was among the more excited contestants in WOF history.

ChuckNet

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2003, 11:53:14 AM »
Probably the closest thing to a Larsen moment ever happening on WOF, a lady spun the $5K several times, ultimately ending up with $62,400 in her bank(this happened in 1985 on the syndie version, back in the shopping days). The puzzle read THE THRI-- OF -I-TORY AND THE AGONY OF DEFEAT. The contestant then called an S. She did not win that round.

And IIRC, the \"T\" also wasn't called at that point.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

zachhoran

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2003, 02:34:53 PM »
I seem to remember from 18 year old memory that L,V, and C were the letters not called at the point where the $62,400 contestant lost her turn. If someone has the episode in question from OB (I don't think GSN ever aired the 1985-86 syndie season as yet), they could tell us :)

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2003, 11:17:52 PM »
First, that position is set where it is because of the camera shot of the $5K space, just like the camera shot of every other TDV over the course of the show. Frames it right between Player 1 and Player 2, IIRC.

I certainly believe your past comments on rarely ever watching WoF nowadays, Chris, as they haven't done camera shots of the TDVs for several years now. About the only time Pat even mentions the $5K space anymore is when he's throwing to the second commercial and one player has a big lead.

Secondly, you seem to be under the delusion that the producers WANT Pat to nail the $5K space. Sure, maybe once every week or two, but I promise you they're not gonna set things up so that he has a higher-than-normal chance of hitting it, I don't care what their prize budget is. That gets expensive.

Considering that the time-is-short sound only goes off at the beginning of the fourth (or fifth or sixth) round maybe twice a week nowadays, the odds could certainly be in alignment with the producers' wishes.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2003, 11:56:09 AM »
As a contestant, I'd certainly spin harder if the big money was beyond where my normal spin would wind up, and softer if it was closer. Doing anything else is just dumb. Trying to enforce a rule saying I can't do so is also dumb, because my intent is unprovable.

Peter captured most of my thoughts. When I first heard of the rule, it was phrased so vaguely that they could cover themselves in any situation. So they can basically say \"we sense you may realize the wheel goes here when you spin it this hard...so don't.\" I found it ludicrous too...if you know the wheel's going to end up in a certain general area, why can't you spin for it?

But, like Matt has once said, the game's rules don't conform to you/us, you follow them, that's why their rules...so, whatever.

-Jason
« Last Edit: August 07, 2003, 11:58:07 AM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2003, 12:11:03 PM »
Sorry I joined this thread late...I'm just getting around to having my say...

Basically, what I'm saying is, like PYL, WoF is beatable.

Yes, whoserman, but the bible prevents it, and most people can't phrenagle (I was tired of seeing finesse :) the wheel that way anyhow.

As for Chris and Matt and their aversion to \"Pat hits $5k\" the assessment that he hits it or comes close when he spins is true. He had a little ways to go the other night I watched, and had to put a little more oomph...got within 3 spaces. I believe the interview Matt refers to are older.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck